Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
"E-reader devices", naming

What about rpod, repod, readpod or readingpod?

In Norwegian the word "leseplate" is commonly used. "Lese" is Norwegian for "read" and "plate" is the same word as the English equivalent but in Norwegian it has a slightly different meaning excluding saucers and the like. Maybe the English word "pod" would be better.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post

In Norwegian the word "leseplate" is commonly used. "Lese" is Norwegian for "read" and "plate" is the same word as the English equivalent but in Norwegian it has a slightly different meaning excluding saucers and the like. Maybe the English word "pod" would be better.
I prefer names such as Fred, Bill, Mark.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Vera.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think i'll name my device spike.

that's right, my eb1150 is a bada$$.

EDIT : ok, maybe not spike, i just realized half the planet will think i named it for a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" character. some other 1940's gangster-type name. maybe Shifty. or one-eyed Mack. i'll get back to you.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of a more common term then the ones you love trolls use
when speaking to your gpods in sleep.
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think i'll name my device spike.

that's right, my eb1150 is a bada$$.

EDIT : ok, maybe not spike, i just realized half the planet will think i named it for a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" character. some other 1940's gangster-type name. maybe Shifty. or one-eyed Mack. i'll get back to you.
That was indeed my first thought. I almost posted a "William the Bloody" reference.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That was indeed my first thought. I almost posted a "William the Bloody" reference.
who is that ?

(i'm *not* actually a rabid Buffy fan, you see...)
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post

Quote:
I was thinking of a more common term then the ones you love trolls use when speaking to your gpods in sleep.
to reply in a sincere and non-trollish way to the original post, in fact i like the french term "liseuse" very much as a generic word (someone proposed that on a blog about e-book devices, but i don't remember who / which blog), which can be translated as "reader" quite simply. however i suppose you are probably looking for an english term...

other than describing it as "an ipod for books" when explaining it to my friends, i don't know if i like the term "pod". it has scary connotations of aliens who steal your brain.

but what would a gpod be now ?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
who is that ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Bloody
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
aaah... should have guessed.

Quote:
like i said...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Prospect
Other

Quote:
but what would a gpod be now ?
Trying to be as exact as possible answering this troll free question : “gpod” is an embarrassing dyslectics idiotic typo for rpod.

I am more concerned with Jobs than with other aliens when it comes to connotations. Another candidate would be to replace the vocal with an “a”:

Have you seen my readpad? It’s a Cybbok! Probably the best readpad ever.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be serious, I do not want my 505 to be called anything pod as that is too Applish.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Seeing as I am a recovering English Major, cannot thing of anything noun-pod in any way other than referencing Greek. Thus, having a device that reminds me of feet but is in no way related to feet? A bit odd.

I do like deriding trendy techy things by adding the "i" suffix. One, because an lonely I should never be left so naked and small, and two because the cult of Macs/Graphics artists sometimes annoys me.

A friend bought a Honda Element. Brought it round to show the boys. First words out of his mouth: "it plays my iPod." Thereafter, everyone calls his car the "iHonda" thanks to me.

I would name my PRS Medusa, if I were into that. Maybe, keeping with the 'pod' meme, Architeuthis

Last edited by Cthulhu; 02-19-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: embedding italics
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now, I call my Iliad "George", because, well, he looks like a George. Nothing literary at all behind it - he just looks like a George (my eleven user cameras have names too...but that's another story, like the name of my car, or the clown in the rafters of the garage, or the plastic teddy bear hanging by his neck under the house watched over by Spidey and Miow Miow...ahh, so many stories, so little time...). Anyway, his name's George. I don't talk to him (I'm not an idiot - I have dogs to speak to).

Anyway, since the whole thing is simply a book, or multiple books, or anyway potentially a big change in how we see a "book" in future, I was thinking a name like "Book II", but just calling the device a "booktoo".

It doesn't really matter I suppose. I still tell my friends and family it's an e-reader, in the same way I call a flying disk a frisbee, an insulated flask a thermos, a foam caddy for my beer an esky and a small sticky bandage a bandaid, and lest anyone be willing to take it up with me that that personal usage is inappropriate, confusing and possibly infringing trademark or copyright legislation they should note that I'm also willing to brand and brandish all of these items as an involuntary suppository - forewarned is disarmed, as they say.

So, whatever it ends up being called (since "ebook reader device" is about as elegant as a drunken giraffe on roller skates trying to look at the back of its own head), I'm all for it not starting with "i-" (quite blatantly a usage penned by someone in marketing - "first up against the wall when the revolution comes" - with a keen awareness for the penchant of us modern consumers to delight in say "I" as often as possible), nor ending in "pod" (as pods are sticky and aliens come out of them, which can't possibly be good, and besides I'm sure manufacturers won't mention the dangers of pods in the Troubleshooting Guide or will have a clause in their EULA absolving themselves from all responsibility for alien takeover).

So, bring on the naming. Perhaps something in Sumerian would be nice.

Cheers,
MarcL
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I would name my PRS Medusa, if I were into that. Maybe, keeping with the 'pod' meme, Architeuthis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Now, I call my Iliad "George", because, well, he looks like a George. (...) I don't talk to him (I'm not an idiot - I have dogs to speak to).

Anyway, since the whole thing is simply a book, or multiple books, or anyway potentially a big change in how we see a "book" in future, I was thinking a name like "Book II", but just calling the device a "booktoo".

(--snip--)

So, whatever it ends up being called (since "ebook reader device" is about as elegant as a drunken giraffe on roller skates trying to look at the back of its own head), I'm all for it not starting with "i-" (...), nor ending in "pod" (as pods are sticky and aliens come out of them, which can't possibly be good, and besides I'm sure manufacturers won't mention the dangers of pods in the Troubleshooting Guide or will have a clause in their EULA absolving themselves from all responsibility for alien takeover).

So, bring on the naming. Perhaps something in Sumerian would be nice.
best thread ever...

back on topic, i vote for Architeuthis ; i like the idea of literature deploying metaphoric tentacles and wrapping them around us as we read and are taken into the story. Medusa seems apt as well, for the fascination that reading can exercise on us and turn us apparently to stone (there is a verb in french, "méduser", of obvious etymology, which means to stupefy or petrify, it is a good way to describe what a good book can do to us), however the monstrous connotations of its origin may be dangerous... we don't want to frighten the novices after all. i also like the litteral exactitude of booktoo...

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks pods are potentially evil and treacherous.

perhaps something in sumerian *would* be nice ; plus, as a bonus, cuneiform = instant logo built right in.

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera