Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #31
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The source for the plugin is here. Take a look at the developer notes for information about how to add support for another device. You can use the existing supported formats to see how highlights are extracted from the sqlite DBs.

Highlights are added to a custom column assigned by the user.

Calibre does not merge annotations into the book when converting from one format to another.

G
Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Ok, thank you very much - I will have a look at it.
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I started having a look at this again to add support for the Kobo devices. I found some problems.

Firstly, if you change the column used to store the the annotations, you are prompted that the existing annotations will be moved. The choices are "Yes do it", or "No don't change the column". I think there should be a "Change the column but don't move the current annotations".

Then, when I clicked "Yes", I had the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.13.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'Struct' object has no attribute 'log_location'

calibre 1.13  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.config", line 292, in annotations_destination_changed
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.common_utils", line 889, in move_annotations
AttributeError: 'Struct' object has no attribute 'log_location'
The last thing is that I use several libraries. In my test library, I added a column called "Annotations" and selected it. Later, while using another library which doesn't have that column, I opened the Annotations configuration. And had the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.13.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Python 2.7.5
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.config", line 273, in annotations_destination_changed
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.common_utils", line 737, in existing_annotations
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
After that, the configuration dialog is shown with no fields and calibre crashes. Windows shows the "calibre.exe has stopped working" error with the usual check online or close options.

The problem here is that custom columns are library specific. This option should be in the library specific preferences rather than the calibre preferences.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #34
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I started having a look at this again to add support for the Kobo devices. I found some problems.

Firstly, if you change the column used to store the the annotations, you are prompted that the existing annotations will be moved. The choices are "Yes do it", or "No don't change the column". I think there should be a "Change the column but don't move the current annotations".

Spoiler:
Then, when I clicked "Yes", I had the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.13.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'Struct' object has no attribute 'log_location'

Python 2.7.5
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.config", line 292, in annotations_destination_changed
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.common_utils", line 889, in move_annotations
AttributeError: 'Struct' object has no attribute 'log_location'
The last thing is that I use several libraries. In my test library, I added a column called "Annotations" and selected it. Later, while using another library which doesn't have that column, I opened the Annotations configuration. And had the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.13.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Python 2.7.5
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.config", line 273, in annotations_destination_changed
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.common_utils", line 737, in existing_annotations
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
After that, the configuration dialog is shown with no fields and calibre crashes. Windows shows the "calibre.exe has stopped working" error with the usual check online or close options.

The problem here is that custom columns are library specific. This option should be in the library specific preferences rather than the calibre preferences.
I'll take a look at what will be involved in switching among multiple libraries with different custom column assignments. That's definitely something that's needed. I'll fix the other crashes you reported at the same time.

G
Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In first post there is no table after opening paragraph, and some of the spoilers have lost whatever is intended to be behind them.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

The Annotations plugin imports annotations from supported ebook readers and applications described in the following table:

Main Features of v1.2.0:
  • Imports annotations from supported eBook reader applications.
  • Annotations may be added to Comments or a custom column.
  • Annotation appearance is fully configurable via CSS.
  • Collect News clippings from periodicals downloaded by Calibre (Kindle, Marvin).
  • Extensible architecture allows adding support for other eBook reader applications.
  • Enables fetching annotations directly from a connected iDevice without additional 3rd party software.
  • Adds improved support for international Kindle timestamps contributed by @-axel-.

Installation Steps:
  • Open Preferences|Plugins|Get new plugins to install the 'Annotations' plugin. Or, download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.

Plugin configuration:
  • By default, imported annotations will be added to calibre's Comments column.
  • If you'd prefer to add imported annotations to a custom column (recommended), open the Customize Annotations dialog by selecting Customize plugin… from the plugin's context menu. Use the custom column wizard in the Annotation options section to create a custom column.
  • If you choose to use a pre-existing custom column to receive annotations, click on the Annotations plugin icon to open the Configuration dialog, then select the custom column in the Annotation options dropdown list.
  • See Help in the plugin menu for additional information.

