Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
conversion of formulas

Dear ebookLuke, first of all thanks a million, this extension is great
I just succesfully completed the conversion of a file full of graphs, formulas and tables - I was sure it could not cope with all this, in fact I have been proven wrong, all has gone through.

There is one problem, though, namely that formulas come out very very tiny (in practice, they are unreadable - I am using Calibre as an ereader, since I am still waiting for an ebook reader): is this a known problem, or is tehr something I should change in the conversion settings?

Again, many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Hi,

are the formulas stored as images? If so, plese note that the images are dimensioned as a % of the display width, depending on the original proportions.
This means that in the original document the image was 50% of the page width, in the epub this will be always the 50% of the display width. In a small display an image containing text or formulas can be unreadable.

This behavior was choosen to reproduce as good as possible the aspect of the original docuent.

Anyway, please send to me the original document to see the problem. The email is writer2epub[at]gmail.com

Thanks

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
are the formulas stored as images?
the formulas were Microsoft equation 3 format, however I now see that upon opening this file in open office, it treats them as pictures, so this probably explains. I guess I would be able to solve the problem if I could find a way for open office to read the formulas as formulas, and not pictures. But even so, there is an issue, as if I create a file in open office with formulas, and then save it as rtf, upon conversion to epub the formulas simply disappear.
Anyhow, many thanks, I have sent you the file in question.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Unfortunately, ePub doesn't encompass the mathml standard.

The best option thus far seems to be using .pdf --- if one wants to stick w/ ePub, then converting the equations into .svg graphics --- which unfortunately loses all context of the elements.

There needs to be a better option or we'll be reduced to either ascii math .tex source or writing out equations long-hand as was done in the days before Thomas Harriot (Let _x_ be a variable manipulated so that....)

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I d say too type them isolated with special software (there's nuff OSS out there to do this) and save them as SVG
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

thanks guys - with images replacing formula it would take me forever, and at point pdf is definitely more practical (and can be obtained from my source file in an instant), not to mention that I can still live with .rtf, though I hate having to rely on non open source software. And I just love the versatility of epub - I am in no hurry, for the moment happy to enjoy this converter as it is.. plus, we live in hope