Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #151
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you set up a plex server to put all the stuff you download/rip into a nice library? Then get the Roku plex app which lets you browse your library which will have show descriptions, air dates, etc. The Plex channel is still beta so it has a few problems.

That said, I think I am going to re-up with cable TV service. Now that I don't have the service I can add TV to my phone/internet service for $10 a month (only $2 a month more than Hulu Plus) more than I am currently paying. Seems worth it to not have to worry about d/l-ing stuff.

I will still keep the Roku to stream other stuff and to use Plex for my ripped TV and Movie DVDs. Also, I will use the Roku to view rented/bought movies and TV shows from Amazon On-Demand.

Of course, I would love to get two LG Smart TV's (one for the TV room and one for the master bedroom), they also have a Plex client built into them without needing the Roku box.

BOb

I haven't tried Plex. I use Nero MediaHome for my LG & Samsung and PC Media Share Manager but that's for the Samsung only. Nero came with the LG, so I'm assuming that they now use Plex?? Is that the same type of thing? Hmm... perhaps I should look into that.

Quote:
One other consideration was an Apple TV rather than a Roku. The biggest issue with that is I would have had to use something like iVi to grab all the meta data and put the show into iTunes. I still may go this route... although I think it is too late for me to return my Roku.

BOb
Yeah, I think Apple will need a little convincing. They tend to be too proprietary for my tastes.

Quote:
Did you get a Hulu Plus trial?

BOb
I had Hulu Plus last year when it first came out. There wasn't enough HD content for my liking. Granted, it got it the first month it was out, so I'm sure it has improved. Improved enough for me to give up cable?? I'm not so sure about that.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #152
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course, I would love to get two LG Smart TV's (one for the TV room and one for the master bedroom), they also have a Plex client built into them without needing the Roku box.
I need to figure out why my LG's Netcast hasn't updated to the new Smart TV. I might have to side load it in, if I can find it.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #153
SolRaven
Wizard

Hey, PilotBob, where can I find the Plex app on Roku? I was looking for it but can't find it. I already downloaded it onto my computer.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #154
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Hey, PilotBob, where can I find the Plex app on Roku? I was looking for it but can't find it. I already downloaded it onto my computer.
It's a beta so it is a private app. Just sign into your Roku account, under Manage Account you should see, Add a Private Channel.

Once there just type in "plex" and that should add the channel.

Here is the blog entry about it:

http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/05/03/plex-on-the-roku/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #155
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You need to get the Plex server set up and running... point it to your TV/Movie folders so it can scan them and go out and download all the metadata. (If you haven't already don't so of course.)

BOb
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #156
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
We've been without any sort of premium TV for ...well, a long time, LOL. I recently did get a Netflix subscription, which we stream through the computer hooked up to the TV in the living room.
The only thing I wish is that they had more older series available for instant viewing rather than making you get the discs for those.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #157
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Thinking on cutting the cable service as well and use Netflix only. But need to provide strong evidence to my wife,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #158
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
You need to get the Plex server set up and running... point it to your TV/Movie folders so it can scan them and go out and download all the metadata. (If you haven't already don't so of course.)
I scanned a few folders and can see everything on my computer, but for some reason, my Roku can't find the server on my computer. I can't figure out what I'm missing. It seems like it's more simple than Samsung's PC Media Share or Nero MediaHome4 and both of those work perfectly. Hmmm...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #159
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I scanned a few folders and can see everything on my computer, but for some reason, my Roku can't find the server on my computer. I can't figure out what I'm missing. It seems like it's more simple than Samsung's PC Media Share or Nero MediaHome4 and both of those work perfectly. Hmmm...
Whats the IP address of your computer and of your Roku?

BOb
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #160
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Whats the IP address of your computer and of your Roku?

BOb
Where would I find those?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #161
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Where would I find those?
Ok... I think in RoKu it is in the system settings/info menu.

On your PC, it depends on the OS. but for most all windows version if you open a command window and type...

ipconfig /all

it will show you your IP address.

you can also look on the Roku forms... I think I saw a thread about this issue there. I don't recall what the problems were.

BOb
Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #162
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Ok... I think in RoKu it is in the system settings/info menu.

On your PC, it depends on the OS. but for most all windows version if you open a command window and type...

ipconfig /all

it will show you your IP address.

you can also look on the Roku forms... I think I saw a thread about this issue there. I don't recall what the problems were.

BOb
Oddly, I left it alone for a while, came back to it today and all was fine. I started thinking that maybe I would keep the Roku and put it on another TV. So, I started streaming a movie that I had already streamed on the LG and Samsung for comparison, and for some reason, it only streams when I have it on a low SDTV setting, which looks less-than-great on an HDTV. So now I'm back to figuring out if it'll stream in HD. It should stream in HD, it's supposed to be their newest and best Roku, the XDS. Hmmm...
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #163
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Oddly, I left it alone for a while, came back to it today and all was fine. I started thinking that maybe I would keep the Roku and put it on another TV. So, I started streaming a movie that I had already streamed on the LG and Samsung for comparison, and for some reason, it only streams when I have it on a low SDTV setting, which looks less-than-great on an HDTV. So now I'm back to figuring out if it'll stream in HD. It should stream in HD, it's supposed to be their newest and best Roku, the XDS. Hmmm...
Hi Sol,

How's your experience with Roku so far? Are you able to see local USA programming, like news, via Roku? and which Roku box or model do you recommend me.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #164
Pap at LKN
Pap at LKN began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Bob,

You sound like a man after my own heart. I had the basic digital cable with HDTV, no premium, and the price went up to $85 a month. I found a site, TVFool.com that will show you what Over The Air signals you can get at your location, and what type of antenna you need.

I live 30-35 miles away from the stations that I want, and they lie in 3 different directions. I did cut my cable, and have been experimenting with different antennae, and would like to get a 25-30 foot tower to get them up a little higher, but doing fine with the 4 network stations, and PBS. About the only thing I miss are the cable news shows.

We had been using Netflix, and streaming their movies, augmented by Blockbuster rentals.

I'm going to look into the utorrent RSS that you suggested. I have not been using RSS on the net.

I've probably spent over $200 on antennas and preamps, experimenting to find the best combination, but at a savings of $85 a month, life is great.
Pap at LKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #165
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hi Sol,

How's your experience with Roku so far? Are you able to see local USA programming, like news, via Roku? and which Roku box or model do you recommend me.
I don't recommend any at the moment. The channel choices are definitely not worth it IMO. What I would use it for and planned on using it for is streaming RSS feeds and movies from my computer. If that worked well, I'd consider keeping it. Right now it's only streaming SDTV onto my HDTV. The only reason I have it hooked up to that TV is so that I can compare files streamed via Roku and via LG's built in WiFi. The Roku has more features, but I can't get it to stream without pixelation like I can on the TV's built in WiFi system.