Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
How do you back up your ebooks?

I am new to ebooks since I bought my Kobo at the end of May but in the past few months I have acquired a nice collection. I wouldn't like to lose them so what should I do to protect them?

At the moment I have my books on the Kobo, in ADE on my computer, and the ones I have purchased from Kobo and Borders are in their "clouds" - what ever that means!

I am thinking that my Kobo might die or be lost and I could choose to replace it with a different ereader.
My computer could die. It seems to do that regularly.
Borders, Kobo, Adobe etc could go out of business.

The only back up I have so far is for some of the books which I have backed up on an external hard drive. I have been thinking about using an SD card to make another copy of the books but I thought I would ask the question here.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I do a double backup.

1. Calibre library and separate location on same HDD
2. External 500Gb Western Digital portable using Microsoft's free Synctoy utility.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My Calibre library is kept inside my Dropbox folder. It backs up automatically to a web account. You can get two gb for free and if you sign up using the link I gave, you (and I) get some extra space I would not reply on the 'cloud' of the bookstore. I had some issues recently where I had to re-download some books but since they were no longer for sale by Fictionwise where I bought them, they would not let me download then again. It took awhile to straighten out and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I like Dropbox because it is a no-brainer. Whatever is in that folder gets backed up and I don't have to think about it. When my hard drive crashed, it was very easy to get things up and running again, I just downloaded the folder, told Calibre my library was there, and it found everything.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
All my books are triple backed-up. My entire library (with its sub-folder for the Calibre library) are on my internal hard drive and two external hard drives.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I was unable to save Kobo books on Calibre. I got the message that they were DRM secure or something like that. I saved them on disc but got an error message when I tried to open them from the disc.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
You need to maintain THREE COPIES MINIMUM of ANY important file: The original, an external drive copy, and an off-site copy.

Your computer's hard drive will fail. Fact o' life. Having a bootable backup of your system on a local external drive is important. But if the house burns or a thief drops in, you need to be able to restore from an off-site copy.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm in the process of copying everything into Calbre as well. I have ebooks scattered all over my drive and on the network. I'm not much of an organizer, so once I have things set up I'll start doing some sort of backup. Autobackup to Dropbox sounds interesting.

Edit: No DropBox for Windows Mobile though

Last edited by carld; 08-10-2010 at 01:01 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Can someone tell me how you back up a DRM protected ebook? TIA
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
All my books are saved on a USB flash drive and an SD card.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... All my books are saved on a USB flash drive and an SD card ...

Where do you keep 'em? If at your desk, you're at risk.

A friend of mine makes weekly backups onto archival DVDs, and mails them to a friend. Not quite as painless as the automated systems (like Carbonite), but it works.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Can someone tell me how you back up a DRM protected ebook? TIA
Simply copy it to a storage device like any other file.

To give maximum flexibility though, it is best to remove DRM first. This ensures your purchased ebook survives the estore you purchased it from or an ereader changeover.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I've never figured out how to do it. Whenever I google it I get more confused...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My Calibre library is kept inside my Dropbox folder. It backs up automatically to a web account. You can get two gb for free and if you sign up using the link I gave, you (and I) get some extra space I would not reply on the 'cloud' of the bookstore. I had some issues recently where I had to re-download some books but since they were no longer for sale by Fictionwise where I bought them, they would not let me download then again. It took awhile to straighten out and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I like Dropbox because it is a no-brainer. Whatever is in that folder gets backed up and I don't have to think about it. When my hard drive crashed, it was very easy to get things up and running again, I just downloaded the folder, told Calibre my library was there, and it found everything.
Just used your referral link for a Dropbox account -- it's working out pretty well for me so far. Now my library will be backed up there as well as on my external hard drive. That should be plenty, I think.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
wrenn1
Addict

I have tried putting purchased DRM protected books on Calibre and on a disk and neither will allow me to open them. I get the message that they are .acsm or whatever those letters are.

It seems to me that if you can save/store them (other than on the original computer) then you can also 'share' them?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
sabredog

The .ACSM file is a "seed file" and must be opened up in ADE to download the ePUB ebook file.

You can then back that up, or read it with no issues on an ADE compliant ereader.