Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Question Will Kobo ever get collections/shelves??

My husband broke my Kobo Wi-Fi this weekend.

But now I get to buy a new book reader!

I thought - at first - that I'd just get a new Kobo Touch...but then I realized that Kobo still doesn't offer shelves or collections! That really makes me take a more serious look at the Nook STR.

I'd really like to stay with Kobo as it has been working perfectly fine for me but as a genre reader who reads mostly multi-series books not having collections is a serious PIA.

How likely is it that Kobo will push a software update that will include collections in the future? Any educated guesses?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
There has been much discussion but no promises. However the iDevice Kobo app does support shelves; in the past most (all?) of the iOS features have been pushed to the Kobo reader software.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Nook Collections is a pain

Beginning of July, I bought the Nook touch and Kobo touch. On the Nook touch, adding collections was a pain because you can only do it from the device. (I don't know if there was a firmware release afterwards to make adding collections for the Nook easier.) If you don't have a lot of books, this might not be a problem for you. I had about 300 books and there was no way I was going to do my collections on the device itself. You had to scroll through the whole list of books, and select which book goes in the collection. Then go through the whole list of books again for each collection!

With the Kobo Touch, there is the shortlist, which I really liked - I just added the books I want to read to that list. And then the search functionality for the Kobo Touch was nice. If I typed the first letters of an author or title, Kobo Touch is already filtering the list for me. I decided I didn't really need collections after all. Nice to have for me, but not a deal breaker.

In the end, I returned my Nook and kept the Kobo Touch.
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
Beginning of July, I bought the Nook touch and Kobo touch. On the Nook touch, adding collections was a pain because you can only do it from the device. (I don't know if there was a firmware release afterwards to make adding collections for the Nook easier.) If you don't have a lot of books, this might not be a problem for you. I had about 300 books and there was no way I was going to do my collections on the device itself. You had to scroll through the whole list of books, and select which book goes in the collection. Then go through the whole list of books again for each collection!

With the Kobo Touch, there is the shortlist, which I really liked - I just added the books I want to read to that list. And then the search functionality for the Kobo Touch was nice. If I typed the first letters of an author or title, Kobo Touch is already filtering the list for me. I decided I didn't really need collections after all. Nice to have for me, but not a deal breaker.

In the end, I returned my Nook and kept the Kobo Touch.

Now that is something to think about, thanks! I do have too many books to do them one at a time...

I guess I can continue to use Calibre work arounds but it's a little annoying.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I too would like to see collections, libraries or shelves. Whatever you want to call them so long as Calibre supports them.

Obviously I'd like to limit my viewing of the list of books to one particular collection, library or shelf.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I read somewhere from a Dev that it indeed in the plans (or at least a better system), once all the feature are available to both ePub & kepub are finished, they should start working on it. Maybe they are keeping 2.0 for this?
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
jadacks
jadacks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I really hope they add collections soon, trying to manage my large and growing library of ebooks on the kobo touch is horrible. If not I'll switch to sony, I've heard they have good collections support.
jadacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
I read somewhere from a Dev that it indeed in the plans (or at least a better system), once all the feature are available to both ePub & kepub are finished, they should start working on it. Maybe they are keeping 2.0 for this?

Funny you mention this, I saw on the new Chapters' Kobo Touch website that there is an image of an alternate Library interface. Is this doctored from the previous models of Kobo?

JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Interesting. You can use the alphabet to jump to books. Similar to Sony. This feature was mentioned in the wish list thread. Perhaps they are implementing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Funny you mention this, I saw on the new Chapters' Kobo Touch website that there is an image of an alternate Library interface. Is this doctored from the previous models of Kobo?

SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post

This view is available on my Kobo Original and, I am assuming, on the Kobo WiFi.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Most likely they Photoshopped the original library on the Touch in time for the launch or pre-launch and haven't updated it.

Last edited by Nigol; 11-01-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I too would like to see collections, libraries or shelves. Whatever you want to call them so long as Calibre supports them.
That's the plan. As soon as a release shows up with support for collections I will work on integrating it with Calibre.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
That's the plan. As soon as a release shows up with support for collections I will work on integrating it with Calibre.
Tim
Ahh, you're the programmer/developer of the Kobo integration stuff in Calibre, then?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Ahh, you're the programmer/developer of the Kobo integration stuff in Calibre, then?
Yes I am
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wow is that page ever wrong.

Quote:
Battery Life
With a month long battery life, you can continue enjoying your Kobo Touch for up to 200,000 page turns.
This is obviously a typo, someone added an extra Zero.

Quote:
Find your books faster with improved search, highlight passages, bookmark multiple pages, and jump back and forth to any page in your book with full navigation – all by the touch of your finger.
This is not in the current stable firmware.

Quote:
Reading Life
Expand your reading life by sharing your favourite books with friends on Facebook™ and Twitter. Unlock awards through eReading and track your progress with Reading Life stats.
As far as I see you cannot share anything to Twitter.

Last edited by The Terminator; 11-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote