Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #316
fireboy92k
fireboy92k began at the beginning.

Device: none
So here's the million dollar question for me...

Does the new firmware tip the pros towards the Sony vis-a-vis the Kindle?

I don't really want a Kindle (I hate the idea of being locked into something that isn't as flexible as the Sony), but at the same time content is king. I have some personal PDF's and other stuff, but also want to be able to buy titles to read...

What do you guys think?
fireboy92k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #317
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
PDF reflow might be out of reach for the 500, but I bet epub isn't.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #318
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

The 128MB requirement is how much DE needs to run on a
PC.

The 505 isn't running DE. And anyway, someone (igorsk) has already taken apart the firmware and told us that the various parts are only slightly larger than before.
Agreed, no one with actual hardware knowledge has indicated anything technically detailed enough to backup if these new features [epub or pdf-reflow] can definitely NOT be run on the 500.

I have sent an email to the Sony reader team PM about this; this guy responds to me from time to time, cross your fingers.

I mainly just wanted better PDF support. PDF-reflow seemed to be that answer.

It would be helpful to have someone like Igorski do some hard testing to see what can or cannot be accomplished on the 500; in terms of getting these features added, through a hack even.

About firmware updates:

For anyone claiming that Sony does not normally do many free firmware releases for it's products, I can count over 20 firmware updates for the PSP, over 10 for the PS3, multiple updates for DVD and BluRay players, front movie projectors, TVs, minidisc players; should I go on..? My PSP is almost 4 years old ppl!

My take on the 500 support from Sony:

I think the 500 has simply been put out to pasture, and this sucks because I actually only got mine around November 2007, not even a year ago. Granted, I am happy with my unit overall, but I would have liked to see decent PDF support, which was stated clearly on the box BTW.

The PDF support you get out-of-the-box is a joke so don't even bother defending it. I thank these forums for showing me about Rasterfarian, because that is the only way I can stand reading PDFs on my reader today.

About dumping my 500 on Ebay:

I actually like the hardware design of my 500 more than the 505; you can search for my detailed post on these forums.

I tried using the 505, and the front page turn and round directional buttons just not for me. So, I can't just dump my 500 on ebay and get the 505 and be happy. I guess I like my page-turn-joystick too much so i'll stick with my 500.

2 cents,
F.

Last edited by flamaest; 07-27-2008 at 08:50 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboy92k View Post

I don't really want a Kindle (I hate the idea of being locked into something that isn't as flexible as the Sony), but at the same time content is king. I have some personal PDF's and other stuff, but also want to be able to buy titles to read...

What do you guys think?
I would think yes it does tip the scales in favor of the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #320
pjfan281
pjfan281 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

What do you guys think?
'sony' and 'flexible' i nthe same sentence? this must be a typo =) i looked into the kindle for about 5 minutes. in 5 minutes i saw with me eyes what almost every user on amazon complained about...the page turns buttons are poorly placed and very easy to push accidentally. that and a few other things steered me toward the Sony, and I never look back
pjfan281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #321
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Does the new firmware tip the pros towards the Sony vis-a-vis the Kindle? .... (I hate the idea of being locked into something that isn't as flexible as the Sony), but at the same time content is king. ...
I think you answered yourself.

If Amazon opened their Kindle book store to anybody THEN I would think the SONY Reader to have the upper hand. But content and convenience is king and amazon has the corner on both of them.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #322
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
PDF reflow might be out of reach for the 500, but I bet epub isn't.
It's rather the other way around. Parsing the whole XML flow to create the DOM tree, using the CSS, proper pagination etc... These operations are much more difficult to perform than a simple PDF to txt conversion.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #323
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
The new firmware (as of 7/27/2008) that updated my original PRS-505 (bought within 2 weeks of it's release) did greatly increase the ability to enlarge PDFs.

Andy

Last edited by recycledelectron; 07-28-2008 at 12:54 PM.
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #324
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The photo feature was removed in the new 505 firmware? uhh, what else was "secretly" removed?

I remember when ReplyTV removed the commercial-skip feature with a new firmware and that is some bad news folks.

F.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #325
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I have sent an email to the Sony reader team PM about this; this guy responds to me from time to time.
If you really can talk to God (or at least some head angels) - can you ask a burning question for me? Why can't we get a FW update to have the Author list properly sorted? It would be very easy. I envision a selection on the settings page for choosing the Author or Author "reading" method. Then everybody could get what they need.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #326
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
The photo feature was removed in the new 505 firmware?
Unnnhh? What does that mean exactly?
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #327
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
A couple people in a different thread are reporting that they see "less contrast" .. blacks are not as black and whites are not as white as before. Hopefully this is just paranoia (it's happened to me before!) but I would love to hear some input from others. And no, I don't think they were joking.

I would also really like to hear about any noticeable effects on battery life. I think the new firmware is supposed to have some effect on battery as the battery life is now supposed to be 6700 pages instead of 7500..?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #328
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hadrien
You mentioned ePub can handle some real complicated layouts.

Is there a sample ePub out there that has these complicated layouts. I'd be intersted in seeing how the SONY 505 handles them.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #329
flamaest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPark View Post
If you really can talk to God (or at least some head angels) - can you ask a burning question for me? Why can't we get a FW update to have the Author list properly sorted? It would be very easy. I envision a selection on the settings page for choosing the Author or Author "reading" method. Then everybody could get what they need.
I asked God about the 505 FW.. God said he cannot comment to me about this. I guess we are on our own till I get another Sony rep to give out his email address at a confernce. I will keep trying.

F.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #330
flamaest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPark View Post
Unnnhh? What does that mean exactly?
User "recycledelectron" removed his comment about this missing photo feature.

F.

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update