Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've been looking at the Nexus 7, but right now it's just too expensive. I've got a $50 gift card I can put toward a PW, which bring s the cost down to about $70, v. $200-maybe for a tablet.
Go for it! The PW is an awesome reader. I love mine and I own a K3, K4 and Kindle Fire. The PW is the best to read with IMO. The UI on the PW is something I wanted forever. It's so easy now to find the book I wanted to read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The UI hasn't actually changed, Blossom - the PW's UI is (other than the light) the same as that of the Kindle Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The UI hasn't actually changed, Blossom - the PW's UI is (other than the light) the same as that of the Kindle Touch.
I don't remember the Touch having book covers. Did they get that in a later firmware update?

When I mean I can find stuff. The PDoc Cloud is separate from the Amazon books so I can actually find my books without going through a 3000+ archive in text. I no longer need to put a bunch of books on my Kindle because I can find the books on the cloud kind of how the Kindle Fire works. I wasn't aware the KT has this ability?

Last edited by Blossom; 01-08-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh, OK, yes . I always use list view myself, so I forgot about those .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileojule View Post
the reading time function works with any book.
Almost. Time left in chapter only works if there is a valid external TOC. If you don't see chapters in the goto page, then you are limited to time left in book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Almost. Time left in chapter only works if there is a valid external TOC. If you don't see chapters in the goto page, then you are limited to time left in book.
May I know how long it takes to get an estimate from the time you start your first book?

Also, is the reading speed universal for all books? Lets say I get a time left for reading book A. Will the same reading speed be used to calculate time left for book B too?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
May I know how long it takes to get an estimate from the time you start your first book?

Also, is the reading speed universal for all books? Lets say I get a time left for reading book A. Will the same reading speed be used to calculate time left for book B too?
If I remember right, it only took maybe a chapter. But that is not staying the same - if you start reading faster or slower, it will adjust. Once it shows the time in one book, it will also show a time in next book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #23
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would not be too concerned with the size of the PW's memory. I currently have 530 books on my PW, many of them large omnibus editions, and my PW's memory is considerably less than half full. At the rate I read books, I could store something in excess of 10 years' reading on my PW, which personally I'd consider to be entirely acceptable.
I go through about 200 books a year, so probably 6 years worth on the PW I guess for me, which isn't too bad but still... Wouldn't kill them put in more storage.

I really like the idea of a PW but it doesn't seem to be quite there yet so I'm holding off and will wait and see what the next iteration has to offer I was given a Kandle clip-on light when I got my K3 and I've used it a grand total of 3 times in over 2 years!
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'm like you yolina however 200 books a year! That's a little more than 16 a month and approximately 4 a week a little more than half a book a day, I don't think I can match that even at my rate I got through 85 last year. However I do not think that my choice in book readers was influenced by the number of books in one year but more due to the characteristics of my reading environment. And in my humble opinion I do not think that an average reader contemplating a book reader should consider the number of books they read per year but the environment in which they do the reading. My initial choice for book readers, after my Kindle three's on/off switch broke down (simply could no longer turn the device on or off so I sent it off for recycling) was due to my reading environment, the Kindle Basic. I further examined my reading environment and learned that I frequently read in the dark, when I am waiting for the bus in the morning or when I climb on the bus, they frequently have only one light on in the bus with the rest of it pitch black. So I upgraded to the new paper white since the light seemed to be needed. I don't think yolina's reading environment warrants the light since I don't think that Yolina reads in the dark like I do.

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-08-2013 at 09:26 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Personally, I have decided to wait some more time after receiving one of the first paperwhites that was not as sharp as my Kindle Keyboard when the light was lit.

I understand that most users nowadays are happy with theirs, but my personal take on it is "wait a bit more until they have got their act completely together".

Best regards,
Andy

PS: Oh, and I HATED the user interface as compared to my Kindle Fire.
Especially that it would, when I used the "covers view" inform me about "other popular books from Amazon", like "50 shades of Grey" or similar crap. OUT with it.....
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Especially that it would, when I used the "covers view" inform me about "other popular books from Amazon", like "50 shades of Grey" or similar crap. OUT with it.....
That can be turned off now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Brian, can you turn it off by enabling the parental controls (that was the original suggested remedy) or is there now a separate way to turn it off?

What did I not like about the user interface?

On my Kindle Fire, when I touch the right side of the screen, it advances a page. When I touch the left side of the screen, it goes back a page. When I touch somewhere in the middle, it brings up the menu to allow me to do other things, like go to the home screen or change screen brightness.

With the paperwhite, I found that I had only a small area at the top of the screen where I could touch to bring up the menu. When I touch in the middle, it would either advance a page or go back a page (depending whether I had hit right-middle or left-middle). Drove me nuts. Of course, that might very well be my very personal problem because I had been specifically using the Kindle Fire for about a year and gotten used to it.

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Brian, can you turn it off by enabling the parental controls (that was the original suggested remedy) or is there now a separate way to turn it off?
They added a separate setting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Andy_T
Evangelist

Ah, thanks for the update! (I will still wait for some time more before getting another one :-)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I don't think yolina's reading environment warrants the light since I don't think that Yolina reads in the dark like I do.
Absolutely correct

For you, the PW does meet your needs much better than the K3 did, while I consider the PW as a "nice-to-have-but-not-essential". And given how much I read, I'll take the even screen and storage of the K3 over the current PW. The screen on the next version will have to be really good to make me want to switch to that, particularly if they keep the shrunk memory.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote