Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #46
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Not a shift for me -- from the beginning I've continued to read "hard copy" books as well as ebooks. In fact, I'm reading one right now. We have a perfectly good library in town and I have no problem with reading from paper. Mostly, I'm a reader -- the medium isn't a defining factor for me.

But, yes, price is a major factor in decisions like this. Aside from borrowing for free from the library, the cheapest option for my current (paper) book would be to buy a used hardcover edition for $2, but I don't have room for all that many hardcovers these days. If the ebook price drops near that price, and if I like the book enough that I might want to read it again some day, I'll buy an ebook copy.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #47
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Of the 28 books I've read this year (a number which pales in comparison to the apparent average of other posters - I'm a slow reader, and dyslexic), 11 have been ebooks - and this is reflective of my ereading behaviour ever since I began purchasing ebooks. Aside from a small 'honeymoon period' when I downloaded hundreds of Kindle freebies and left my physical books and local library untouched for several months, I've never deliberately favoured one 'format'. By and large, my purchases are dictated not by format but by price - I want to pursue the story at an affordable price, regardless of format.
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #48
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I occasionally read pbooks, either if I have it already or if I really want to read a book and it isn't available as an ebook (which seems to happen less often than a couple of years ago). However, this year I haven't read a pbook yet and last year, I think, only one.

Although I live in a big city in the Netherlands and the big bookstores have English books their selection isn't that big and they're more expensive than the ebook version. I also like that with an ebook I don't have to think in advance what I want to read next week before going to the store or ordering online (I don't order at the store because the guy running the English department always wonders if I will pick up the book I ordered), I can just buy it when I'm in the mood for it and download it immediately.

As other's have said I also love that an ereader is so small. When I went on holiday in the past my suitcase/bag was mostly filled with books, now I just fill up my Kindle (if I don't take my notebook with me) and have a lot more space for other things.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #49
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Nope.
Ebook (readers) are a divine blessing for me.
Before ebooks I was only able to read a few books a year.
High costs(I was living in a village) and lack of space made book reading something of a luxury.
Now I am somewhat spoiled.I want my library(or the majority) with me and I want to be able to carry it without fuss.
Also I love the frontlight.Trully allowed me to read in the night.I hate to read with normal lamplight.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #50
Ndaara
I like frogs.
Ndaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony T2, Kindle Fire
I just went through this last week: I am reading a series, and have the beginning and end of the series in ebooks, but the middle of the series I have in a mix of paper book formats. No problem, I thought... until I was reading a paperback and it was making me nuts >< Got all the way through one, but when the next book was another paperback, I gave up and bought the ebook.

The only books I prefer in paper are cookbooks, because I make notes to myself. I finally figured out how to make notations on .pdfs, though, so that's changing a bit too.

A few years ago, I turned 40, and suddenly needed reading glasses. I think changing the font size is much nicer than remembering where I left my readers.

All that said, if I really want to read something, I'll read it in whatever format I can get!
Ndaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #51
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I had been almost 100% ebook until recently. I joined a book group and they will keep choosing books that aren't available as ebooks

Has anyone experienced this supposed effect where you retain more when reading from paper? As my memory deteriorates I'm intrigued as to whether it's true.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
On cookbooks, I use Kindle App to get to the recipie I want, go to Marvin and search by the name, copy the recipie, save the recipie in my recipie app, and make notes and changes there. Love it. And my recipies travel with me and are easily shared.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #53
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ninjalawyer, I was basically 100% e-book, but....

I have discovered the new(ish) rereleases of Doc Savage, with all the edits taken out. I will be adding those to the mix....

(Sadly, Conde Nast still doesn't want to release the old pulps in e-book format...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #54
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I still prefer reading ebooks even though, as I mentioned, I've definitely been reading more physical books lately. I think the reasons are really: (i) I've been focused on Kobo for new books, and Kobo has been letting me down in the price department lately; and (ii) if I hear about a book that sounds interesting, I'll run to Kobo and if I'm turned off by the price I'll most likely forget about the book rather than shop around online, but will pick up the physical book later if I see it in a store.

As someone pointed out, I should really be checking Luzme (or the search in Calibre), but Kobo was cheap for awhile and it conveniently syncs across my Kobo ereader and my iPhone. My real problem may just been locking myself into Kobo's ecosystem. Since starting this thread, I've switched from a Kobo to a Nexus 7, so will probably just start using Google's book app; I don't know how that app compares to other Android apps, but it does sync across devices for epubs I upload to Google's app store.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Just open a whole bunch of stores in Firefox, and stay logged in. Save all the tabs in one folder. When you're going to look for a book, search the ISBN in all stores, and you can quickly compare. Buy at the cheapest: done.

Is there no EPUB price comparator somewhere?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #56
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there no EPUB price comparator somewhere?
http://luzme.com/

Frequently times out for me, though.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #57
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
http://luzme.com/
Frequently times out for me, though.
I looked for Luzme as soon as Ninjalawyer mentioned it. I've been getting a bad gateway error message ever since.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-14-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #58
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I looked for Luzme as soon as Ninjalawyer mentioned it. I've been getting a bad gateway error message ever since.
Yep. Me too. I think we broke it...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #59
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
Luzme alive again

Thanks for trying luzme.com; I'm sorry it broke!

I do believe it's fixed now, please let me know if it's not...

Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #60
Ndaara
I like frogs.
Ndaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueNdaara can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony T2, Kindle Fire
Front page came up for me a couple of times, but 504 Gateway Timeout every time I tried a search... Now the front page gives same 504. Sorry we broke your site >< It did work a couple of days ago!!
Ndaara is offline   Reply With Quote