Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
How often do you see Kindles in public?

With Kindle being the #1 e-reader, I'm surprised how many people I see still reading paper books. I would think that since Amazon announced they sell more Kindle books than hardcovers, you'd been seeing them pop up all over the place. But for me, not so much. Just curious if any of you are seeing the same thing I am, and why you suppose that is. I live in a fairly large city, do i don't think it's a lack of exposure.
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have not seen ANY kind of ebook reader "in the wild" that I didn't have a hand in putting out there!

I have five friends all using ebook readers because I either talked them into it or simply tempted them by showing them mine.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Well, I'm glad it's not just me. With all the media hype, you'd think they'd be everywhere.

I thought maybe I was living in some other parallel universe
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think I've seen anyone using an e-book reader of any kind, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone reading a hardback book outside, either. When I see people reading books, they tend to be paperbacks.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Here we are going into Oct. 2010 and I am the only eBook reader with a eReader on the Toronto subway. Many are reading on their cell phones.

Kobo owner.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am in the UK and commute to London, I have only ever seen two other ereaders, a kindle 2, and a Sony Touch 600. I don't know anyone else who reads on an ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #7
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I've seen one K3 on a bus and a K2 on the train.

In my office one person had a sony of some kind, now there are 4 K3s that I know of (one to replace the sony).

I've had 2 strangers asking me how it is because they were considering one themselves as well.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Not spotted a single Kindle in the wild, in the Netherlands. (nor any other ereader).
I travelled al over the world with my iLiad these last few years and only once (at an airport) I saw someone with an ereader; a Sony I think.
Imagine: at the Municipal Archives,where I work, I'm considered some sort of gadgetfreak because they've seen me reading on an iLiad, iPad and now a Kindle (what! another new toy!).
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I'm considered some sort of gadgetfreak because they've seen me reading on an iLiad, iPad and now a Kindle (what! another new toy!).
Thats exactly the reaction I get!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thats exactly the reaction I get!
Thank you Josieb 1; glad I'm not the only one.
I'm used to feeling a weirdo concerning books (about the amount of books I have or always having a book or two in my bag), but ' gadgetfreak' was a new one for me. I readily embraced ereaders, once I saved enough money to buy my first iLiad (400 euro 2nd-hand), and now the Kindle is set at such a nice price.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
brainstorm
brainstorm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
In Sydney metro I saw a K2 6 months ago and a K3 just 2 days back
brainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Never seen a Wild Kindle,

Think I saw 1 eReader before I got one,

I am a Radio Ham .... Our local club boasts almost 100 members,

I now Know there are 5 of us (6 if you count Wendie) with readers,

No Kindles except Wendie and I yet,

Did think of trying to breed my kindle with my Sony though .... !

eReaders are Taking Over the world
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I commute to London too - saw a Kindle 3 in the wild yesterday so that was 2 of us in the same carriage - Josieb1, you're not on the train to Windsor are you?

Whoever the Kindle 3 lady was, she was sitting right underneath the advert that is at the end of every carriage on Southwest Trains at the moment .....

Also saw a Sony 650 last week while waiting at Twickenham for a connection.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have seen tons of ereaders, not necessarily Kindle, on the Toronto subway. I have seen two other Kindles, about 5 Sonys and tons of people reading on the Kobo app on their iPhones. I personally know of three 'regular' people (not counting Pholy from the forums) who have ebook readers---my mom, who has the Kobo I gave her, my dad who has the Kobo I gave him, and my SIL's mother who has a Sony all on her own
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
I don't believe Kindle sells a lot in my country. There must be plenty of iPads bought by many fanboys, but havent seen them carrying them around.

GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote