Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool personal doc tag

Since I'm getting a minimum of response from the Calibre forum I thought I'd try here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
When converting to .mobi for use on a Kindle what are the ramifications of changing the 'personal doc' tag from the default of [PDOC] to [EBOK]. What are the ramifications of removing the tag and leaving the field blank? Are these the same for use on a Kindle Fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
for the fire, removing the tag makes it show up under books instead of under docs. that's the only effect i've seen so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
For the Fire I had my daughter (via a skype chat) drag them to the Books folder on the Fire and they all showed up immediately upon disconnecting the USB connection. I had converted them with an [EBOK] tag instead of the default [PDOC]. So I'm trying to find out what effect it will have by me setting the Calibre preferences on MOBI output to [EBOK] for all my MOBI conversions. I have a Kindle Keyboard, not a Fire.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Honestly, Alan, I don't know what the ramifications are. I made the change on my Calibre, to ensure that books transferred to the Fire show up in Books, but I don't know what other ramifications there are - so far none that have annoyed me or that I've even noticed. But you might actually get more response on the Fire subforum - I suspect a lot of folks who hang out there are like me - they _use_ Calibre, but they don't spend any time here. But I know there was some back and forth there about this, just don't remember what the resolution was.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool personal doc tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Honestly, Alan, I don't know what the ramifications are. I made the change on my Calibre, to ensure that books transferred to the Fire show up in Books, but I don't know what other ramifications there are - so far none that have annoyed me or that I've even noticed. But you might actually get more response on the Fire subforum - I suspect a lot of folks who hang out there are like me - they _use_ Calibre, but they don't spend any time here. But I know there was some back and forth there about this, just don't remember what the resolution was.
Yeah, I've been there. It seemed like everyone who posted had a somewhat different take on the subject. So I decided that since either Kovid or someone else on the Calibre development team actually made [PDOC] the default that they's know why that was done and what might be the ramifications of changing it.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only ramification is that any book that has the tag [PDOC] will have its book type set to PDOC when creating the MOBI. This means different things on different geenrations of Kindles. Just leave it alone, unless you actually have books tagged with [PDOC] in your library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool personal doc tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The only ramification is that any book that has the tag [PDOC] will have its book type set to PDOC when creating the MOBI. This means different things on different geenrations of Kindles. Just leave it alone, unless you actually have books tagged with [PDOC] in your library.
I have a Kindle Keyboard and have recently set the personal doc tag (because I was told to do so in another thread) to [EBOK] so the book I was currently preparing for my grandaughter would work properly on her new Kindle Fire. To stay compatible for other books that she might want, I changed the default personal doc tag to [EBOK] in my Calibre preferences (she does not have Calibre, she drags and drops her books from her mom's MAC to her Fire). I'm just trying to find out if this'll cause any problems for me and my Kindle Keyboard.

Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait till you get your Fire, then you can check for yourself what the ramifications are.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool personal doc tag

Quote:
Wait till you get your Fire, then you can check for yourself what the ramifications are.
That's the problem, I'm not getting a Fire (sticking with my Kindle keyboard) and she's 3,000 miles away. That's why I need to check with a knowledgeable source of information. I figured it would be easier just to make all my MOBIs the same if it won't cause me problems on my Kindle Keyboard and still be good for her on her new Fire.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well I'm afraid I have no idea, I don't actually use Kindles, so...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

personal doc tag

Quote:
Well I'm afraid I have no idea, I don't actually use Kindles, so...
I guess I'll eventually find out.