Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So much to read! Facing choice overload right now...

1) When Fictionwise had their 'complete the series' sale, I completed a series. That's half a dozen books...

2) Just got the Southern Vampire series from Fictionwise at 100% Micropay. I already had one of the books (it was free awhile back) and the others were all in the $6 or so range. I wanted the micropay for a magazine subscription in the new year. So that's about 8 books, I think, only one of which I have already read...

3) Speaking of magazine subscriptions, I will not tell you how behind I am on the Asimovs I got with the micropay I used *last* year on a magazine subscription...

4) Also have picked up, as sale and freebies, several dozen books I read in paper once and jumped at the chance, at the right price, to get an ebook version for. I hesitate to mark them as 'read' until I have read them on the ebook reader to make sure they are okay...(one of these is The Mists of Avalon, which is more than 500 pages. I was happy to save the shelf space, but this will not be a one-day e-read...)

5) Downloaded two books from here which had a short story I wanted. Turns out they are part of multi-book omnibus collections, which is great because it means I can now look forward to a large collection of stories I know I will like. But again, not one day reads...

6) And of course there are the other books I have downloaded from here and from Feedbooks. My rule is 'if it crosses my radar, it's free and it looks even remotely interesting, I download it.' So there are another hundred or so books...

7) My public library fell off my radar when they stopped getting new ebooks. Turns out they were just pausing to switch formats and now they have about 150 epub-format books...some of which are new releases...

So...great! Ficbot has tons of books! Would take years to get through them all! Yay! So...what to read?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I'm facing the same problem : too many books to read ! And the question is the same too : Which one will be the next ?
You could try and make a list, maybe 2-3 by genre, so it could help for the decision.
... Though I must admit that it didn't do the trick for me, I read only 1 of my list since I made it, I keep going with others...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I hear ya. I've got plenty of newer stuff to read & adding more all the time, plus I'd really like to expand what I've read of classic/pd stuff that folks have uploaded here. Some days it can be hard to decide what's next and I simply can't choose.

What I usually do is re-read something I really liked in the past and hope that when I finish that I'll be able to decide on something new.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed lately also. My problem is that I honestly think the most interesting new writers out there are denizens of MR's "Writers' Corner." And they are very prolific. So my 505 is full, and I've started most of them, but not finishing anything. And my available reading time has dropped to zero, since I'm driving to work and not just a passenger anymore. I'm drowning! HELP!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm drowning too! HELP! I've time but more books than time. My TBR is going to kill me!
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My TBR list is so big it has a hardcover edition!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Add me to the drowning club. 134 unread on my reader and at least 150 on an SD card and I don't seem to be able to stop buying!
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
And nobody has mentioned the daily blogs, MR threads, book reviews, daily newspapers, Google ebook alerts...

...mastering Calibre, figuring out the DRM stripping process...

aarrrggg! some days I feel so overwhelmed I want a cigarette! a beer!
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
In The Polysyllabic Spree, p 124-125, Nick Hornby is commenting on ‘So Many Books’ by Gabriel Zaid: “Zaid’s finest moment, however, comes in his second paragraph, when he says that ‘the truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more.’”

I'm not an obssesive book collector; I'm cultured.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
Add me to the drowning club. 134 unread on my reader and at least 150 on an SD card and I don't seem to be able to stop buying!
Damn that one-click purchase! Away with those freebies!
(Errm....I just bought 2 more books at lunch today - don't tell anyone)
Old 09-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
In The Polysyllabic Spree, p 124-125, Nick Hornby is commenting on ‘So Many Books’ by Gabriel Zaid: “Zaid’s finest moment, however, comes in his second paragraph, when he says that ‘the truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more.’”

I'm not an obssesive book collector; I'm cultured.
In that case, my credit card is HIGHLY cultured, maybe even aristocratic!!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK
I haven't even bought anything...have found so much, and now with all the great writing I'm finding thru MR's authors! I've approx. 200 on my reader, and dozens of links on my PC desktop to places/authors/writings to be added 'at a future date'.

This ebook thing is so addictive....pass the pistachios, please
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
I thought I had more than enough... and then I discovered Baen's Free Library. The horror!
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
I thought I had more than enough... and then I discovered Baen's Free Library. The horror!
Not to mention the Baen CD's
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
Ah yes...Baen's ....it was one of my 1st.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote