Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
More specifically, netbooks & e-readers in 2009; tablets and laptops in 2010.
Really? You've seen announcements of actual products?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I suspect the black flash looks worse in videos than in real life. Probably the videos have some kind of auto-brightness (whatever you call it) setting, that makes the whole image go lighter/darker when the screen flashes black. I was a bit worried too when I saw the first videos, but I'm not disturbed at all by the flash in real life.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There are some disadvantages to it compared with eInk as well. Lower contrast and higher power drain. IMO, PixelQi is a step forward for notebook/laptop screens, it's not really a direct competitor to eInk.
H'm... I'm sure you are right, though I had the impression that PixelQi is intending to compete with eInk. What is their target market then, just lower-powered LCD's for netbooks?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
H'm... I'm sure you are right, though I had the impression that PixelQi is intending to compete with eInk. What is their target market then, just lower-powered LCD's for netbooks?
That's probably a big part of it.

Or for reading and writing tablet devices if it can be combined with a touch/stylus screen. As well as having a refresh rate that can handle video, games, internet etc. while still having decent battery life. That's the device I want for work as I've said many times. Time will tell if the PixelQi screen moves those devices forward or not.

I'm willing to give up some contrast and battery life. Hell, my Kindle gets used 30-60 minutes 4 or 5 evenings a week, so it's not like I really need the benefits of e-ink even in my leisure reader.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
What is their target market then, just lower-powered LCD's for netbooks?
Yes. It's a replacement for current LCD screen technology.
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
That would be the DR 1000s, and it has been out for a while now.
The screen of the DR1000 is approximately A5 sized. The original poster is, I believe, requesting an A4 screen, but that would be a big device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
You evidently don't know what I mean It's a gamer's joke, admitedly.
I thought it was: When it's done.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
There are some disadvantages to it compared with eInk as well. Lower contrast and higher power drain.

IMO, PixelQi is a step forward for notebook/laptop screens, it's not really a direct competitor to eInk.
It actually boasts higher contrast (12:1) than e-ink (8:1).

You're right that one disadvantage is higher power drain, but not significantly higher. Like an e-ink screen, the PixelQi screen in epaper mode can display an image using no power at all. Since the backlight is the main power drain on non-eink devices, eliminating the backlight is expected to increase battery life by 5-fold.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen of the DR1000 is approximately A5 sized. The original poster is, I believe, requesting an A4 screen, but that would be a big device.
I rather have them improve on pixel density. For e-ink, higher resolution means a larger screen. E-ink's current 1024x768 film is at about 8 inches. Auo announced a 1024x768 film, based on e-ink alternative sipix, that needs 9 inches.

Having owned dot matrix, inkjet, and laser printers, it seems like e-paper is at the dot matrix phase.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The original poster is, I believe, requesting an A4 screen, but that would be a big device.
The key is the tech improving so it can be thin, light and not have a lot of added plastic border around the screen.

Basically like a digital legal paid you could easily hold to read and write on etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
Damętas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Really? You've seen announcements of actual products?

From Pixel Qi's website:

"The screens will be available for mini-laptops and ebook readers in high volume mass production in late-2009. Our mainstream laptop screens will be available thereafter ..."

"We will have screens for netbooks in laptops in 2009, and other devices in 2010."

http://www.pixelqi.com/faq

Their keeping mum on which vendors and products (maybe even the rumored Apple tablet?): "Sorry not to be able to reveal more, but our customers: the netbook, ebook and tablet makers really need to announce their products on their schedules."

http://www.pixelqi.com/blog1/

Another advantage over e-ink (besides speed, color, no flash between page turns) is that the screens are significantly less expensive to produce.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #27
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
It actually boasts higher contrast (12:1) than e-ink (8:1).
Not in pure reflective mode. Pixel Qi even admits that their contrast is poorer than the Kindle in reflective (aka epaper) mode. Side by side comparisons make it obvious.

Quote:
Like an e-ink screen, the PixelQi screen in epaper mode can display an image using no power at all.
That is false. The PixelQi still draws power in reflective mode. The backlight is off, but the screen is not capable of maintaining an image on it's own.

Where are you getting your data from?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I thought it was: When it's done.
More... Soon > Soon (TM) > Some Time In The Future
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
Damętas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not in pure reflective mode. Pixel Qi even admits that their contrast is poorer than the Kindle in reflective (aka epaper) mode. Side by side comparisons make it obvious.

That is false. The PixelQi still draws power in reflective mode. The backlight is off, but the screen is not capable of maintaining an image on it's own.

Where are you getting your data from?
Hmm. Where are you getting your information re: Pixel Qi saying poorer contrast? My info is based on what Mary Lou said in San Antonio. I don't think that part is that revolutionary. After all, the older monocrome non-eink LCD display that the jetBook uses has better contrast than e-ink. See:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Reflective_LCD

Since there are also already LCD screens that retain their image even when the power is off, I have no reason to doubt Pixel Qi on that either.

Edit: It seems others picked up on this feature as well: "Pixel Qi have finally demonstrated their clever 3Qi screen, which mixes together indoor and outdoor readability together with an e-paper mode. The same panel is used in both halves of this picture: on the left, it’s set to full color saturation with its backlight on, while on the right the backlight is off and the panel is in e-paper mode. The latter will be incredibly power-frugal, as e-paper only draws power when changing the display, not to maintain an image."

http://www.slashgear.com/tags/pixel-qi/

Last edited by Damętas; 10-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
For the purpose of reading I have no complaint about the page flash. Everyone notices it at first but it fades into the subconscious, just as flipping the page on a physical book does (and often takes longer than an e-ink page flash).

Would I like it if it was faster? Sure. Does it somehow limit the adoption of e-readers? Don't think so. I think the gating factor there is price, price, price.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote