Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 AM   #16
zeigerpuppy
zeigerpuppy began at the beginning.

Device: zaurus SL-3100, maybe Iliad soon, still looking
Thanks tribble, good to have some first-hand advice.
I am certainly interested to try linking up my zaurus and an iliad via a peer-to-peer wifi network... which makes me wonder if the iliad can be used as an X-windows client.... off topic I know
zeigerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #17
linreigu
linreigu began at the beginning.

Device: irex, prospective buyer
Zotero users?

Hi,

Are there any Zotero users out there? What are your experiences. The combination of Zotero and Iliad looks awesome. But to what extent can they be integrated? Is it possible to run Firefox on the Iliad in some fashion?
linreigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #18
Matt
Matt began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linreigu View Post
Hi,

Are there any Zotero users out there? What are your experiences. The combination of Zotero and Iliad looks awesome. But to what extent can they be integrated? Is it possible to run Firefox on the Iliad in some fashion?
I don't know about running zotero on the Iliad itself, but I do use it on my computer to manage citations and pdfs. It's currently a bit complicated, but basically what I do is download the pdfs online and index them with zotero. Then, I manually copy ones I want to read my iliad, read and notate them, and copy the folders back over to my computer. Then I use iliadPDFScribble merger to merge the scribble and the PDF documents, and copy the resultant single file back into the appropriate location for zotero.

Or I should say that I've done that a couple of times but haven't made it a habit. I need to automate the process.

best,

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #19
linreigu

Hi Matt,

That sounds pretty straightforward actually. I'm amazed at the capabilities of Zotero -- especially the automatic download. I now have some 500 pdf articles on my computer and I'm not in a mood to print them all out.

A complication in my case is that I run Ubuntu -- you wouldn't have any experiences of that?

yours,

Erik
Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
readmore
readmore began at the beginning.

Device: palm tungsten tx
I just floated this discussion on zotero.org to see if we could get some insight from the other side... theoretically, firefox could run on the iliad... and theoretically, zotero could, right?
readmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by linreigu View Post

A complication in my case is that I run Ubuntu -- you wouldn't have any experiences of that?
I've used Ubuntu but am currently running macosx. Still, all the software mentioned above should run fine on any linux flavor, including the scribbler merger program which is java.

best,

Matt
Old 12-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #22
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by readmore View Post
I just floated this discussion on zotero.org to see if we could get some insight from the other side... theoretically, firefox could run on the iliad... and theoretically, zotero could, right?
seems to me that Firefox is way too resource hungry to run on an Iliad. Personally, I prefer to manage my documents on a computer, and read my documents on the Iliad - sort of the same task division as itunes/ipod.

best,

Matt
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
linreigu

Hi Matt,

Thanks. That's very helpful. I should just make the move and buy it!

yours,

Erik
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
readmore
readmore began at the beginning.

Device: palm tungsten tx
True - but last I checked, getting a song / CD into itunes was a drag and drop - I'm just hoping for a more streamlined approach... just being lazy that way.

With the wireless functionality... that could be an efficient way to "synchronize" with Zotero? or other reference / note manager software... just brainstorming out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
seems to me that Firefox is way too resource hungry to run on an Iliad. Personally, I prefer to manage my documents on a computer, and read my documents on the Iliad - sort of the same task division as itunes/ipod.

best,

Matt
readmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #25
zeigerpuppy
zeigerpuppy began at the beginning.

Device: zaurus SL-3100, maybe Iliad soon, still looking
how about samba

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=samba

this thread mentions how to set up samba on the iliad, probably the easiest way to transfer files, as you could mount the iliad on your pc files system and use it just like local storage, this is what I do with my zaurus anyway.
zeigerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeigerpuppy View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=samba

this thread mentions how to set up samba on the iliad, probably the easiest way to transfer files, as you could mount the iliad on your pc files system and use it just like local storage, this is what I do with my zaurus anyway.
Actually (and to also address the previous post) the Iliad works in USB host mode - plug it in and it looks like a standard drive. This allows you to "drag and drop" files from your computer to it - which works fine as long as you place them in the appropriate locations.

That being said, samba - along with the Iliad's wireless functionality - does make for a possibly more elegant solution. Run samba on both host computer and Iliad and have untethered drag and drop file transfer.

best,

Matt
Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
[...]
As for managing files, I just use bibtex, with all my entries in one big file, and I use JabRef to manage them. What's nice is, it can import ISI-exported reference lists. No typing!

[...]

Then I can put the files in any folder structure under a single directory, and JabRef can find them by name (since the name is the same as the key).

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a good way of taking notes yet. I don't like writing on the files directly, I like to have all my notes in one place. My current approach is to have a notes file in LyX where I take notes on each article as I read it. This has pluses and minuses, but it's the best method I've found so far...
I've now have all my bibtex refs in one file and have started using jabref as well and really like it. One nice thing jabref has is an easy way to create export filters. I have created one that creates a manifest.xml from the bib entry. This uses the article/book title as the title, then authors, year, journal name and pages in the description section. I have modified my script for creating container folders to use this manifest.xml, so it is now a very quick and easy process for me to search for articles and import the entries into the bibliography, create a manifest.xml and then create the container folder with the manifest.xml.

I just take notes in the "Review" window in jabref, so they are relatively easy to search, including specifying fields and are all in one place.

Here's the jabref export filter in case anyone is interested. It needs to be named iliad.layout but the file upload seems to want me to call it .txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt iliad.layout.txt (979 Bytes, 681 views)

Last edited by daudi; 01-10-2008 at 09:35 AM.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #28
Spatte
Spatte began at the beginning.

Device: None
daudi, could you show more explicitly how you make the container folders and the files that are supposed to go in there? Examples would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

/ Sp
Spatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Here's the bash script that I use. It's pretty simple really. It creates a scribble.irx file (for holding your scribbles), and just creates a directory, moves in the pdf, scribble and manifest files, and renames the directory. I now create the manifest file using the jabref template earlier in this thread.

I have another version of the script that I need to merge with this one that also includes an image, or rather the path to an image depending on the journal.

Code:
<image>../_cover-images/$3.png</image>
I make that image line the last thing before the tag that closes the </y-metadata>
This way I only need one copy of each image for each journal.

I have this integrated with my file manager so I just create the manifest file using jabref, and save it in the same directory as the PDF file and then call this script on the PDF file.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #30
daudi
Addict

Oops, here's the script.
Attached Files
File Type: txt iliad_pdf_container2.txt (488 Bytes, 416 views)