Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
WernerWinkler
WernerWinkler began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Writing in Kindle-Style/Format

Hello from Stuttgart, Germany,

I am looking for a program with which I can write my books (I am an author) in "kindle-style" from the beginning - without using Word first and then transform it into kindle-format.

Is such a program available yet?

Thanks for any answer,

Werner
WernerWinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In short... No. No "on the fly" editors yet. Mobipocket files are binary files that are "built" from a source document. The Adobe InDesign plugin allows you to create a book in a WYSIWYG environment, but you still need to build the mobi file once you are done designing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If you're usng Mobipocket Creator to create the book, you can type and edit the text using HTML.

You can do that manually, by inserting tags to indicating the markup; e.g
Code:
this is <b>bold</b>
Or you can use of the many WYSIWYG HTML editors (some of which are free).

For a typical work of fiction, there probably won't be a lot of markup, so doing it by hand shouldn't be too difficult.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
WernerWinkler

Thank you

Thank you both for your answers! So I can stop looking
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
You can consider any of these two writing software: Scrivener or Storyist. If you are writing non-fiction then Scrivener is much better. Both of them provide an option to output to Kindle mobi format using Amazon's kindlegen tool.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
WernerWinkler

Thank you, Sachinwalia,
interesting information. I will check this.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
WernerWinkler

I bought me the Scrivener program like Sachinwalia sugested - it has an option to create the .mobi-format that is used by kindle, so that I can view it on my Mac before the upload. That solves my problem - so thank you again for your tipp!

No I hope that the Index-function still works after the upload ... I create an Index by making it in Word and then exporting the text including the index to Scrivener. Nothing else worked before.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerWinkler View Post
I bought me the Scrivener program like Sachinwalia sugested - it has an option to create the .mobi-format that is used by kindle, so that I can view it on my Mac before the upload. That solves my problem - so thank you again for your tipp!

No I hope that the Index-function still works after the upload ... I create an Index by making it in Word and then exporting the text including the index to Scrivener. Nothing else worked before.
Glad you find it useful. It's an awesome program and the developer is very supportive as well.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
newbeg7
newbeg7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I don't believe so. If I am correct Amazon converts the books into the e-Book format. After looking into this a bit more I believe there actually maybe a program out there to make these after all. Here is a picture I found on google images:

Last edited by newbeg7; 05-21-2011 at 09:29 AM.
newbeg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeg7 View Post
I don't believe so. If I am correct Amazon converts the books into the e-Book format. After looking into this a bit more I believe there actually maybe a program out there to make these after all. Here is a picture I found on google images:
can't find your picture.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
typhoon5ht
typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
I converted my ebook into html and then uploaded it. Looks fine, but it might be more difficult if you have a lot of graphics.
typhoon5ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Scrivener is great. For those who work in the Windows environment, a Windows version is in beta development. There's a free download of the latest build (0.2.4) available here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/

They expect to have a release version available in July 2011 but the beta is already pretty stable.

I might add, there is a new book on Amazon called Writing a Novel with Scrivener. It gives one author's advice on how he uses the program to write novels. Scrivener works well to write short stories and non-fiction as well.

Last edited by 6charlong; 05-22-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the new book on using Scrivener
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
WernerWinkler

Next problem :)

After publishing some more eBooks successfully with the help of Scrivener, and solving the problem, how to get the pictures in the right size, I try to find a solution, how to decide by myself, how the typography looks like or how to include tabs.