Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still have a PRS-500?
Yes, and it's still my main e-reader 98 38.58%
Yes, and I also have another newer e-reader 53 20.87%
No, I use a newer Sony model 93 36.61%
No, I read in other ways now 10 3.94%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How many MobileReaders have a PRS-500?

The original PRS-500 came onto the scene with a splash here at MobileRead. But there are so many options, and many of the original PRS-500 owners have probably moved on and upgraded. Maybe even with the Sony 505 upgrade deal.

Now, with the conversion of the Sony e-book store to ePub, I'm wondering how many people with PRS-500 are affected. This poll will only pick up a few of us, but might be interesting nonetheless.

So if you still have a PRS-500, put in your vote and make yourself known!

Last edited by Bob Russell; 08-14-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Clarification of the "conversion" to ePub.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I had one but traded it up for a 505 a year ago.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Had one but sold it after Sony quit supporting it. Now I have a good reader with good supporting firmware.

Last edited by slayda; 08-14-2009 at 11:29 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I was given the 505 as a gift. I didn't even know there was a 500 until after I joined MR.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Seph817
Seph817 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Hi, I'm Joe. This is my first post after years lurking. I still have the 500 and it's still awesome. I do, however, want to get a 300. I've wanted a smaller Reader since before the 505 came out.
Seph817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Joe! Isn't it good to be "converted"!

The reader devices get better and better, but I am still somewhat attached to my good 'ole 500!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had a 500. But when the 505 came out, I had to have it due to the Vizplex screen. I sold it to someone on MR and never looked back. My 505 is doing quite well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I never had a 500.
I got my first reader in February - a red Sony 505 - and I love it!!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
big_stan
big_stan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Yep

I still use mine everyday, and just love it. I bought mine the day Sony first made it available online. I never felt that upgrading to the 505 was really worth it since it wasn't really that much better then what I already had (which originally amounted to just a slightly better screen and more memory). Obviously the epub thing is a big deal, and will essentially force me to make a change (unless they offer a firmware update) since I get most of my content from the Sony store.

If they release a firmware upgrade I'll obviously use that, or if they give us a steep discount on one of the new models I would certainly consider it. The only other option I would consider would be the Kindle, but I'm not a big fan of being locked into yet another proprietary format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Hi Joe! Isn't it good to be "converted"!

The reader devices get better and better, but I am still somewhat attached to my good 'ole 500!
big_stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm still very happy with my 500 that I use almost every day. It still works like the day I bought it (the day it came out) and until this whole fiasco with Sony dropping their BBeB I had no reason to upgrade.

If it turns out though that they won't release a firmware upgrade for epub then I will be upgrading to another company. I won't stay with Sony if they cut me off from their store.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
I'm still very happy with my 500 that I use almost every day. It still works like the day I bought it (the day it came out) and until this whole fiasco with Sony dropping their BBeB I had no reason to upgrade.

If it turns out though that they won't release a firmware upgrade for epub then I will be upgrading to another company. I won't stay with Sony if they cut me off from their store.
If Sony does not do an ePub firmware for the 500, they will then be doing a trade-in. What other company would be doing even that much for you?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a 505.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I still have, and use, the Sony 500 as my main reader. With Calibre around, the current movement to epub creates no particular concern for me ... my backlog of LRFs is sufficient to hold me for some time. I do want a reader with a brighter screen, so am considering either the Sony 300 or the Astak PocketPro. Right now, the Astak is ahead because of the number of formats it will handle.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I bought the 500 a few months before the 505 came out, and then bought the 505 also.

I still have the 500, and even have a brand new cover for it (purchased from Sony) that's never been used, but I use the 505 exclusively. Love them both.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
The PRS-500 was my first dedicated reader (after years of using PDAs and then phones), but I did the trade-up to a 505 earlier this year and have been very happy!
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote