Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #46
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
LS: Carrot potage? You a rabbit?

Why am I expecting the Tasmanian Devil to come whirling by with his big soup pot?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #47
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay, I still have no clear picture of what Marmite tastes like.

I"m assuming its a pasty like substance, kinda like our peanut butter, except it tastes nothing like peanut butter.

You spread it on bread.

But if it doesn't taste good, no one would eat it, right?

I just did a search on Amazon....I can get a jar, but I"m wondering why, on the same page, a book entitled

"Whats your Poo Telling You"?

is also listed? I kid you not.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...armite&x=0&y=0
It's a bit runnier than peanut butter.

Maybe I should clarfiy. Marmite is a bit runnier than peanut butter

As LazyScott said, it really is a love or hate thing.

It's a bit like a less sweet version of vegemite, but that will undoubtedly only help any Australians in the Llounge.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #48
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Unless, of course, you're in Geneva where it seems to be some sort of chocolate pot used to celebrate defeating the French with the aid of some Soup. Or so I've been told.
Have a look at Geneva's Escalade. Its a celebration of when invading French troops were defeated, by a woman who spotted them and threw hot vegtable soup all over them from her marmite, her cooking pot. The celebration now has these made of chocolate (sometimes filled with marzipan sweets in place of the vegetables).

Incidentally, the name marmite comes from the pot it was originally sold in (and the shape of which is mirrored in the pots it is still sold in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It tastes nothing like peanut butter.

Umm.... taste. Have you ever drunk Guinness? Imagine that reduced down to a paste, with salt added and the alcohol removed, and it probably tastes nothing like it. But it's the closest I can think of! It's yeasty and salty and savoury, and, umm... I'm in the "love it" camp!
I'd say that's a pretty good description. Wikipedia describes it about the same. Salty and Savoury would be my first attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
note to self : probably best to avoid lazy scot's carrot potage.
We are going to have to start considering a thread entitled "Memo to self" to collect all this accumulated wisdom on surviving the universe.

A little warning, I also use it in Mushroom Stroganoff (not that I've made that for ages).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
LS: Carrot potage? You a rabbit?
No. Carrot soup = cheap, tasty, nutrious meal = more money for (e)books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Why am I expecting the Tasmanian Devil to come whirling by with his big soup pot?
Have you got Marc and my good self mixed up. I don't do whirling. Or anything quickly for that matter. It takes me ages to make rissotto.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #49
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
It's a bit runnier than peanut butter.

Maybe I should clarfiy. Marmite is a bit runnier than peanut butter

As LazyScott said, it really is a love or hate thing.

It's a bit like a less sweet version of vegemite, but that will undoubtedly only help any Australians in the Llounge.
Do not look up vegemite on amazon.com.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Have a look at Geneva's Escalade. Its a celebration of when invading French troops were defeated, by a woman who spotted them and threw hot vegtable soup all over them from her marmite, her cooking pot. The celebration now has these made of chocolate (sometimes filled with marzipan sweets in place of the vegetables).
how on EARTH did i not know about this hilarious celebration ?? thanks for the cultchah.

Quote:
Incidentally, the name marmite comes from the pot it was originally sold in (and the shape of which is mirrored in the pots it is still sold in).
yep, it does look sort of like a marmite. if marmites were made out of glass.

Quote:
We are going to have to start considering a thread entitled "Memo to self" to collect all this accumulated wisdom on surviving the universe.
that would be bookmark number one. just think, all that wisdom collected in one place ! then again, it might be dangerous. what if it fell into the wrong hands ?
Quote:
A little warning, I also use it in Mushroom Stroganoff (not that I've made that for ages).
note to self... well, you heard him.
Quote:
No. Carrot soup = cheap, tasty, nutrious meal = more money for (e)books.
yep. soup=good. i love soup.

Quote:
Have you got Marc and my good self mixed up. I don't do whirling. Or anything quickly for that matter. It takes me ages to make rissotto.
oh my, i remember your risotto. is it warm in here, or is it just me ?? (fanning self with hand)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #51
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It takes me ages to make rissotto.
Minor rant. I hate ordering risotto in a restaurant and it comes out 5 minutes after I've ordered. There is no way it's been properly done... Grumblemutterkidstodayetcandso-on
Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #52
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
What is wrong with you people???

Why is it that every thread here ends up talking about food???

I'd hate to be in an airplane crash over the Andes with any of you:

"Can we hike out of here?"

"Maybe...Um, your leg would taste nice smeared with marmite and sprinkled with popcorn."

RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post

"Maybe...Um, your leg would taste nice smeared with marmite and sprinkled with popcorn."

Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #54
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Only if it has REAL butter......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #55
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:

Scene: Plane crash in Andes. Amongst the survivors are a group of somewhat silly liseuse users.

"I've a book on making snow shelters on mine somewhere."

"And I've a survival guide...."

"There's a how to convert your kindle to a radio beacon..."

"And this is a guide to safe fungi to eat...."

Voice over: "<insert liseuse name> because you never know when a book will save your life."

(Whadya mean, this is the wrong thread.....?)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Scene: Plane crash in Andes. Amongst the survivors are a group of somewhat silly liseuse users.

"I've a book on making snow shelters on mine somewhere."

"And I've a survival guide...."

"There's a how to convert your kindle to a radio beacon..."

"And this is a guide to safe fungi to eat...."

Voice over: "<insert liseuse name> because you never know when a book will save your life."

(Whadya mean, this is the wrong thread.....?)
best one yet !! (well... among the best. it's kind of hard to choose actually.)
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #57
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:

oooh, marmite flavoured popcorn - that'd be nice!

And also
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #58
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I don't know. I go away from an extremely exciting flame war for a few hours. I come back to find that not only has the flame war gained an audience, but the audience are eating each other. With Marmite!

(Personally, I hate Marmite on toast, but it's my "secret ingredient" for vegetarian stews, soups & pies. Think of it as British soy sauce.)
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #59
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
oooh, marmite flavoured popcorn - that'd be nice!
I actually saw Marmite-flavoured rice cakes on sale the other day.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #60
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I actually saw Marmite-flavoured rice cakes on sale the other day.
*memo to self: must look out for them*