Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Best reader for my grandmother.

I'm looking for the simplest ereader for my grandmother, who is not very tech savy, for her birthday on monday. What one has the simplest to use interface. I doubt she would use wifi and an onboard store, but it can't hurt.

How is the new Kobo? With only a directional pad, it looks simple, but without seeing one in person, it is hard to make a judgement (and my local borders just closed so I would have to drive to the next closest one or web order.)

Just looking for ideas, thanks!

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Since you own a Sony PRS or two, wouldn't it be best to suggest that for her? That way, if she runs into trouble - you're already familiar with the eReader and can help her out with her questions?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I think the Kindle would be the easiest for her to use, but I wouldn't bother with the WiFi. Get her the 3G so she can buy books easily. You could set her up with an Amazon account with gift card or her credit card if she wants to buy books. If she prefers to get library books then I recommend the Sony or nook, but neither is easy to use for someone not computer or electronic device savvy. Has she tried to use your Sonys? Has she even expressed an interest in an electronic reader. If she really doesn't want it, it will be a very expensive device sitting up on a closet shelf. Let her try yours first.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Maybe it would depend on her age... Grandmothers come in a wide variety of ages
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Yes, it would depend on her age. I am 67 years of age, a grandmother, and am quite computer savvy, but most people I know who are my age are not. Of course, I am not talking about the older people here on this board. This is a very "rare" group.

Oh, and I absolutely love all my electronic gadgets.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Hi dcross9818,

I recommend Kindle 3. You can find its pros and cons on the "Which one should I buy" forum, compared to many other devices.

but hmm, if your grand's birthday is on next Monday, it can be a little too late now to order Kindle....
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
I think the Kindle would be the easiest for her to use, but I wouldn't bother with the WiFi. Get her the 3G so she can buy books easily. You could set her up with an Amazon account with gift card or her credit card if she wants to buy books. If she prefers to get library books then I recommend the Sony or nook, but neither is easy to use for someone not computer or electronic device savvy. Has she tried to use your Sonys? Has she even expressed an interest in an electronic reader. If she really doesn't want it, it will be a very expensive device sitting up on a closet shelf. Let her try yours first.
as has been suggested the "which one should I buy" forum might give you some more ideas. I do have to vote for the Kindle because of ease of use, and that you could remotely order things for her and send them to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Maybe it would depend on her age... Grandmothers come in a wide variety of ages
and abilities! one of my Grans at 90 was a whiz on her computer, sending everyone emails and having a great time! if e readers had been around that retired librarian would have been delighted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Hi dcross9818,

I recommend Kindle 3. You can find its pros and cons on the "Which one should I buy" forum, compared to many other devices.

but hmm, if your grand's birthday is on next Monday, it can be a little too late now to order Kindle....
unless they live close to one another and he can get one from Target or Staples (?) Best Buy (?)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Something simple to use like the Opus, but maybe with larger (6") screen?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
First thing is where she is going to get her books from. You say that
Quote:
I doubt she would use wifi and an onboard store
so does that mean you will be making all the purchases/downloads and loading them onto her device? Since you already have a couple of Sonys, I would lean towards sticking with epub readers - that way you can just use your account and authorise another device. I think the Sonys have a very intuitive interface once the books are loaded, but I haven't spent very much time with the others. I'm not sure whether a touch interface is a good idea for a non-tech savvy user either.

If she is likely to want to make her own purchases, the Kindle is widely considered the simplest to use. If she wants to borrow library books, go with an epub reader. I believe that even with wi-fi or 3g library books still have to be sideloaded, so she will at least have to learn how to do that, or have someone do it for her. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My dad is a grandfather - 73-yrs old - and not tech savvy at all. But he has the Kindle 3 and loves it!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Although I have a Libra Pro, I vote for the Kobo becuase of what I have heard from Kobo owners. Appears to be the simplest to use.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Thanks for all the replies, she is going to be 82 on the 10th. I've got a ton of epub books (and so does my sister) so I was leaning towards something that can read them. I live with her so me loading the books on for her would not be a problem. She is not tech savy at all (even the TV remote control gives her problems) so thats why I was considering the Kobo since it is only a directional pad, but since no one mentioned it, it kind of scares me away from it.

As far as her using one, that is what actually sparked this idea in my head. I overheard her asking to borrow my sister's PRS-600 (which I think would be better for her than a new 650/350, I love the new interface, but the old one just seems simplier/bigger.)

The only problem with the kindle is the full keyboard on the device, I think that might intimidate her.

Again, thanks for the response and sorry I didn't put more detail in last night (it was right before bedtime, I was sleepy :-) )

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross9818 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, she is going to be 82 on the 10th. I've got a ton of epub books (and so does my sister) so I was leaning towards something that can read them. I live with her so me loading the books on for her would not be a problem. She is not tech savy at all (even the TV remote control gives her problems) so thats why I was considering the Kobo since it is only a directional pad, but since no one mentioned it, it kind of scares me away from it.

As far as her using one, that is what actually sparked this idea in my head. I overheard her asking to borrow my sister's PRS-600 (which I think would be better for her than a new 650/350, I love the new interface, but the old one just seems simplier/bigger.)

The only problem with the kindle is the full keyboard on the device, I think that might intimidate her.

Again, thanks for the response and sorry I didn't put more detail in last night (it was right before bedtime, I was sleepy :-) )

---dcross9818
I think if you get a skin and make sure you leave the keys covered it won't be too bad. also when you do make accidental key strikes a simple page forward will remove the strike without turning the page. maybe take her to a Target (are you in the US?) and let her handle one
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
trude
trude began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a sony 650 touch, which has many advantages, not least the ability to increase the font size (good for failing eye sight!) I have had it since Christmas, and with my son's assistance seem to be making progress (and yes I am a grandmother)
trude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Don't be scared of the Kobo! I didn't mention it because I have no experience with it personally, but reports are generally good. When I was making my decision I found it very worthwhile going through the forums here for each of the devices I was considering. This gave me a good idea of what issues other users were having, and whether it was something that might be important for me. I had it narrowed down to Sony and Pocketbook (I don't think Kobo was around much then) and went with the Sony based on price (at the time).

If you are loading the books, then really it's just the device navigation to worry about. I would suggest staying away from a touchscreen - too much chance of an accidental swipe or touch that will take her somewhere she doesn't want to go without knowing how to get back. If her eyesight is reasonably good, then the sony 300 is very simple, and probably very cheap if you can find one. It has the old screen tech, and is 5", but my eyesight's pretty bad and I love mine.

Definitely look at the Kobos - by all accounts quite good and ideal for your grandmother. Given the additional information I would drop the Kindle from consideration - no epub support and the connectivity and 1-click buying is not relevant. If you can, go to a store (or several) with your grandmother and let her try out the different user interfaces without any instruction. A good user interface should be intuitive.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote