Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Personally, I have problems with a "best" list. By what standards do you judge?
In this case, it'll be a list of the best fiction books of each of the ten decades of the 20th Century, as decided upon by a vote of MobileRead members, using whatever "best" criteria they individually wish.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I forgot to put a time limit on nominations. I don't want people to feel rushed, but I don't want to forget to make up the voting list either. So:

Nominations will be open until the end of April 2015, or until a full 7 days have passed since the last nomination, whichever comes SOONER.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #48
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
In the Skin of a Lion, Michael Ondaatje, 1983.

It's way better than The English Patient. They probably didn't make a movie out of it because the hero is a terrorist. Also Coming Through Slaughter is way better than the English Patient.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #49
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
1901-1910. Edith Nesbit's The Psaemmead Trilogy (Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Story of the Amulet).

1911-1920: The 39 steps by John Buchan

1921-1930: -

1931-1940: At the mountains of madness by H.P. Lovecraft

1941-1950: I, Robot by Isaac Assimov.

1951-1960: Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

1961-1970: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

1971-1980: Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

1981-1990: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

1991-2000: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

If anyone's looking to fill out the start of their list, then The Man who was Thursday was written in 1908.

Last edited by EndlessWaves; 03-29-2015 at 01:27 PM.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Gone with the Wind, 1936.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #51
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I am going to have to read the winner of the 1911-1920 category just to say I read a book published in every decade of the 20th century.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #52
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^You haven't read anything from that decade? I did that challenge a couple of years ago. It was a fun way to look for books.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #53
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^You haven't read anything from that decade? I did that challenge a couple of years ago. It was a fun way to look for books.
Nope. I'd be more likely to read a book published in every year of the 21st century. I like the newer stuff
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #54
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Nope. I'd be more likely to read a book published in every year of the 21st century. I like the newer stuff
Lol. I'm only 2004, 2008, and 2015 from completing the 21st century this year already.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #55
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I am going to have to read the winner of the 1911-1920 category just to say I read a book published in every decade of the 20th century.
For me, I haven't read anything from the 1960's since I have been keeping track in 2011.

Not sure why I haven't read any yet, there are some good ones from the looks of it, just hasn't happened yet. I am sure I have read several (Dune for starters) before I started keeping track, but I couldn't say how many.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #56
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
1901-1910: The Diaries of Adam and Eve
1911-1920: Of Human Bondage
1921-1930: An American Tragedy
1931-1940: Of Mice and Men
1941-1950: The Stranger
1951-1960: On the Road
1961-1970:Where the Wild Things Are
1971-1980: The Dispossessed
1991-2000: Snow Crash

Last edited by spellbanisher; 03-26-2015 at 03:29 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
1941 - 1950 Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #58
Grey Ram
Enthusiast
Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Last half of the century

All the books I wanted to nominate at the start of the century have been covered, but as we get near the end there are considerable more choices. Interesting.
I nominate
1951-1960 East of Eden by John Steinbeck
1961-1970 Cien Años de Soledad (One hundred years of solitude) by Gabriel García Márquez
1971-1980 The Shining by Stephen King
1981-1990 Neuromancer by William Gibson
1991-2000 O Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo (The gospel according to Jesus Christ) by José Saramago
Grey Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #59
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
1911-1920: Under Fire by Henri Barbusse
1921-1930: A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
1961-1970: The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
1981-1990: Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #60
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My two are on there. Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Rings. I'd probalby add To Kill a Mockingbird, the Godfather, and Watership Down

Last edited by drofgnal; 03-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote