Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Bob A
Bob A began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
SilkPagoda Disk any good?

Has anyone tried the disk advertised in these forums for the sony reader: http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=631
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Fauve
Fauve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have. I'm not too thrilled about the files being pdfs rather than lrfs (mainly because of the slower pagination and because the type size change function doesn't work) but they are very nicely formatted and display well on the Reader, and the amount of literature you're getting for your dollar can't be beat. In my opinion the DVD is definitely worth its small asking price.
Fauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are a lot of great titles on the disk and it is well worth the cost of the disk. There are books there that I have found no other place. Even if you could find them elsewhere this saves you from downloading over 3 GB of files. Plus having the files around allows you to explore titles that you may otherwise not bother with.

The PDF format, while not ideal IMHO, is very well done. It uses every piece of the screen and leaves no white space around the edges. Yes it does restrict the use of the font size key and it is a bit slower than the same file would be in LRF.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Fauve
Fauve began at the beginning.

The formatting is really one of the best things about the dvd; it's the best example I've seen yet of how to format pdfs specifically for the reader. And, of course, owning the equivalent of a good small-town library for roughly $25 US is pretty darned cool.
Fauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Loved it.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A friend of mine got the Silk Pagoda disk and loaded it on a 4 GB expansion card. He may never need to add books to his Reader again -- just recharge and read.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
I downloaded all the samples from the SilkPagoda website - I understand it's far less than the actual DVD.
the titles are PDFs formatted for the Reader's page size...
I don't underastand your excitement. These are very ugly almost impossible to read!
Try the Egyptian Book of the Dead as and example .
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer

They use every square inch of the screen for type. Some like that while other want a white space around the edge. To each their own. What I like about it is that there are books on there that are not easily available elsewhere, it is formatted for the Sony screen, and its all on a disk so I don't have to download any of it.

Now there are a lot of things on there that I already have in other formats. However, there are a lot more things on it that I don't have so I can now explore and try them.

The most major complaint I have about the Silk Pagoda files for the Sony is that the titles display as all caps rather than mixed case.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
4GB Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
A friend of mine got the Silk Pagoda disk and loaded it on a 4 GB expansion card. He may never need to add books to his Reader again -- just recharge and read.
Was there a way of puttintg the X thousand books in folders.

How did your friend manage to manange so many books?

I am really interested as I like the idea of the DVD but I am not sure if they would be too unmanageable!

Thanks, Andi
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer

They were quite unmanagable.

A day or two later he cleaned the card and went back to loading just a few at a time.