Typical Marvin workflow:
As of Marvin 2.0, Marvin users can use the Marvin XD plugin to transfer annotations from Marvin to calibre. The Annotations plugin still supports Marvin, but for most users Marvin XD will be the preferred approach.
  • Calibre: Transfer books from calibre to Marvin, either via iTunes, email, OPDS or Marvin's web browser.
  • Marvin: Create some highlights/notes.
    Spoiler:
  • Marvin: Export the annotations (see Marvin export options below).
    Spoiler:
  • Calibre: Open the Annotations plugin context menu, select Import annotations from…Marvin
  • Drag the exported file to the plugin window, then click OK to import the annotations.
  • Select a book, click Preview to preview the annotations to be added to calibre.
    Spoiler:
  • Click Import Annotations to add the imported annotations to the selected book in calibre's database.
  • Open calibre's Metadata editor to view the imported annotations.
    Spoiler:

Typical Kindle workflow:
The Kindle UI must be set to English for the plugin to be able to retrieve locations and timestamps from your 'My Clippings.txt' file.
  • Calibre: Transfer books from calibre to Kindle, either via email, Kindle's experimental web browser, or while directly connected to calibre.
  • Kindle: Create some highlights/notes.
  • Calibre: Open the Annotations plugin context menu, select Fetch annotations from Amazon Kindle.

Typical GoodReader workflow:
  • Computer: Transfer books from calibre to GoodReader via iTunes. See this GoodReader explanation of how to transfer books from your computer to GoodReader via USB.
  • GoodReader: Create some highlights/notes.
  • GoodReader: While reading a book, tap the center of the screen so that the overlay controls are shown. Tap the Share icon (bottom right). Tap E-mail Summary, then email the annotations to yourself.
  • Computer: After receiving the emailed annotations summary, select and copy the contents of the annotations summary email.
  • Calibre: Select the book in your calibre library to receive the imported GoodReader annotations.
  • Calibre: Open the Annotations plugin context menu, select Import annotations from…GoodReader, then paste the annotations summary into the dialog window.

Modifying the appearance of imported annotations:
  • Click the Annotations plugin icon, or select Customize plugin from the context menu.
  • Click Modify appearance…
    Spoiler:
  • The Preview window shows a live preview of the formatting options.
  • Edit the CSS in the Annotation elements window
  • To move an element up or down, click the name of the element (Text, Note or Timestamp), then click the up or down arrow to move that element.
  • To restore an element's CSS to its last saved values, select the element, then click the restore button.
  • To reset an element's CSS to default values, select the element, then click the recycle button.
  • To change the format of the timestamp, edit the Timestamp format. Click the Help icon to see formatting values for the timestamp. Click the recycle button to reset the timestamp to its default value.

How the plugin decides where to add imported annotations
Spoiler:
When the plugin imports annotations, it calculates a confidence index for the book receiving the annotations based upon three metadata items: Title, Author, and the calibre uuid. If all three are matched with a book in your calibre library, the annotations are added without any user intervention. With a partial metadata match, the plugin guesses which book should receive the annotations and asks for user confirmation. With no metadata matching, the user is offered the option to add the annotations to the currently selected book in the library.

Marvin export options:
Spoiler:
To export annotations from a single book:

From within an open book:
  • Tap Table of Contents (book icon at top left)
  • Tap Share (arrow icon at top right)
  • Tap Export Annotations, then email the annotations file to yourself
From the Library screen:
  • Slide the book to the left, then tap Share
  • Tap Export Annotations, then email the annotations file to yourself
After receiving the emailed annotations file:
  • Open the context menu for the Annotations plugin
  • Select Import annotations from…Marvin
  • Drag the exported annotations file to the Import Marvin annotations window
  • Click OK
To export all annotations:
  • In Marvin's Home screen tap Settings (gear icon at top left)
  • Choose the Services tab, then swipe left to the Calibre icon
Via Email:
  • Tap the Export File button, then choose Email
  • Email the annotations to yourself
  • Drag the exported annotations file to the Import Marvin annotations window
  • Click OK
Via iTunes:
  • Tap the Export File button, then choose Documents directory
  • In iTunes, select your connected iDevice in the DEVICES menu
  • Click the Apps tab
  • Scroll down to File Sharing, then select Marvin in the Apps list
  • Drag library.mrvi from Marvin Documents to your desktop
  • Drag library.mrvi from your desktop to the Import Marvin annotations window
  • Click OK

Special Notes:
  • Requires calibre 1.0.0 or later.

Developer Notes:
The Annotations plugin can be extended to support devices whose annotations can be fetched while connected via USB, or exported via email. If you are a developer interested in adding support for a particular device or reader app meeting these requirements, contact me for more information.

Paypal Donations:

If you find my contributions to calibre useful, say thanks with PayPal!

Version History:
Spoiler:

v1.2.0 - 13 September 2013
• Removed dependency on iExplorer for iOS reader applications.
•*Added custom column wizard
• Various bug fixes
•*Added improved international support for Kindle 'My Clippings.txt' contributed by MobileRead member -axel-.
v1.1.2 - 18 April 2013
• Handle non-English locations in Kindle 'My Clippings.txt'
v1.1.1 - 18 April 2013
• Handle non-English timestamps in Kindle 'My Clippings.txt'
v1.1.0 - 15 March 2013
• Add News clipping feature
• Add support for GoodReader
• Add support for hardware Kindle
v1.0.1 - 11 March2013
• Fixed rare crash condition after opening Preview dialog.
v1.0.0 - 11 March 2013
• Initial release for Linux, OS X and Windows.
• Support for Marvin, an iOS reader application.

BR
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
GRiker

@BetterRed, are you logged in to MR? I believe the images are only visible when you are logged in.

G
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@BetterRed, are you logged in to MR? I believe the images are only visible when you are logged in.

G
@GRiker I don't think I could post if I wasn't logged in

I thought something in firefox might 'blocking' them so I tried it in safe mode, I also tried vanilla Chrome and IE10, same story

Maybe I don't have enough Karma to be allowed to see the images

If they are images I assume they're stored on an image host, maybe my firewall is blocking the site (although nothing I have in there leaps out at me) or maybe my ISP or some government security agency is looking over my shoulder - nothing would surprise me...

Where are the images stored ?

I'll do a test at imgbox.com

I can see that when I'm logged on - I'll log off and report back - hang on

Update : and I can see it when I'm logged off

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #38
GRiker

All of the images are stored at MR.

G
Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
GRiker

Try refreshing, I reset the permissions on the album they're stored in.

G
Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
All of the images are stored at MR.

G
Hmmmm, I never tried putting an image I uploaded to MR in-line before - here goes

I can see that

Now lets put it in a spoiler

Spoiler:

I can also see that

So how come I can't see yours - bizarre, I'm not inclined to pursue any further unless you want me to

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Try refreshing, I reset the permissions on the album they're stored in.

G
That fixed it

Damn I was looking forward to having another rant at the NSA, ASIO, DSD, GCHQ, MAD etc.

BR
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll take a look at what will be involved in switching among multiple libraries with different custom column assignments. That's definitely something that's needed. I'll fix the other crashes you reported at the same time.
I didn't think of it until later, but the database used for annotations will also need to be changed to handled multiple libraries. The book_id is not unique across libraries.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Adding the Kobo ereaders

I have this working, but, I am seeing some things I don't understand and have hit a problem.

Firstly, if I have no books selected and try to run the import, I get the "Select a book to receive annotations" prompt. Reading that, it says that a selected book is needed in case the annotations can't be matched to a book. That sounds OK if only one book can't be matched, but what if more than one can't be matched? Do all the annotations for these books get put into the one selected book?

The next issue is the book matching. I happened to have three short stories with the same title but different authors. All were on the device and only one had annotations. The "Import Annotations" shows the book with the title and author. When I click the import button, it comes back showing a match only on the title and picked the wrong book. The book definitely has the correct author. And selecting the correct book doesn't help. I haven't looked at the code enough to see what is going wrong, but...

Why aren't you using the book id? Calibre and the driver for the device have already matched the book in the library to that on the device. I have This gives an exact mapping to get the annotations to the correct book. Or is there something I missed in the interface that would force this?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #44
GRiker

@davidfor, I am working on adding multi-library support for the plugin. Once I've got that working I'll address your other questions. In the meantime, I've created two issues at the plugin's GutHub tracker, one for multi-library support, one for changing the dialog box options when changing the destination field. Please subscribe to those issues, as I will post a link to a provisional build with the improvements you requested as soon as they are available.

G
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@GRiker, I have tried the test version with no luck on the configuration. I've posted the results to the bug.

And while I think of it, I think part of the matching problem is unicode. I just need to work out where I added a conversion or missed one.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Closed Thread