Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch cannot read some books, causes hanging when navigating the index

After uploading some books to my Kindle Touch, I've noticed that occasionally a book will cause the device to choke. As in, when I page through the book index, the device will hang for a few minutes when I try to swipe to a page with the offending book, and then show a bunch of blank entries. Eventually the Kindle advances to the next page but only after a considerable delay, and when it does advance, it displays all the books it can read until it gets to the offending book, which appears only as a blank entry, then all books after it also appear as blank entries. If I try going to the next page, it will have no problem displaying all the books that should be on that page.

If I page back up, it will show all the books it can, until the offending book, but in the opposite direction. So I can identify the missing book that way. But when I inspect it in Calibre, it looks fine. The metadata looks normal and fine, and I have no problem viewing the book in Calibre.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? I tried searching the forums but had no luck, I don't know the proper terminology to search for. I've uploaded a bunch of books and this is happening with several, seemingly at random.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
So I guess the problem is the books are somehow corrupt, though Calibre reads them all the way through just fine. Re-converting them from mobi to mobi does not fix them. How can I fix them? Thanks!
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open them in Kindle Previewer to check them. If they open, send one of them amazon and tell them there is a bug on the Touch.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I had the same problem. I think it is caused by long titles.

After resetting to factory conditions, I began reloading books. I shortened any long titles, and reconverted all the books to .mobi sans the pdoc tag. (Not sure if that matters to the Touch, but I thought it couldn't hurt.)

Now I can swipe through the entire library.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote