Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
broadsteel
broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
Nexus7, ipad mini, nook hd? Could use some help... : )

Hi everybody!
I have some questions, I'm about ready to buy my second ebook reading appliance.

Love reading on my ereader - have a Sony Daily Edition. I've enjoyed it very much - only thing I don't like is the gray paper background, it really annoys me, this is nowhere near the white of a real book so I never understand the praise for e-ink. That being said, I've read a ton of books on it, its over 2 years old now so I'm looking for something else. I like the look of the page on Kindle Paperwhite, would be ideal on my Sony but... I do NOT want to be restricted to buying my content from one place.

Kind of leaning toward a Nexus 7, but then I hear that for reading books, this will irritate my eyes... now, I work all day on a computer, so I wonder if I am acclimated enough to not get eyestrain... is the brightness adjustable?

Its pretty much between the N7 and Ipad mini... I figure I can maybe surf a little w/o dragging my 15" laptop upstairs and downstairs all the time, but this is primarily for my LARGE selection of epub books. So what I want to know is:

Can I put all of my epub books on these? (Nexus 7/ipad mini)
Can I read my books on the beach or in the sun easily (ie: no glare)
Can you vary the contrast/brightness and make fonts larger?

Anybody have any opinions here? I'm not necessarily against the Nook HD either, but leaning toward Nexus.... again, primarily for reading epub books, surfing secondary. Thank you in advance!!!
broadsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Can I put all of my epub books on these? (Nexus 7/ipad mini)? YES
Can I read my books on the beach or in the sun easily (ie: no glare)? No
Can you vary the contrast/brightness and make fonts larger? YES

If you use Calibre you can convert your books to a format the Paper White can use. These other devices are tablets and not e-ink so they perform differently
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
If you're keen on reading outside then eink is the way to go. If you don't like the the Kindle then how about a Kobo Glo?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
As the others have said, if you're happy with eInk, then get the Kindle - it's easy enough to use Calibre to convert non-DRMed books from ePub to Mobi format, which the Kindle reads - you can get non-Amazon books onto it, you're not locked it to a single source.

If you want a tablet though, the others are both good devices - if you've not got an investment in either infrastructure, then I'd probably go with the N7, particularly for using out and about, although there's not a lot in it.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
When it comes to choosing between the Nexus and the iPad Mini, you're not choosing the hardware so much as the ecosystem.

Decide whether you want to go Android or iOS, then pick the appropriate hardware. Both will do just about anything you need them to do (especially when it comes to reading epubs).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
bluecapsule
bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluecapsule ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader
The Kindle paper white can load DRM free ebooks, especially if you use Calibre which will auto-convert any format into a format that Kindle can read. Personally I think the iPad Mini has a nicer reading experience because of the larger 4:3 screen, but either should do nicely.

I use my iPad mini to do some light reading (mostly e-magazines), but for any extended reading session I vastly prefer to use my E-ink reader. Much more comfortable on the eyes. If you're talking about reading outside, I wouldn't try it on any tablet that isn't e-ink.
bluecapsule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsteel View Post
Kind of leaning toward a Nexus 7, but then I hear that for reading books, this will irritate my eyes... now, I work all day on a computer, so I wonder if I am acclimated enough to not get eyestrain... is the brightness adjustable?
I have a Nexus 7. Bought it because holding up my iPad1 was just too difficult for reading, and the text wasn't very sharp on the lo-resolution screen. The Nexus 7 is an excellent device, and I wouldn't want to chase you away from it.

But it is horrible for reading in moderate to bright lighting. Too much glare, which leads to massive headaches for me. Yes, the text is sharp and clear. The brightness is adjustable (to a point... it's still too bright on its lowest setting for me in a completely dark room.) But the daylight/glare issue led me to purchase a Kindle ($69 basic version) for daytime reading.

I have become convinced that the best solution is a combination. Some things require a tablet to be done well. Others require eInk. If your budget will allow it, you might find an eInk reader plus a 10" tablet to be the ideal. Archos is coming out with a line of 9.7" tablets any day now that look real tempting to me. The Nexus is too small to be a useful tablet, in my experience.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
The brightness is adjustable (to a point... it's still too bright on its lowest setting for me in a completely dark room.)
Try ScreenDim, I find it helps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Try ScreenDim, I find it helps.
Or Lux.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
broadsteel
broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.broadsteel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
I did get a Nexus 7 and LOVE IT. I still have my Sony Digital Edition if I "need" e-ink which I can hardly fathom since I HATED IT (the e-ink not the Sony). But maybe it'll get packed to the ocean w me just in case. I think I'd try the black background w white type first in the Nexus --surprisingly soothing.
broadsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I did get a Nexus 7 and LOVE IT. I still have my Sony Digital Edition if I "need" e-ink which I can hardly fathom since I HATED IT (the e-ink not the Sony). But maybe it'll get packed to the ocean w me just in case. I think I'd try the black background w white type first in the Nexus --surprisingly soothing.
Congrats on your new tablet; and an excellent choice as well
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
mointer
mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why don't you try kindle fire. Amazon is famous for e book reader. Kindle fire has better reading experience!
mointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mointer View Post
Why don't you try kindle fire. Amazon is famous for e book reader. Kindle fire has better reading experience!
In what way is the Kindle Fire reading experience (in your opinion) better?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCox View Post
If you want something that is sleek and thin go for iPad mini. It is also best if you travel a lot.
Bit late to the party he got a Nexus 7 and I think it's the right choice far higher res screen than the iPad mini so much crisper fonts.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi everybody!
I have some questions, I'm about ready to buy my second ebook reading appliance.

Love reading on my ereader - have a Sony Daily Edition. I've enjoyed it very much - only thing I don't like is the gray paper background, it really annoys me, this is nowhere near the white of a real book so I never understand the praise for e-ink. That being said, I've read a ton of books on it, its over 2 years old now so I'm looking for something else. I like the look of the page on Kindle Paperwhite, would be ideal on my Sony but... I do NOT want to be restricted to buying my content from one place.

Its pretty much between the N7 and Ipad mini... I figure I can maybe surf a little w/o dragging my 15" laptop upstairs and downstairs all the time, but this is primarily for my LARGE selection of epub books. So what I want to know is:

Can I put all of my epub books on these? (Nexus 7/ipad mini)
Can I read my books on the beach or in the sun easily (ie: no glare)
Can you vary the contrast/brightness and make fonts larger?

Anybody have any opinions here? I'm not necessarily against the Nook HD either, but leaning toward Nexus.... again, primarily for reading epub books, surfing secondary. Thank you in advance!!!
Between the two I like the Ipad mini, better size , weight. Yes many apps are available to read epubs with including Ibooks. No LCD ereader is able to read easily in sunlight, get Eink for that.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote