Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Polythestic Swearing

So, in a monotheistic culture we may say "for god's sake don't touch that!" but that assumes a single god. If we were in a polytheistic society, what would the equivalent expression be?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
By Zeus, Don't touch that!
By all the gods, get away from there!
stuff like that.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
By Zeus, Don't touch that!
By all the gods, get away from there!
stuff like that.
Zeus/name will not work... I do not think at least... that would imply the speaker has a specific god in mind. Most of the time expressions like "omg" and the like do not really have a specific being in mind. They are just expressions.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
In the Chalion books by Lois McMaster Bujold, there are 5 gods, and one curse is Bastard's Hell (the Bastard is one of the gods).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Zounds! I've heard of that one being used before.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard

I guess I should give more detail...

In this case, the speaker is warning someone about being attacked by a bad thing. So the conversation is something like (I am still crafting it, so this is really rough)

"Remember they're weakest against fire, and <for god's sake> don't let them touch you!"

It's that phrase I am trying to fit with a character whose background is a world with many active gods.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I hear a many Thai folks who spend a lot of time with us foreigners use the expression, "Oh, my Buddha!" in English. But it is NOT used in Passa Thai (the Thai language.) I hear the young folks in many Asian countries where Buddhism is most prevalent, but with large Hindi and Moslem believers, use "Oh my God!" spoken in English as an interjection even when speaking their own languages, regardless of their own religions.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"for your gods' sake..."
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
In "Battlestar Galactica" the humans said "godsda--" and "gods da--it."

I have heard friends reference "the deities" and I have referred to "the deity of your choice," but not necessarily when cursing.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I guess I should give more detail...

In this case, the speaker is warning someone about being attacked by a bad thing. So the conversation is something like (I am still crafting it, so this is really rough)

"Remember they're weakest against fire, and <for god's sake> don't let them touch you!"

It's that phrase I am trying to fit with a character whose background is a world with many active gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
<snip>
By all the gods <snip>
I second Becca's "By all the gods". I have read this in quite a few books and it was used with the word "by" and not the word "for".
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm too lazy to check right now, but it seems to me that there is a lot of swearing on the gods in the Game of Thrones books. "By the seven!" maybe? Although I think sometimes they choose one of the seven to represent.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I second Becca's "By all the gods". I have read this in quite a few books and it was used with the word "by" and not the word "for".
I wonder why "by" versus "for" ?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I just dipped into Storm of Swords. They would say things like, "The Others take him!" or "What in seven hells is he doing?"
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Melpomene
Nameless Being

Of the polytheists I know in real life (they do exist outside of fiction), phrases such as "by the gods" and "what in the name of [other afterlife that isn't hell]?", "Oh gods!", and instead of the "Jesus Christ!" cuss, phrases particular to their culture such as "Odin's beard!" or "Poseidon's rage!" are used.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Of the polytheists I know in real life (they do exist outside of fiction), phrases such as "by the gods" and "what in the name of [other afterlife that isn't hell]?", "Oh gods!", and instead of the "Jesus Christ!" cuss, phrases particular to their culture such as "Odin's beard!" or "Poseidon's rage!" are used.
By Jove! is another one. It refers to Jupiter or Zeus as the Greeks knew him.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote