Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
pdf size limit ? prs-650

tried placing a couple of large pdfs ( game strategy guides ) onto my sony.
neither would open - I get immediate invalid page errors.

I guess that is because they are too big, but I cannot find any mention of size limit in sony documentation ?

had to go through the tedious pdf to epub convert & patch up process in order to view them on reader.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
How big where the files?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i tried with 2 game guides , smaller of the 2 was about 28MB.

larger was over 100MB - 771 pages.

they are OK if I convert them to epub & split them into lots of component files but that means using both calibre & sigil to make a readable copy - I know of no way to split the source pdf into smaller, more digestible chunks.

NB Kindle 3 does not have this issue - OK , its pdf display is crap but at least it accepts any size file via USB i& tries its best, whereas Sony just gives up!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why does the reader get the blame always... I've had 200MB+PDFs running happily on 505-650s with no problems apart from an occasional slowdown... These were properly produce and edited PDFs that did not consist of assembled jpg images as pages... What are your game guides... commercially produced or "hobbyist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i tried with 2 game guides , smaller of the 2 was about 28MB.

larger was over 100MB - 771 pages.

they are OK if I convert them to epub & split them into lots of component files but that means using both calibre & sigil to make a readable copy - I know of no way to split the source pdf into smaller, more digestible chunks.

NB Kindle 3 does not have this issue - OK , its pdf display is crap but at least it accepts any size file via USB i& tries its best, whereas Sony just gives up!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Why does the reader get the blame always... I've had 200MB+PDFs running happily on 505-650s with no problems apart from an occasional slowdown... These were properly produce and edited PDFs that did not consist of assembled jpg images as pages... What are your game guides... commercially produced or "hobbyist"

the reader gets the blame because the files open OK on PC , but not on Sony reader Q>E>D>

1. we are talking about a PRS-650 here not a 505 or 605

2. surely .pdf format is .pdf format - how it was made should be irrelevant as far as the reader goes- it should not matter whether a PDF is commercial or is made by me sticking 999 jpg files together . both comply to the same spec & both should be supported.- or the hardware should have a declared file size or number of images limit that is documented.

3. FYI I tried to use were downloaded from here
http://guides.gamepressure.com/

4. I have other guides by other publishers e.g. prima eguides that I could test with but I'd bet on getting the same page error issue every time.

UPDATE

ok so testing & inspecting
1. the game pressure guide pdf properties according to windows are:
made with Acrobat PDFMaker 9.0 for Word 128bit AES encryption ???? ( puzzling as it's a free to download guide )

i put 2 official prima e-guides onto the reader.
PDF properties - made with Adobe InDesign CS4 (6.0.6) encrypted - No

they both open OK ( though the big one is a tad slow to use) - so the AES encryption thing is in need of some googling I guess

Last edited by cybmole; 04-04-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Point 1... read my statement, it says 505-650... this means Sony eReaders PRS-505 up to and including PRS-650... clear.

Point2... check out many, many comments, details and other information... a pdf is not the same as every other pdf... there are many ways to make pdfs that don't use Adobe tools, there are many ways to make apparently working pdfs that don't meet the specifications of pdf and there are many pdfs that will work on some platforms but not others, especially if the one that fails happens to implement a more accurate version of the pdf reading software...

It makes a huge difference as to whether it's 999 jpgs, commercial or otherwise... PDFs allow the inclusion of images in documents but were never intended to hold hundreds of page sized jpgs, apart from anything else, this is far more memory intensive and eReaders don't actually have vast amounts of working ram.

3. Have just visited your referred site and these are exactly the sort of pdfs that do cause problems because they are rarely standard pdfs.

4. Probably, if produced to the same "standard"

Doesn't alter the fact that correctly produced pdfs work fine... I've had a 1950 page pdf that worked just great but it had actual text and not page sized jpgs... also meant things like dictionary and searches worked as well... and this is on a PRS-505, a PRS-600, a PRS 350 and a PRS-650... funnily enough it also works fine on an iRiver, an Elonex colour, an Android Tablet and every computer I've put them on... because it's not a bunch of jpgs stuck together in a pdf...

And I'm not saying the files you tried were all jpgs stuck together, could just as easily be a load of web pages/html badly put together as a pdf... point being that just because it works on some equipment and not on others, doesn't automatically make it an equipment fault, it's just as easily a failure to adhere to standards... try remaking the pdf yourself to improve it, plenty of free and paid tools around...

Edit: just seen your update... Word is notorious for putting unwanted junk in pdfs and screwing them up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the reader gets the blame because the files open OK on PC , OK on Kindle, not on Sony reader Q>E>D>

1. we are talking about a PRS-650 here not a 505 or 605

2. surely .pdf format is .pdf format - how it was made should be irrelevant as far as the reader goes- it should not matter whether a PDF is commercial or is made by me sticking 999 jpg files together . both comply to the same spec & both should be supported.- or the hardware should have a declared file size or number of images limit that is documented.

3. FYI I tried to use were downloaded from here
http://guides.gamepressure.com/

4. I have other guides by other publishers e.g. prima eguides that I could test with but I'd bet on getting the same page error issue every time.

Last edited by elcreative; 04-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - I updated my post while yours was already happening.

seems to be the AES encryption thing that causes sony to choke. googled it but I'm not much wiser :-(

so I've emailed the game site - if they have anything helpful to say then I will post their response here.

meantime it seems there is no file size limit as such.