Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Reave
Reave is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Which reader?

Greetings,

I am currently looking at purchasing an ebook reader. I don't know which model to purchase, but I have the following "requirements".

1) I need to be able to use the device in direct, bright sunlight. I do much of my reading while on holidays; and thus I need a device that is going to work well outside, by the side of a pool.

2) Much of my reading is technical, computer programming related pdf files. Thus, I would like a reader that has good support for reading pdf files. These pdf's are sometimes password protected and utilize graphics extensively. Most "reflow" solutions I've seen to date (for things like iphone, etc) don't work well. I guess zoom/pan would be appropriate.

3) From what I've seen, the 6inch size seems to suit about what I'd be interested in. I don't think smaller screens would suit me as much (especially for the pdf's), and I don't necessarily want something too large either.

4) I'm not interested in any "wireless" solutions. I'm from Australia, so the Kindle wireless stuff is useless for me. I'm happy to hook up to a PC whenever I need to load books onto the device. Likewise, I am not interested in any mp3 players, games, etc. If the device has this, that's fine. However, I have other specialty devices for those purposes.

To date, the devices which most interest me are the Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600); the ECO Reader; & the Sony PRS-505. Will these readers be appropriate for my needs?

Have you got any other model suggestions for my requirements?
Reave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I don't know what kind of PDFs you're planning on reading, but I know that in my field, they typically come in 9 point text, two-column format. No matter how good your reflowing is, reading these on a 6" device is going to be annoying at best.

Re outside reading - I can't really comment, other than to say that a lot of people are finding the PRS 600 to suffer from glare. There are several videos that have been posted here showing the effect.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most technical PDFs are formatted for large page sizes and will not display well on a 6" device.

The best eInk device by far on the market at the moment, when it comes to dealing with large PDFs, is the iRex DR1000S, which has a 10" screen, if it is in your price range. It handles PDFs beautifully, allows you to search and annotate them, etc. Excellent device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I need to be able to use the device in direct, bright sunlight
This requirement will rule out most of the E-INK devices, since e-ink screen will get blur in direct strong sunlight. In fact, it was seldom (or never) mentioned in public data.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-01-2009 at 02:49 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
This requirement will rule out most of the E-INK devices, since e-ink screen will get blur in direct strong sunlight. In fact, it was seldom (or never) mentioned in public data.
That's a bit of a generalisation. Strong light shouldn't affect eInk screens at all. Very high temperatures can do, but if you read in the shade, that really shouldn't be an issue. I've used mine in 30 degree temperatures, and it's fine there; I don't know how well it would cope at 40+, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

I believe when I read under the sun, the temperature is not above 33 degree C. It happened several times.

I won't say direct strong sunlight will "always" cause e-ink screen get blur, but there is some correlaton definitely.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-01-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a bit of a generalisation. Strong light shouldn't affect eInk screens at all. Very high temperatures can do, but if you read in the shade, that really shouldn't be an issue. I've used mine in 30 degree temperatures, and it's fine there; I don't know how well it would cope at 40+, though.
I concur. I have enjoyed my Cybook by the pool on holiday in Mexico, Honduras and Thailand (during the hot season) and never even noticed any screen issues.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Reave
Reave is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Thanks for the answers! I'm going to look into the iRex DR1000S. That said, I wonder if I might be better waiting a year or two before diving into the ereader world.
Reave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If your in no big hurry I'd wait and see what Plastic Logic Delivers. If you want to dive in right now consider one of the new 5 inch models that are coming out. Sure it probably won't be great for reading technical PDF's by the pool. But your on holiday, relax with a good novel.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
at 30 degrees, eink displays slow right down. They still work, but they get really slow. 32 degrees is freezing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I live in Southern California and read my Kindle in direct sunlight often with no washout. There have been some defective e-ink devices which have had an issue with sunlight but the number is small.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There have been some defective e-ink devices which have had an issue with sunlight but the number is small.
I hope the number is small, but in fact, there is no statics available. We don't know how many people does read in the sun. One-time experience does not mean that the device is free from the problem. The problem seems gradually come out, not always the first time when people read in the sun. Although not many people have the problem, but the problem may come out as exposure to the sun increasing. That's what I believe.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-01-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
at 30 degrees, eink displays slow right down. They still work, but they get really slow. 32 degrees is freezing.
I'm pretty sure they mean 30C which would be 86F.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I hope the number is small, but in fact, there is no statics available. We don't know how many people does read in the sun. One-time experience does not mean that the device is free from the problem. The problem seems gradually come out, not always the first time when people read in the sun. Although not many people have the problem, but the problem may come out as exposure to the sun increasing. That's what I believe.
Based on the number of complaints I've read about this problem, the number is small. My personal experience is not one time since I live in a very sunny part of the country and it includes both my Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 (bought my K1 in April 2008).

You stated that eink screen *will* get a blur as though it were a fact not a belief.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Based on the number of complaints I've read about this problem, the number is small. My personal experience is not one time since I live in a very sunny part of the country and it includes both my Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 (bought my K1 in April 2008).

You stated that eink screen *will* get a blur as though it were a fact not a belief.
And I can tell you I have encountered the problem several times and I have seen several people complained about the problem. Even though, I will not say whether the number is large or small because there is no base of number. I just want to warn people the problem does exists. Besides, if the term "will" is too strong for you, you must have seen what I have said in the later post, why do you stick to the word?
I said "I believe" because that's what I have experienced, not from people's experience. My belief is based on what I have epxerienced.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-01-2009 at 09:38 PM.