Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
thernr
thernr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How best to share calibre library on a NAS?

Hello,

I would like to try calibre--it looks like an amazing program. Our kindle library is getting unwieldy.

I'd like to maintain one library that I and my husband can access from multiple devices: 4 laptops (2 XP, 1 Win7, 1 Mac Air), 1 older kindle (no wifi, and no 3G because we are overseas), 1 ipad touch, and hopefully an ipad soon. We have a Synology NAS (network attached storage) which we can access over our wifi. We transfer all files to the kindle using USB.

Is it possible to do the installation as follows:
- create a folder on the Synology hard drive to hold the library
- install calibre on each computer, choosing the correct version for each OS
- set each instance of calibre on the 4 laptops to use the folder created on the NAS as the default location for the book library

Will this work OK? Or is there a better way to share one calibre library between our computers? Would it be better to use the portable version of calibre (possibly installed on the NAS)?

I'd like to be able to manage the library from any computer, and read books on the kindle, ipod, and Mac Air.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Ruth

Last edited by thernr; 07-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.
thernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is currently a Single user database. It does not care where it stores the data, only that ONE user can be connected (running Calibre) on a single Library.
Using the Content server feature allow READ access to content for many users (assuming copyright considerations are observed). Only One user (at any time) may run the main Calibre program and make changes.
Bad things can happen if 2 users are making changes.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
thernr
thernr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you!

That makes sense that there could be problems with making changes to calibre from multiple computers.

Where would I find more information on the "content server" feature that allows more than one user Read-Only access? Is this a way to have calibre installed on multiple computers, but with each computer limited to Read-Only priviledges?

Is it possible to have a full-access installation of calibre Portable loaded onto the network-attached hard drive?

Ruth
thernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thernr View Post
Thank you!

That makes sense that there could be problems with making changes to calibre from multiple computers.

Where would I find more information on the "content server" feature that allows more than one user Read-Only access? Is this a way to have calibre installed on multiple computers, but with each computer limited to Read-Only priviledges?

Is it possible to have a full-access installation of calibre Portable loaded onto the network-attached hard drive?

Ruth
The content server is started from the Connect/share Icon and runs while Calibre is running on that PC.
All others connect to it using a standard web browser (LAN side your PC's IP:8080 (or other assigned port) ex. 192.168.0.17:8080
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
warfab
warfab began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I have my own library in my Synology (DS110J) which I remotely manage with Calibre from a pc. But when it comes to serving books, I use COPS : Calibre OPDS PHP Server on my Synology so I won't need to have a PC to be on all the time to get the books I want.
warfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, nas, network, shared library