Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There is a difference (at least to my mind) between reading a book because it is on the NY Times or any other list and reading a book that ends up on the list. I read a whole lot of fairly mainstream fiction so reading a "bestseller" surely happens.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #32
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I'm strange about it, when looking at a new author I look to see how many books they have written. If its over 20 or so I wont read them, if I see they have only written 5 or 6 books I think they must of put a lot of time in them and they are really good!

Like I said not very logical
Quality goes over quantity, I know.

I tend to read bestselling books, but some authors seems to mass produce them. James Patterson writes several at the same moment, if not, I can hardly explain how he manages to write 5 or more a year. Haven't read any of them though

Reading Stieg Larsson right now, at last
I'm still reading both the german as well as the english translation, they're quite different in fact....
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #33
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Best seller lists are irrelevant to me and so is the NYT. Even if they try, best sellers lists say nothing to me. So, a foo-foo book club picked the book. Big deal. So, Oprah Winfry mentioned the book. Big deal. So, the publishers paid the stores to promote the book. Big deal.

If actual readers recommend the book I care. If I've read other books by the author and liked them, I care, but they've bit me a few times. I even sometimes pay attention to positive comments from other authors.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #34
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
So, a foo-foo book club picked the book.
I'm confused . At least I think such a list should reflect what people are reading (buying) and not what a few elitarians thinks we should read... IMHO if lots of people read the same book, it's a recommendation of some sort...

Is the NYT Bestseller list not based on actual sales?

Though I can see a point if Oprah or the like are promoting crap, and everyone runs to the store buying it, causing crappy books to appear on bestseller lists... Like I said, a recommendation of some kind, not the most convincing one

Last edited by bear4hunter; 04-27-2011 at 12:03 PM.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm old but do you remember The Book of the Month Club. They sold books. If they picked a book and promoted it, thousands of copies zipped out--sold--and the book rose.

A lot of strange things effect the sales of books. So, even is a "best-seller" list were scrupulously honest, and I don't believe they are, it would not influence me at all. For me, it would make even less sense to read a book because it's on a best seller list than because one of the NYT critics praised a book.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #36
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I read almost exclusively science fiction and fantasy and few of these make the best sellers list. I never look at any best sellers lists for recommendations, mine come from friends, picking a book up from the library and forums like this.
This is me, too.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't even look at a best seller list, NY or anywhere. I tend to read by author. If I happen to like something I buy that authors other books and sometimes I follow links that say if you like so and so you may also like X. This is easier because I tend to read fiction fantasy and romance. I have tons of ebooks that are in series.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #38
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've been known to read a book that has ended up on the list...If I think to look what is on the list. My criteria for buying a book is not what is a best seller, but what interests me. Often the books that interest me don't make it to that list.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #39
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
I don't bother with looking at the best seller list. Some of the authors I read end up there and I wonder why, their books definitely aren't the best written books.
Not bad, but not great.

Since I am hungry (lunch time) I'll use food as a comparrison, salad, steak and baked potato are the classics, pizza would be the from well known and good authors, D. Koontz type, have some substance, but not "great" books. Then the hot fudge sundie, the romance, mainly paranormal.

I see on the covers remark, so and so has been the on the NYT best seller list, and I wonder how in the world these authors ended up on the lists. Some put out five and six books a year, there is no way they can put out a really decent book. Okay, but not decent, just fun book to read. Some do write only one or two books a year and their books are good fiction.
So, I want excellent, satisfying I read classics, I want really good, decent, fairly well-written I read Koontz, Nice, good I read N. Singh, L. Adrian's series, I want just something to satisfy my "sweet-tooth" I will read Leigh, Sands or other.

So, NYT best list, nay, I don't bother with it, I go with what my taste buds are craving.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #40
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I've never even glanced at one but I'd venture to guess that it's full of Oprah picks and Donald Trump books... not interested.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #41
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I didn't vote in the original poll because I have no idea whether or not the books I read are or have been on any bestseller lists. I don't check -- I'm working through a backlog of a couple of favorite authors (from the years between cancelling my book club membership and aquiring an ebook reader), some PD classics, and freebie Kindle books -- and expect that it will be a long time before I need to look to popular lists to get ideas for new books to try.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I do not actively avoid NY Times Bestsellers, I just don't pay attention to lists. Its nothing more than that.

I find my reads by word of mouth, Amazon's free offers, and this site. I am a member at GoodReads, but right now I use it more for tracking my own reads than for finding new ones.
This is precisely the way I go about finding new books as well. My sentiments exactly.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #43
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I usually go with what interests me, seeing a bestseller list doesn't really draw me in ...
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #44
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I'm like the others, in that I don't pay any attention to lists.

Unless I know the list maker likes the same things I do, why do I care what other people are reading? I'm busy making my own lists of what I like and what I want to read next.

And since books are usually bought before they're read, a huge run on any book just means someone has some high expectations that's it's going to be good. Doesn't mean that it will turn out to be any good. So I don't see it as measuring much of anything except maybe salesmanship on the book seller's part.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #45
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
I've read the kinds of books that appear on those lists as a teen. Those genres no longer interest me (with the exception of Stephen King, who is apparently a genre by himself ).
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote