Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
katzmj
katzmj began at the beginning.

Device: Alex, Pocket Edge
Mini-USB Port on PE not working

My first post to Mobileread. I just received my PE from Woot today and I love it already.

My only issue so far seems to be the mini-USB port on the PE. I tested using the cable provided, by plugging the mini-USB end into the PE and the normal USB end into my USB-hub on my laptop. My computer popped-up something - which I regret not paying attention to and then nothing. It seems like the device was recognized and then rejected. I unplugged both ends of the cable and tried again - nothing.

I tried another cable (the one I use for my Alex) and it too was not recognized on the PE. I also tried using the PE cable with my Alex and it works fine. So I'm led to believe something is wrong with the PE mini-USB port, unless there is some incompatibility with my laptop.
If I plug a thumb drive into the normal USB port on the PE, it is recognized and I can mount and unmount.

Is there anything I can do to confirm that the mini-USB port is bad? If so, what are my options, if anything.

Thanks very much.
katzmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
when you plug in the usb cable you should drag down the top notification bar then tap on the thing that says something about usb storage(or something similar), then tap enable usb somethingorother(lol this is all from memory so I don't know the exact names)... If you've already tried this, sorry, you didn't mention it. I'll try to think of other probable causes...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
katzmj

Sorry - I did try that - when i slide down the Notification bar - I see - (No service) - No notifications. Thanks for the suggestion. I assume I can copy books to the PE by using a thumb drive - if I can't get the mini-USB port to work. Haven't tried that yet.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
katzmj

I tried using our desktop. The mini-USB port works fine and I can see the 'Edge' as a drive.

So the issue is either the USB hub connected to my laptop, or because my laptop is plugged into a docking station or something on the laptop itself. I even tried to directly connect to a USB on the laptop, but still no go.

The strange thing is that my Alex works fine using it's mini-USB port with this laptop.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmj View Post
I tried using our desktop. The mini-USB port works fine and I can see the 'Edge' as a drive.

So the issue is either the USB hub connected to my laptop, or because my laptop is plugged into a docking station or something on the laptop itself. I even tried to directly connect to a USB on the laptop, but still no go.

The strange thing is that my Alex works fine using it's mini-USB port with this laptop.
sometimes USB hubs can cause problems with USB devices connected to them, so I would guess its probably that... Your laptop may also have an internal one that is messing things up...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert