Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
ejohnson78
ejohnson78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sony PRS-500 Invalid Page

Evening,

I'm new to this forum. I did a quick search on here looking for advice on the error I've come across but couldn't find anything so I do apologise if this has been posted before or should be posted elsewhere.

I have recently been given a Sony Reader PRS-500, it hasn't had the firmware (hope that's the right term) updated. I've contacted Sony in the USA to arrange to have it sent to be updated, it's turned into a lengthy process as I'm in Australia.

But in the mean time I'd like to put some books on the reader.

I purchased a book from Borders (here in Australia) and got the ASCM key (once again hope this is the right term) I transferred the book in my Sony Reader Library Software, it appears in the library there (in PDF format) and I can read it on the computer, but when I try to transfer it on to my reader, it transfers the title, but that's it. On the reader when I click on the book it tells me there's only one page in this book (which of course there isn't) and if I select begin off the menu it bring up an icon with an exclamation mark in a triagle and underneath it says Invalid Page!

I have no idea what this means and what I've done wrong.

Somewhere on here I read about using Calibre, I downloaded that. But my device doesn't appear anywhere so I don't know how to get that to happen either :-(

I'm getting very frustrated and wondering if it's worth having an ereader :-(

Reader - Sony PRS-500
Computer is running on XP
Version listed on Reader is 1.0.03.07170

Can anyone help a naive ereader owner?
ejohnson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The PDF book you purchased has DRM on it. Almost any PDF or ePUb you purchase will have a version of DRM called Adobe Adept.

Your PRS-500 as it stands now (not having the firmware upgrade) is not able to read PDFs and ePubs with DRM. If you were to take the steps to get the firmware upgraded you would then be able to read the purchased PDF on the 500.

The Sony PRS-500 was first introduced in the U.S. in 2006 and is the only reader that requires the unit to be sent to Sony to get the firmware for reading DRM PDF and ePub. Every Sony PRS model after the 500 either comes pre-installed with this firmware or has the ability for the user to update it themselves.

There has been many advances since the 500 was released 4 years ago and there are options to choose from in Australia if you decide that sending your 500 to the U.S. is too much of a hassle.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert