Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Things like AirPlay will not be available on certain devices because they do not have the chipset to support it is my understanding, not because Apple chooses not to. Is that correct?
Well, Siri does not work on the 4, but the app that Siri is based on worked on the 4.
iMaps turn by turn doesn't work on the 4, but Google maps offers turn by turn on the 4. OK, that was a bad example, it's actually a blessing that imaps doesn't work on the 4 and you're restricted to Google maps.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

This is merely obsolescence by design, a business model made famous by the Detroit automakers long ago and practiced by nearly every major manufacturer in the USA and beyond! Nothing new here, nothing to cast stones at Apple over unless you also cast stones equally at all the other companies doing the same thing, and yes that includes the manufacturers of Android phones. If you (a "you" directed at no person in particular) owned a company that sold electronics, would you try to make every model you sold in the last 5 years remain compatible with all new firmware updates. I doubt it, unless of course you wanted to bankrupt the company. We consumers love shiny new things. We consumers demand shiny new things on a regular basis. They just give us what we want.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #33
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This is merely obsolescence by design, a business model made famous by the Detroit automakers long ago and practiced by nearly every major manufacturer in the USA and beyond! Nothing new here, nothing to cast stones at Apple over unless you also cast stones equally at all the other companies doing the same thing, and yes that includes the manufacturers of Android phones. If you (a "you" directed at no person in particular) owned a company that sold electronics, would you try to make every model you sold in the last 5 years remain compatible with all new firmware updates. I doubt it, unless of course you wanted to bankrupt the company. We consumers love shiny new things. We consumers demand shiny new things on a regular basis. They just give us what we want.
Yes, Apple will take the money their customers drop into their coffers.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobody's "making" anyone buy anything. I have an iPhone 4 that's well over 3 years old. It does exactly what I want, and I've no intention of upgrading it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nobody's "making" anyone buy anything. I have an iPhone 4 that's well over 3 years old. It does exactly what I want, and I've no intention of upgrading it.
There are plenty like you Harry. I am one as well. I have a used phone that replaced a similar used phone when I sent it through the wash one night when I was dead tired. I am going to hold on to it until I can get a cheaper data service.

Still there are a lot of people that are "compelled" in one way or another, to get the latest. You know them I am sure. No one twists their arm literally, but the expressions "Will have to get that," "must have that," "irresistible," etc., does come into play with a lot of those people.

Some steal the phones or the money for the phones. Some use money that would be better spent elsewhere. Some trade kidneys for the phones.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Given that the 4 was announced on June 24th, 2010, I somewhat doubt the "well over" part.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Given that the 4 was announced on June 24th, 2010, I somewhat doubt the "well over" part.
I think that it was Einstein that talked about time being "relative."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #38
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I think that it was Einstein that talked about time being "relative."
there is an interesting "people" parallel view as well.

resultant: all is relative
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yeah, whatever. I got it on launch day and I've had it a long time - I know that.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Yeah, whatever. I got it on launch day and I've had it a long time - I know that.
It would be interesting to see statistics on how many people always immediately buy the next model phone (all manufacturers) and an average for how long everyone keeps them.

Of course you would have to weed out the group that had device failures. (or claimed failures anyway)

I have seen those kinds of numbers for cars
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a difference between changing an Icon and just changing the Look of an Icon.
There is a conundrum: Icon: An enduring symbol
You know, I have always thought that "icon" was an arrogantly self-important choice of names for these things.

I remember taking driver's ed back in the '80, when the public-at-large was not familiar with computer GUI terms.

The teacher asked us what the common name was for the indicator lights on car dashboards, like the little oil lamp and the light bulb symbols. I guessed "icon" since I was a computer geek.
He scoffed and said "An icon is a religious image! The indicators are called 'idiot lights'."

"Icon" vs. "idiot light." There's a political dichotomy for you.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 06-14-2013 at 09:22 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
And most, if not all, of the apps in the iTunes store will run on your phone. If they didn't, would you still be satisfied with your phone?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
And most, if not all, of the apps in the iTunes store will run on your phone. If they didn't, would you still be satisfied with your phone?
Wouldn't bother me, to be honest. I use very few non-standard apps. Mail, web-browsing and music are the main uses for my phone. The only 3rd party app I use with any regularity is an online banking app from my bank. I'm still using iOS5 (can't be bothered to upgrade to iOS 6 ).

When the battery capacity falls to a level that it becomes a problem I'll have to do something. I'll probably buy whatever the current iPhone at that time is. I really do like my iPhone.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You know, I have always thought that "icon" was an arrogantly self-important choice of names for these things.

I remember taking driver's ed back in the '80, when the public-at-large was not familiar with computer GUI terms.

The teacher asked us what the common name was for the indicator lights on car dashboards, like the little oil lamp and the light bulb symbols. I guessed "icon" since I was a computer geek.
He scoffed and said "An icon is a religious image! The indicators are called 'idiot lights'."

"Icon" vs. "idiot light." There's a political dichotomy for you.

ApK
I wonder if they knew anything about the holy icons. I know that, in recent years, icons have had some bit of popularity outside the Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt that many outside the EO know. I suspect that they were going with the definition of 'icon' as a pictorial representation of something.

As for latest and greatest phones, I'm still rolling with an ancient and crusty Razr flipper.

If Apple dropped prices to decent levels, that would amaze and astonish me. I'd actually look at an iPad. Despite the massive and manifold evils of iTunes.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I wonder if they knew anything about the holy icons. I know that, in recent years, icons have had some bit of popularity outside the Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt that many outside the EO know. I suspect that they were going with the definition of 'icon' as a pictorial representation of something.
It's not like in the history of human communication, words have ever been repurposed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote