Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Authonomy - a new site by Harper Collins

For all those on the same path as me toward (eventual) publication, the book editors at Harper Collins recently went live with a new site called Authonomy. It' a mixture of social-networking and user voting on new and unpublished works to bring them to the attention of Harper Collins.

It's free to signup and looks very interesting for all us 'unpubs'. I've read over the licensing agreement and it looks like you retain all copyright to your work, so it's more than likely safe to publish, submit and upload your work to other sources.

Here's my blog post about it:http://typewriterhead.blogspot.com/2...direction.html

Direct link to the site:http://www.authonomy.com/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Well I've just been on the site and reading some of the comments in the forums and it seems it's actually been running for a good couple of months (as ever I' m late to the party). Reading the forum posts it also seems that the likelihood of getting 'spotted' on there is about the same as if you submitted your book by a traditional method.

So basically it's all smoke and mirrors for now, and to think I'd actually believed the mainstream publishing industry were taking a step closer to the digital world. What begins as excitement, soon turns to disillusionment.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Online Writing Workshop

In addition to this, a few former editors from Del Ray books created Online Wrtiting Workshop several years ago.

It's a website writing community as well, almost like a creative writing workshop class all done online. There's slim to no chance of getting noticed on there as well. I think the highlight is once a month or so, the pro editors there select a work and give you a pretty good rundown/review.

Several alumn have gone on to publish there. I think the most known of all of them was Elizabeth Bear

onlinewritingworkshop dot com.

It costs money though...around 50 USd/yr. The highlight is most of the people in the community give pretty good crits/line nits/suggestions for improvement.

FWIW, I think the closest thing to going "mainstream" on teh interwebs right now is LuLu or BookSurge BS that Amazon owns for self publishing
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Very cool thanks for the post
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Cool site.
I quickly found a book I want to read.
There IS a catch, however.
Several of them.

catch 1.
Quite a few books are incomplete.
To find a complete book use search textbox on the main page. Type something, anything and it will take you to the search screen. There you you click checkbox "Show only complete books" and search again.

catch 2.
Much more serious one.
You are ONLY alowed to read a book in your browser.
I haven't found way yet to load the book into my Sony Reader yet.
The book is displayed by chapters. Copy - Paste does not work. View Page Source shows just some Java script wizardry. Even Kleptomania - a piece of software designed to grab text from "un-compliant" windows - fails. Sigh...
I do not want to spread the "format shifted" book, I do not want to steal it, I want just to read it on an e-ink screen in my bed and not on a bright LCD screen sitting at my work table in living room.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert