Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
ertpresso
ertpresso began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Linux Mint, iPhone 4 and Calibre

Hello,

First of all thank you to the writer of this amazing software "Calibre" and to the keepers and members of its community forum.

I use iPhone 4, Linux Mint 12 LXDE and I want to organize my ebook library between my computer and my phone using Calbre. I've installed Calibre by using Synaptic package manager and during installation I enabled server option. Now when I run Calibre I turn the server on, all lights on its icon become green, however Stanza on my phone can not find it, it keeps looking for forever. Phone is connected by usb cable and it is recognized by Linux file manager without any problem.

I have checked the sticky thread in this forum and read that there will be no Linux driver. I doubt if I understand this correctly because I read here and there that people using Linux are using Calibre with their iOS devices.

Could you please clarify this?
ertpresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Start browser on your PC and try to connect to
http://127.0.0.1:8080/
or whatever port you have configured to use.

Perhaps you have firewall configured to stop all outgoing traffic.
There is graphical configuration tool for firewall in Mint Linux, in Control panel. The firewall is switched on by default.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You also might want to install a current version of Calibre; normally the versions availablke from a distribution "lag" behind the current one.

Current is 0.8.44 and can be found here --> http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot connect iOS devices to the main Calibre on Linux via USB as that requires iTunes to be present and there is no Linux version of iTunes.

For iOS devices you therefore have to connect over the network to the Calibre Content server (not the main Calibre program). This allows the library to be accessed either as HTML pages via a browser (e.g. Safari), or as an OPDS catalog if you have suitable OPDS compatible apps such as MegaReader/QuickReader, Stanza or eBook Search.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
ertpresso
ertpresso began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
As kacir suggested, I have tried to check http://127.0.0.1:8080/ and seen Calibre management page.

itimpi:
Calibre main program has an icon on top right corner named "Connect/Share". Clicking upon it shows the option to "Start content server". Is that not the "content server" you have mentioned?

If using USB is not possible, could you please explain how I connect my iPhone to Calibre running on my linux computer "over the network" in order to synchronize my e-book library?

I have managed to send e-books to iPhone using e-mail as a temporary solution. However my purpose is sharing my Calibre library instead of sending books to iPhone individually.

Last edited by ertpresso; 03-30-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: explained my question
ertpresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
yes that option starts the Calibre Content Server. I made the point that it is a separate program as it can be started even if Calibre itself is not running.

If you can do the test of connecting to http://127.0.0.1:8080 via a browser running locally on your PC then that proves that the Content Server is running. Have you tried accessing it via Safari from your iPhone? Note that in this case you will need to use the IP address of the PC on your LAN instead of 127.0.0.1. If that is not working then your firewall is probably blocking access and you will have to work out how to configure your firewall to allow access from outside your PC to port 8080.

If you want to also be able to access your Calibre library when not connected to your home network (i.e. from the public internet) then you need to know how to find out your external IP address and set up port forwarding on your router. The details of this are hardware specific so detailed instructions cannot be given without knowing more about your hardware setup.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The http://127.0.0.1:8080 is only for use on the SAME (including virtual?) machine.

For your LAN the IP must be that of the machine (or the assigned listening LAN port) eg. http://192.168.0.7:8080
This is also the port the gets the outside (WAN) port forwarded to.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, mint, problem, server, stanza