Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yeah. I think I can nerf that no problem with a bit of wangling.

okay Ill have a code dive RSN then
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Thinking about the best approach TBH.

"Yes" is my first instinct but it has to be done carefully not to utterly defeat the point of low power mode.

Believe me I am thinking on it.
I was also pondering on this problem a while ago. Here is what I came up with:

Searching the internet I found in a Kindle Touch test, that fully charged the Kindle holds for about 45.000 page turns, which would be equal to 45.000 / ( 60 * 24 ) = 31,25 days. Of course, seconds is an absolute no-no! OK, let’s assume a full page refresh happens/happened only every 6 pages, but that still would leave us with 31,25 / 6 = 5,2 days, which is still pretty good considering it would display something new every single minute.

And of course there are various ways of improving things:
Assuming that a partial page refresh only takes up the equivalent fraction of the energy for a whole page refresh, you could refresh the four single digits only when they really have to be changed.
The very first digit (upper hour digit) only changes trice a day, the second one 24 times. The upper minute digit changes 6*24 = 144 times a day, and the last digit of course 60*24 = 1440 times. In sum this leaves us with 1611 “quarter” page refreshes a day, which with the number from the test and a full page refresh only every 6 pages results in (45.000 / 6) / (1611 / 4) = 18,6 days.
Also, you could implement various “low power” modes. The first one that comes to my mind would be a night mode, where the time would only get updated every 5 or 10 minutes, resulting in even less page refreshes.

I hope I could explain my thoughts in an understandable way and maybe they give you some nice ideas of how to implement this digital (!, pretty please!) wallpaper clock.
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so ... in précis..

implement partial page updates.
(not sure this takes less power but happy to receive wisdom on that)

Make it digital? - I actually have built a digital clock somewhere already - not sure I ever posted it. here's thoughts on that and some more

implement less updates at night.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks.

Last edited by twobob; 03-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
twobob

I was hoping to maybe manage some wakeup wangle via the rtc.

maybe one day when my knowledge is big enough
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Quote:
I was hoping to maybe manage some wakeup wangle via the rtc.

maybe one day when my knowledge is big enough
... eh, what? So you mean you can't put the Kindle to sleep and have it wake up every minute or so?
Well, anyways, I was dying to ask if you could manage to come up with anything clock-like?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
twobob

I have been digging in the guts to try to get a solution that wakes up from being in actual stand-by.

Also got a tiny digital one.

Have been working on FB today to get my head around something that has been bugging me for ages..

Hopefully at some point soon. So much to do. So little help.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
jakobim
Enthusiast

Quote:
So much to do. So little help.
You wouldn't believe how much I want to help you. But right now, I have exams, and … I don’t think I have to continue. The quote above couldn’t express any better how I’m also feeling right know…
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
twobob

meh its cool.

Dont sweat it man.

Good luck.

I get around to most things eventually.

The real bugbear for me atm is actually getting a terminal to run on the k3 so I can do the work I promised a bazzilion years ago on kindle-explorer. Hey ho.

I know how you feel : )
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
how long does the kindle run from fully charged if you don't put it in standby and update the clock every second?
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
twobob

Well. I don't have a paperwhite so can't give you any metrics. sorry.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ro View Post
how long does the kindle run from fully charged if you don't put it in standby and update the clock every second?
Try it on your paperwhite, post your findings here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Has anyone made a giant digital clock display application plug-in for the Kindle Touch?
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #28
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
http://www.thisismyrobot.com/2012/11...dashboard.html
has a pretty good idea for that, assuming you have wifi access?

Good luck! Share if you find or make one better!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Also found this one..

>>>>> http://www.shatteredhaven.com/2012/1...r-display.html

Has anyone made updates to this to show a LARGE Date/Time on this display; along with a summary weather info……. ?? That would be killer!
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
Also found this one..

>>>>> http://www.shatteredhaven.com/2012/1...r-display.html

Has anyone made updates to this to show a LARGE Date/Time on this display; along with a summary weather info……. ?? That would be killer!
That template is an SVG file with 'placeholders' -

Just draw whatever SVG file you want, with 'placeholders' for whatever dynamic information needed.

That article reads like a good starting point to install and modify for your requirements.

Ask for help when you get stuck at any point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons