Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Text aligned on the bottom of the page?

Hello

Maybe I miss something, but I have a big problem, trying to do this in epub.

I have this book, that I want to convert into an ebook (epub). On the last page, there are a few lines, talking about the author. This lines are on the bottom of the page. I would love to do exactly the same in my ebook. Is that possible?

I tried it with div, but either I am doing something wrong, or it ain't that easy.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
gardefjord
Enthusiast
gardefjord began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Nook, Bookeen, Sony Reader
You could salve it by turning the text into an image. Have you had a look at the SVG tag?
gardefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
On the last page, there are a few lines, talking about the author. This lines are on the bottom of the page. I would love to do exactly the same in my ebook. Is that possible?
I'm afraid it isn't. The current ePUB specification is lacking in the area of page layout, particularly in everything that depends on screen/page height...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm afraid it isn't. The current ePUB specification is lacking in the area of page layout, particularly in everything that depends on screen/page height...
As it should be! you can't know the page size of the device that will be showing the book. You can specify some padding at the top of the paragraph which will move the data down the page a bit but it might result in a blank page with the data appearing on the next one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As it should be! you can't know the page size of the device that will be showing the book.
That's why we'd need some way of working with that.

Compare with horizontal positioning. You can't know the page width either, yet you can specify some text to be left-aligned, right-aligned or centered in a page, regardless of it's true size (within sensible limits).

But this can't be done with vertical layout, because there's no concept of page height (and if you set a <div>'s height to 50%, it's actually half the width of the page!). The XHTML+CSS model works better with scrollable media than with paged media. While it could be tricky, there's no fundamental reason why vertical layout could not be added to ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert