Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No hibernate option, Home doesn't work

I fired up my PE for the first time in several weeks and have a couple of problems:
- the only shutdown option I get is 'power off', and it will not automatically hibernate
- Home button doesn't bring up Home screen, holding Home doesn't bring up app switching. It will wake up the screen if it's gone to screensaver mode. So I have to hit Back button to get back to Home screen.

Otherwise all seems normal.

I de-registered the device. Would that matter? (is it still possible to register?)

It's running Ermine-0.9.

Suggestions?

Thanks
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Try resetting the unit.

Mine was doing weird things when it came out of several days in hibernate.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
It would appear to be time for the paper-clip to be employed in the reset hole by the USB socket - firm but gentle is the way to go.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tried reset (again), no change.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is something for those with the PE to answer - I have the EE and our last resort action is to pull the battery and then restart when it is replaced.

There are a couple of threads that mention this in the PE but I didn't note them down, sorry.
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

So I'm ready to pull the battery. It's under the tablet side, correct? (where the heck did I put my spudgers?)

Will I need to reset any passwords, etc.?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So I'm ready to pull the battery. It's under the tablet side, correct? (where the heck did I put my spudgers?)

Will I need to reset any passwords, etc.?
Wearing my Diagnostic Engineer's hat I have to ask, have you tried holding the power switch off for more that 6 seconds? Many times this switches the PE off so that you can restart it.

Should you decide to take the unit apart there is a thread about this with some pictures as well. Apparently there are only 4 screws that you have to remove to get at the battery but read that thread first.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Wearing my Diagnostic Engineer's hat I have to ask, have you tried holding the power switch off for more that 6 seconds? Many times this switches the PE off so that you can restart it.

Should you decide to take the unit apart there is a thread about this with some pictures as well. Apparently there are only 4 screws that you have to remove to get at the battery but read that thread first.
Is this what your talking about? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137889
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru

I come back to add that ref and find you've done it for me, thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes I tried power switch reset also.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Pulling the battery did not fix it, still no hibernate option, Home button still doesn't work.

Re-install Ermine? or is there anything I can do with Android SDK?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Pulling the battery did not fix it, still no hibernate option, Home button still doesn't work.

Re-install Ermine? or is there anything I can do with Android SDK?
OK, when you had it open did you check the cable from the button board was seated completely - asked just in case there was a no connection situation.

If all was OK then the next thing to do is to revert to 1.6 using the golden update. This 'update' is a complete install of the operating system whereas Ermine only replaces part of that with updated sections.

Since you updated to Ermine you know what to do to make it work - just use the update.golden.1.6.zip and make sure it is for the PE. Do check you have a good download as it is over 200 MB.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, when you had it open did you check the cable from the button board was seated completely - asked just in case there was a no connection situation.

If all was OK then the next thing to do is to revert to 1.6 using the golden update. This 'update' is a complete install of the operating system whereas Ermine only replaces part of that with updated sections.

Since you updated to Ermine you know what to do to make it work - just use the update.golden.1.6.zip and make sure it is for the PE. Do check you have a good download as it is over 200 MB.
Thanks.

Probably the cable connection is good since Home does wake up the screen. It seems if that were the problem it would not explain the 'no hibernate' issue. But I'll check.

I have this suspicion that this happened somehow when I de-registered and deleted data (was planning to sell it). Maybe it corrupted some file in the process. Seems like there should be some recovery procedure short of restoring 1.6 but at least that is something to try—it's not very usable in its current state.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #14
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Thanks.

Probably the cable connection is good since Home does wake up the screen. It seems if that were the problem it would not explain the 'no hibernate' issue. But I'll check.

I have this suspicion that this happened somehow when I de-registered and deleted data (was planning to sell it). Maybe it corrupted some file in the process. Seems like there should be some recovery procedure short of restoring 1.6 but at least that is something to try—it's not very usable in its current state.
If it's not too difficult to check do it - the number of 'keyboard doesn't work properly' problems on notebooks that we fix just by plugging the keyboard back in...

There have been a number of cases where deleting or changing files have caused problems - usually because the OS is looking for a file, even if it is zero length, and if it isn't there just hangs. That is the reason the best way to clean out personal data is to use the golden update path - everything is replaced and you end up with a device just as it was from the factory.

We all agree that it would have been very good if Entourage had produced an Ermine golden update but they didn't and we must be thankful we have what we do.