Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #166
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
EHy bookwormers fans of front Lit trends,

What if Sony is launching a T3 thicker because..it is time to see the book as real..with colors? What if they understood that the only way to tackle Jeff Bezos is giving Android with a not reflexive low consumption screen as I am stating since three years?
I sincerely hope not because that's not what I want, particularly with the price premium that will come with it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #167
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I wouldn't want that either and I do not think it will sell. The time for having premium prices is going away. That ship has sailed. The one entity that hopes Sony stays stubborn and does not release a front-lit reader is Kobo. They would sell a lot more readers if they do that. As it is now, a lot of Sony customers have already bought a Kobo or are seriously considering it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #168
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I wouldn't want that either and I do not think it will sell..
I don't want a color eInk machine either. Far from it. I don't think they could ever get it to be anything but a set of washed out colors.

I also don't think there are enough people who would buy it to make it work. Most people would just go to a tablet if they really had something they wanted to read in color. I think they'd just be disappointed in any color eInk that they could actually produce.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #169
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have nothing against color , even washed out color, if the basic black and white reading stays as good or is improved. Whether I would use it or pay extra for it is a different matter.

The thought of reading a mystery or a fantasy book in different coloured texts and backgrounds makes me cringe in horror. I am firmly fixated on black and white (or as close to black and white as possible, although I am sure many would find multiple colors on a page of printed text just darling.

It would be very nice for the comic book readers and for children's illustrated stories, but both seem okay reading on tablets these days.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #170
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I wouldn't want that either and I do not think it will sell. The time for having premium prices is going away. That ship has sailed. The one entity that hopes Sony stays stubborn and does not release a front-lit reader is Kobo. They would sell a lot more readers if they do that. As it is now, a lot of Sony customers have already bought a Kobo or are seriously considering it.
If Sony doesn't bring in at least frontlighting, the natural upgrade for non-rooted T1s and older will be Kobo. For the rooted ones, the next Nook.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #171
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't need colored e-ink, and I want the kidlets in my family to learn to read from books not tablets. I want them to be able to appreciate a paper book's variety and feel before they switch to the digital version.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #172
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Why the hell is it thicker? Is it definitely thicker? They're careful to display its size via measures. Are they emphasizing the increased thickness?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #173
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
I think not only this IS THE ONLY WAY to go, but also they will do it asap because if they copy frontlit they won t go anywhere and won t attract people except few niches because of the quality of the dictionaryies kindle people do not have ( but they have more book so really few would buy a front lit outdated,namely the fans in this forum that want to be loyal)
not wait for another natural terrible disaster
They (Kindle) do NOT have more books.
Amazon released the kindle.app for androids. You install it on your T2 and can buy and read Kindle books.
So with T2 you have all Kindle books + all epubs from everywhere else.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #174
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The thought of reading a mystery or a fantasy book in different coloured texts and backgrounds makes me cringe in horror. I am firmly fixated on black and white (or as close to black and white as possible, although I am sure many would find multiple colors on a page of printed text just darling.

It would be very nice for the comic book readers and for children's illustrated stories, but both seem okay reading on tablets these days.

Helen
Dear bookwormers,

I would state 1 point about color..

comics, android apps, google images, maps, chess, background and most important reading on the paper effect with...different highlights to differentiate the highlights...a super cool feature. that makes the ereaders still more like the paper.
It is sure that people in the world struggle to read sunlight on normal tablets.
People that use readers, won't be really disappointed to have an all in one device according to me... or at least a kind of iphone/galaxy + 5-6 inches reader/tablet for documents, internet. etc. Life is color, if they charge 100 eu more is not a tragedy from my view considering that ALL the alternatives are backlighted and destroy the eyes. And think also that a lot of human beings like me, when are on the go, if they have to see different videos.... on their android, iphone, tablet, they think a lot about that if they do not have a plug for the awful battery consumption
WHAT THERE IS IN THE MARKET FOR THIS "NICHE" HUGE AS A CONTINENT?

nothing

I am not speaking about eink color, but the last generation that is really nice and well defined as you know Sony is studying since at least 1 year and half, that allows high definition images and nice video

Last edited by trocchietto; 07-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #175
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
They (Kindle) do NOT have more books.
Amazon released the kindle.app for androids. You install it on your T2 and can buy and read Kindle books.
So with T2 you have all Kindle books + all epubs from everywhere else.
apologize on that mate
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #176
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I am not speaking about eink color, but the last generation that is really nice and well defined as you know Sony is studying since at least 1 year and half, that allow high definition images and nice video
If you're not talking about color e-ink then what *are* you talking about? Mirasol?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #177
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Either way, if the T3 is the same way that the T2 was pretty much identical to the T1, it will be the last reader Sony makes. I can't see them doing two non upgrades in a row like that.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #178
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
If you're not talking about color e-ink then what *are* you talking about? Mirasol?
Not at all,special cool LCD

http://youtu.be/mdXu9jmTI2A

This company as far I read is Sony( or joint venture etc)

THE POINT IS FY 13 is the year

Next year you will have iPad with super retina definitions
,Hydrogen battery light ..google glasses

Or now or never
Hope it is clear

Last edited by trocchietto; 07-12-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #179
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Not at all,special cool LCD

http://youtu.be/mdXu9jmTI2A

This company as far I read is Sony( or joint venture etc)

THE POINT IS FY 13 is the year

Next year you will have iPad with super retina definitions
,Hydrogen battery light ..google glasses

Or now or never
Hope it is clear
I've seen the video before, and it still doesn't move me to want one. When they block the light, it just looks dark, not 'paper like'. And there's no demonstration of fonts. Are they clear and crisp, or do they look weedy or look like they 'bleed' out?

For use in sunlight, or if the battery life is hugely improved, I see this as a tablet competitor, not a eInk replacement.

So, for me, nothing about it makes it seem likely that I'd buy it. I have some really nice tablets, yet always read anything that takes more than a few minutes on my eInk device. Better eInk is what would interest me.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #180
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
For reading fiction I don't need color. Neither do you. Yes, I am pointing at you, everyone!

Improvements of T2 over T1 were pretty noticeable:
1. A better screen:
- warmer white background color (not bluish as on T1)
- increased reflectiveness of the screen, so also contrast.
- increased the screen refresh speed (by more sophisticated algorithms in low level software).
- improved antialiasing.
- reduced artifacts
You are probably familiar with this picture, showing the difference between T1 and T2:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8...2/eink_pwr.jpg
The reduction of artifacts is obvious.
At this magnifications, it might look like T1 has a crisper image, but those fuzzy arrows show improved antialiasing by using gray - at a normal magnification they look just smoother.

2. better, very different hardware (probably better battery life because of that, etc.)

3. T2 buttons more pleasant to use.

4. Non-glossy black frame.

5. Better, more developed unofficial software, includes some important improvements over T1, just one example: better support for T2 buttons for all android apps in general: T2 buttons supported in ListView - if (and where) an app is using it - T2 buttons are working (for example, in Total Commander).

I am looking for some more improvements in T3, higher screen resolution would be welcome.
But I don't want front-light or capacitive touch screen.
Also, not clear if T3 will be hacked and if there will be unofficial software as good as for T2. Does anyone know for sure it is even android?
What would be really welcome, to find open android in T3, or Cool Reader pre-installed by Sony

Last edited by parkher; 07-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote