Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Kindle DXG power adapter and case question

Hi,
I am planning to order a Kindle DXG(US plug/adapter). It will be hand-carried to the UK (UK plug) and then to Greece (EU plug).

I'd like to charge it and test it while I am in the UK. I also need a sturdy cover to transport it with. I am thinking of ordering the official Kindle cover (expensive though) + the clip thingy for protection. Are there any other options for the new DXG size Kindle?

For plug adapter and charging - I have a Linux netbook. I cannot run the Kindle app, but can I charge the device from the netbook USB?

Also, can I just buy a Universal Plug adapter (with surge protector - for about $5) or should I buy the official Amazon Kindle DX plug ($20) for the EU?
Has anyone just used a non-Amazon plug adapter to convert US to EU plug?

Thanks for any assistance!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #2
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
For plug adapter and charging - I have a Linux netbook. I cannot run the Kindle app, but can I charge the device from the netbook USB?

Also, can I just buy a Universal Plug adapter (with surge protector - for about $5) or should I buy the official Amazon Kindle DX plug ($20) for the EU?
Has anyone just used a non-Amazon plug adapter to convert US to EU plug?

Thanks for any assistance!
You can charge the Kindle from your netbook.

In fact, any USB charger will work.
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you might try the Oberon covers. yes, a bit pricey, but sturdy, and quite worth it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice on chargers. I looked at the Oberon covers, they are atractive but do not specify DXG (ony DX) and I do not think the models are identical?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX and DXG are the same size. I have an Oberon cover for my DXG. It is sturdy and gorgeous.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Kindle app for your computer is to actually read Kindle books. It doesn't talk to a real Kindle at all and actually appears as a whole extra device in your Kindle management page. You don't need it.

All the USB port is used for is to transfer files as it appears a standard USB mass storage device and to charge it. You can charge it from any decent USB charger or from a computer. You don't specifically need the Amazon charger but if you do want to use it then you can use it anywhere in the world with a plug adapter as it is capable of working from 110V or 220V.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks - the info/advice helps alot!