Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congress Concerned about Privacy: Silk Browser

Congress Targets Amazon's Silk Browser

By John P. Mello Jr., PCWorld Oct 15, 2011 10:36 AM

Amazon's innovative Silk web browser hasn't left the cocoon yet, but it's already being questioned by members of Congress concerned about online privacy.

Texas Republican Joe Barton expressed outrage about the browser at a public hearing this week, while Massachusetts Democrat Ed Markey pressed Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos for some answers about what his company will do with the data collected from Silk users.
Joe Barton (R-Texas)

"Every week...we hear some additional outrage about the abuse of the Internet," declared Barton at a hearing Thursday on consumer attitudes toward privacy before the U.S. House subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade.

"My staff yesterday told me that one of our leading Internet companies, Amazon, is going to create their own server and their own system and they're going to force everybody that uses Amazon to go through their server and they're going to collect all this information on each person who does that without that person's knowledge," he said.. "Enough is enough."
More:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24198...k_browser.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Wait, isn't this what Opera mini does already? Were the congressmen living under a rock all these years?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon is a behemoth.... Opera mini was below the radar.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Hmmm! I wonder if the Congressmen read my blog article of October 5, titled Privacy in the World of Silk? The least they could do is give me credit .

I suspect, howyoudoin, that the reason why they are concerned with Amazon but not with Opera mini is that Opera mini barely registers on the U.S. browser scene, but anything Amazon does puts its tentacles out widely in the U.S. and affects a lot of people. Additionally, Opera, if it were gathering and selling the data, would sell it to every interested party because it has no retail interest, but Amazon will not sell the data but will use it to gain a competitive advantage over other retailers, perhaps an unfair advantage.

Additionally, I suspect as Amazon continues to enter new retailing and publishing venues, the worry about monopolization rears its head.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's an option to use the Silk browser in a "direct" mode, should one not wish to get the benefits of server-side rendering. Really, this is all nonsense from a bunch of people who haven't a clue what they're talking about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's an option to use the Silk browser in a "direct" mode, should one not wish to get the benefits of server-side rendering. Really, this is all nonsense from a bunch of people who haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Yeah, but our government is here to protect us from ourselves.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Hmmm! I wonder if the Congressmen read my blog article of October 5, titled Privacy in the World of Silk? The least they could do is give me credit .

I suspect, howyoudoin, that the reason why they are concerned with Amazon but not with Opera mini is that Opera mini barely registers on the U.S. browser scene, but anything Amazon does puts its tentacles out widely in the U.S. and affects a lot of people. Additionally, Opera, if it were gathering and selling the data, would sell it to every interested party because it has no retail interest, but Amazon will not sell the data but will use it to gain a competitive advantage over other retailers, perhaps an unfair advantage.

Additionally, I suspect as Amazon continues to enter new retailing and publishing venues, the worry about monopolization rears its head.
Ah, k. That makes sense.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
How is this different than AOL?
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
kennyc

What do you mean? wrt AOL?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
"My staff yesterday told me that one of our leading Internet companies, Amazon, is going to create their own server and their own system and they're going to force everybody that uses Amazon to go through their server and they're going to collect all this information on each person who does that without that person's knowledge," he said.. "Enough is enough."
Typical election year rhetoric from a dumba$$ USA politician who couldn't find himself in the dark if his life depended on it. I can throw a rock and hit his political office from where I live, so I know this guy's politics and he really isn't very smart. He got so much wrong in that paragraph.

My staff yesterday told me that one of our leading Internet companies, Amazon, is going to create their own server and their own system and they're going to force everybody that uses Amazon to go through their server... Incorrect: Applies only to KFire owners and they can opt out.

...they're going to collect all this information on each person who does that without that person's knowledge... Incorrect and paranoid: Amazon is up front about the server and this argument that Amazon secretly gathers all our Kindle data (from K1 through current models) and uses it for evil is stupid and getting rather old.

Enough is enough. True! I wish my fellow Texans would finally vote this worthless politician into unemployment.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Jhary
Enthusiast
Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jhary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Amazon is a behemoth.... Opera mini was below the radar.
I Thought it coud be because Amazon is a No Software Company.

But what is with Google and Facebook?

Last edited by Jhary; 10-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Jhary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhary View Post
I Thought i coud be because Amazon is a Not American Company and Opera is US.
What do you mean? Amazon is an American company.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Barton is from Texas, and Texas is struggling with the downfall in the economy. The Republicans have dominated politics here for at least two decades and our economy is suffering in a huge way. They would love nothing more than to sink their grubby little claws into Amazon's empire and start charging state sales on every item Amazon sells in Texas. They can only collect state sales tax on items sold by companies with a brick and mortar presence within the state, so items sold and shipped directly through Amazon are exempt from tax. For books, as an example, some publishers are located in Texas so we pay tax on their books, while others have no presence here and thus we don't pay tax. It is a huge amount of revenue for the state which is at stake. I think this is just Barton's way of trying to make Amazon seem like an evil empire in a lame attempt to turn public opinion against them. We the public are not that stupid and will fight any state sales tax on items sold by Amazon with NO connection to companies that have a presence in Texas.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-17-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
They can only collect state sales tax on items sold by companies with a brick and mortar presence within the state, so items sold and shipped directly through Amazon are exempt from tax. For books, as an example, some publishers are located in Texas so we pay tax on their books, while others have no presence here and thus we don't pay tax. It is a huge amount of revenue for the state which is at stake. I think this is just Barton's way of trying to make Amazon seem like an evil empire in a lame attempt to turn public opinion against them. We the public are not that stupid and will fight any state sales tax on items sold by Amazon with NO connection to companies that have a presence in Texas.
Surely you are liable for the tax anyway, but are choosing to evade it?
The question is not whether the tax is payable, but who should collect it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote