Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Fantasy decade reading challenge '00 -'10 recommendations welcomed

I decided that a neat challenge for 2013 would be to read through the past decade in fantasy genre. One book a year strikes me as a good idea, especially because I am a beginner in reading fantasy book (basically haven't read so much in this genre).
I tried a bit and did some research and I came up with this list.
I am still missing 2007 and 2009 (No luck there )
My criteria for publishing date refers to first publish date (not translations publish date, or ebook publish date).

With that said, I'm sure there are people on mobile read who are real fantasy connoisseurs so please help me complete my list.
I tried to go for variety, not repeating authors, as well as include some modern classics.
Hit me up with suggestions. Please suggest for all the years (not only 2007 and 2009), I am open to changing this list.
But no romance please and I like dark and complicated things better then black and white, cut and dry, cheerful stuff. I don't mind if you suggest standalone fantasy books or first book in a trilogy. But I will shy away from a longer series.

Thanks a bunch~

2000 Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

2001 American Gods by Neil Gaiman

2002 Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov

2003 The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

2004 Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

2005 Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

2006 The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

2007 The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

2008 The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

2009 Nothing yet

2010 Elves: Once Walked With Gods by James Barclay

Last edited by Geralt; 12-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added 2007 book.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Good list.. A couple of ideas:

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Series. Book 1 published in 2006. Book 2 published 2007
Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl published 2009
And there's always George R.R. Martin's The Song of Fire and Ice Series, though the first one was published in 1996 and we're still not finished(?)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you jgaiser.
I considered The Blade Itself but I didnt want to repeat authors for 2007. Although I do plan to read that series, its looks like my kinda read. Thanks for the 2009 rec. Looks interesting.
Yeah, and who knows if he'll ever finish it (man is not exactly in the prime of his youth =_=)
I'm currently on the book 3, A Storm of Swords. Lets hope he does finish it though
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Elantris isn't bad but as it's Sanderson's first published book, it isn't his best either. Unless you're already a Sanderson fan, my suggestion is to drop it and read Warbreaker (2009) instead. You can get a Warbreaker eBook from the official website for free. So that would fill a slot and open another.

Last edited by Kralik; 12-21-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
For 2007 Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind" would be a good choice. It is the start of a three book series, with the third still to come (some hope for 2013, but they aren't saying).

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Here's a fun 2007 recommendation for you:

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (Dec 2007).

Strong language and violence, but has an overall lighthearted feel IMO.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Elantris isn't bad but as it's Sanderson's first published book, it isn't his best either. Unless you're already a Sanderson fan, my suggestion is to drop it and read Warbreaker (2009) instead. You can get a Warbreaker eBook from the official website for free. So that would fill a slot and open another.
I am not a fan (I might become one though, you never know ). I chose this one since its somewhat of a classic, but I'll consider Warbreaker too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For 2007 Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind" would be a good choice. It is the start of a three book series, with the third still to come (some hope for 2013, but they aren't saying).
Amazing! Thanks. Love the synopsis. I came across this book before but I forgot to add it to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Here's a fun 2007 recommendation for you:
Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (Dec 2007).
Strong language and violence, but has an overall lighthearted feel IMO.
Been recommended this before, sadly doesn't seem like my sort of thing. Thanks for recommendations
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Geralt
Witcher

Bump.

Anymore suggestions?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
You might consider this horror, but the line is blurry between fantasy and horror: Frostbite by David Wellington was published in 2009. I really enjoyed that novel.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
2001 - Soldiers Live by Glen Cook. A noir fantasy, #9 of the Black Company but can be read stand alone.

2003 - Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner. A melodrama of manners.

2005 - Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker. A "hero" takes up arms against his enemies, #1 in the Engineer Trilogy.

2009 - The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas. A hardboiled dragon fantasy (2009 in the UK, 2010 in the US).

2010 - Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. One of my favorite authors, this one evokes eighth-century China.

EDIT: Swordspoint was originally published in 1987 and reissued in 2003. It is well worth reading in any case.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote