Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
irish
irish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to organize my books in a better way in DX?

Is there a way to create folders in Kindle DX to store different types of books so that I don't need to go through the list of 500+ books every time I look for a book?
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
MacMelo
MacMelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Surprisingly enough, the answer is NO!
Hopefully Amazon will offer such a feature via firmware update...
MacMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can try manipulating the metadata of your books and files to make them sort in an organized way. Check out the Mobi2Mobi Advanced wiki page for suggestions on how to do it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMelo View Post
Surprisingly enough, the answer is NO!
Hopefully Amazon will offer such a feature via firmware update...
Ever since the K1 has come out, users have been asking for folders and you can see how responsive Amazon is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Is there a way to create folders in Kindle DX to store different types of books so that I don't need to go through the list of 500+ books every time I look for a book?
Do a search and you will see dozens of posts/threads on this topic. Why so angry - this is not new, a little research before purchase would have avoided all this.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You can jump using the keyboard if you are sorted by author or title. You can also use the Kindle search to find books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Welcome to MobileRead, Irish.

As you now know, what you are looking for is not available with the Kindles.

If you are still within the exchange period, you could always return it and go with a Sony or other device.

Personally, I just organize by author.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Do people really bounce around that much where navigation is a pain?

Only time I look at my list is when it's time to start reading a new book.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I don't keep very many books on my Kindle. I keep a permanent backup on a USB drive and there they are organized into folders just the way I want them. I also created a spreadsheet with names/authors/source/price/genre and just about any other metadata I could think of. Of course, my spreadsheet indexes into my folder system so I can find any book I want fairly quickly. I put the books I think I'm going to read soon onto the Kindle. If I'm not happy with what's on the Kindle, I can just connect it up to my laptop and transfer any book from the USB drive over to it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Amazon is about as responsive to requests for folders as Apple was for the requested cut/copy/paste on the iPhone.

It took YEARS for something that is common sense to appear in the iPhone, so we might see folders in the next year or two. I usually just keep the number of books to under 50. After all I'm only reading 2-3 at any one time.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If you have that many books, hopefully a few of them are drm free?

So with DRM free books you can go to Calibre and try its 0.6 beta. Then tag your books with terms such as ScienceFiction (no spaces). There is an option in Calibre that adds tags to the book body. This option automatically appends the letters "ttt" to the back of the tag.

Now, you can search for funttt to find all of the books tagged fun.

The importance of the no spaces (ScienceFiction instead of Science Fiction) and adding ttt is so that you don't find hits on ordinary uses of the tag. For example, you don't want to find every book that has the word fun in it, just those that have the fun tag, thus funttt .

Thanks to Kovid for implementing this request of mine.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
In Calibre, where do you find the option to enable adding the "ttt" to the tag? I am looking at v0.6.0b10 but seem to be missing it.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It does it automatically when you tell it to write tags to the book. You don't have to add it.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Ah, thanks. I assumed you had to turn the appending on, it was driving me nuts not being able to find where to do it.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote