Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Nook Newbie
Nook Newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Want to load up Nook for wife before giving as a gift

I'm a n00b. I admit it.

My wife is getting a Nook as a gift in a few weeks. I have it in front of me now, so I have time to customize it. I want to put some things on it so she can start reading immediately. But I don't want to mess it up so she can't use her B&N account with it.

I'd like to put on it:
1. some public domain books
2. some library books that I believe our branch offers
3. a purchased book (I know one's she's been anxious to read)

Again, the primary restriction is that I don't want to do something that can't be undone, like linking the Nook to my B&N account instead of hers. Maybe this means I can't do #3 above. Does it affect #2?

Feel free to direct me to FAQs for my specific items above. I won't be insulted.
Nook Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, nook newbie.

We have the best formatted public domain books available, here.

You can click on my link below to find them.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Welcome!

As for your idea.

1) Go with the mobileread books here
2) Library books have a limited time you can read them so that might not work
3) If it were me, I'd rather register my own Nook & buy my own books. But if you know her password & you both use the same credit or debit card, it should work.

If I'm not correct I know I will be corrected.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I suggest you doing 1 and 2.

You can use the cord that came with the nook to move any public domain books onto the Nook (they will move to the "My Documents" section). I have to agree with the not using the library option though. The books might expire before she opens the gift, and I know some people have to get a handle on using the library lending function anyway.

As to getting her books or stuff she can start reading day of: get a gift gard. All she will have to do is put the card on her B&N account when she registers the Nook and she can start getting books immediately. Pick it out on the site, purchase and download. It takes ~10 seconds to download a purchased book, so she'll be reading in no time.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
A gift card is a great idea. If you really want to buy her some books and load them one, you can still do that. I have bought Nooks for two of my friends and I put bought books and free books on both of theirs. One of my friends didn't have a B&N account so I made one for her. I used my credit card and address and gave her the info to change it after she had it. With my other friend I basically opened a new account and did the same thing, I gave her the password after and she unregistered it and re-registered it with her existing account.

Good luck!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Feedbooks.com also has a nice selection of free books available.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook Newbie View Post
I'd like to put on it:
1. some public domain books
2. some library books that I believe our branch offers
3. a purchased book (I know one's she's been anxious to read)
1- great idea.

2- also great; but since library books generally expire in 21 days (YMMV), I'd load those the day before you give her the Nook as a gift.

3- another great idea; only, why don't you two share the same account? Sharing the same account means books only need to be purchased once and they're available on both Nooks. If you want separate accounts, you'll need access to her account in order to register her Nook and to put B&N ebooks on it.

No matter what you decide on #3, it won't affect #2 at all. You can check out library books on her account and she can check them out on your account; and you can put them on each other's ereaders.

Good luck. The Nook is very versatile with extensive access options.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
another great idea is to load a picture of you two or a child if you have one it as well to bre used as a screensaver.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I am a fan of Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) for public domain books so I'd say check that out too. It tends to have books in multiple formats including ePub which you require for the Nook.
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gift, library, newbie, nook