Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
pmiles
pmiles began at the beginning.

Device: none
WSJ recipe -- subscription is not fully recognized

I've been using The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) recipe (subscription version -- wsj.recipe) for a long time without a hitch. Since January 16th the recipe has been generating output files with a few full-length articles and a bunch of truncated ones with subscription warnings. My WSJ subscription is valid as I can read any articles online at wsj.com. I haven't done any changes to Calibre or the recipe recently. I tried to update the recipe, but there are no new versions available.

Attached are today's .mobi output and verbose log (too long to place here). I've removed my username and password from the log.

It seems to me that WSJ has changed how it treats simultaneous downloads. Calibre downloads 5 articles at once. Perhaps, that causes the problem. Otherwise, I cannot identify any other problems. I'd appreciate your help with this.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Wall Street Journal.mobi (2.79 MB, 232 views)
File Type: txt wsjlog.txt (819.3 KB, 349 views)
pmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
rdell
rdell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Nook HD+
I am having this same issue, although it appears every 8th article ... one is fine, then 7 that are "screwy" with login prompts and such, then the 8th one is fine again.

Is this indeed an issue with multiple downloads, and if so, how might I throttle back to one downloaded article at a time ? I don't mind it taking longer.
rdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Add

delay = 1

to the recipe to add a one second delay between every download request.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
rdell

Thanks! I'll let you know if that works, and if not I'll have time to dig deeper next week.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
rdell

That delay setting did not significantly change the behavior, BUT by the time I finished my travels and had time to dig deeper, it was working fine again!
I hate such ghost problems.

Thanks again for the help.
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I updated the wsj recipe a few weeks back to deal with various website changes at wsj.com, that is probably why it is working again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, recipe, subscription, wall street journal, wsj