Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #46
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
You can try looking here: http://repository.handhelds.org/hast...ol/universe/r/.

One of the remote desktop apps is located in this repository. I'm still researching which I will use for my post about remoting. Check my comic book thread for instructions on installing .deb packages to your Q7.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #47
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
You can try looking here: http://repository.handhelds.org/hast...ol/universe/r/.

One of the remote desktop apps is located in this repository. I'm still researching which I will use for my post about remoting. Check my comic book thread for instructions on installing .deb packages to your Q7.
Had a look at the site and it looks complicated I'll wait patiently for your review.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #48
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Thanks for the link to the repository ColdSun -- this is exactly what I was looking for. I noticed FireFox 3 is listed there -- has anyone tried it yet? I just ordered my Q7, so I should have it in a week or so.
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
If you don't mind me asking, wermy, where did you order yours from? I think I have procrastinated just about long enough! Now, just gotta figure out where I can get it from in the shortest amount of time.

Generation of Instant Gratification or Tech A.D.D., I don't know. But, now that I've made up my mind it wont get here fast enough!
(Why do I think there's a signature in there, somewhere?)
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #50
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, wermy, where did you order yours from? I think I have procrastinated just about long enough! Now, just gotta figure out where I can get it from in the shortest amount of time.

Generation of Instant Gratification or Tech A.D.D., I don't know. But, now that I've made up my mind it wont get here fast enough!
(Why do I think there's a signature in there, somewhere?)
Heh, I completely understand -- I'm the same way. I've worn down several poor F5 keys on the shipment tracking page for many gadgets. I bought mine from www.mp4nation.net. They have some for sale on ebay for $225 USD with free shipping -- but they are having a small sale on them directly from their site -- $215 with free shipping. I've never heard of them, but they had good ebay feedback so I'm not too worried. I'll keep you posted on how it goes and how long it takes to get here (I live in the midwest US).
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
JSWolf, please explain how your last post contributed to this thread? I mean, your only contribution to this thread is to ask a question that was clearly answered in the review. It seems to me that this is just your response to the attention a non-eInk device is getting on this site.
Any frontpage post of that size with that many photos is going to be awful no matter what the device in review is. It has nothing to do with eink vs. LCD. It just has to do with what looks good for the site and that doesn't look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #52
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Well, its fixed so please quit bellyaching about it and let us get back to the topic at hand.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can the Q7's screen be viewed in full sunlight?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, its fixed so please quit bellyaching about it and let us get back to the topic at hand.
It's not fixed.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I'm not going to remove the images completely. Most of the people here happen to like it. If it was so horrible for people it wouldn't have over 4,600 views now would it? People are reading it and finding some value - please quit disrupting the thread with this.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #56
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Too Long For Home Page

Mobileread, I suggest that huge articles like this be provided as a separate page rather than loaded onto the home page, photos and all. You can always provide a summary story and a link on the home page, but in my opinion something this large shouldn't be a "front page article." :-)
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #57
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
Mobileread, I suggest that huge articles like this be provided as a separate page rather than loaded onto the home page, photos and all. You can always provide a summary story and a link on the home page, but in my opinion something this large shouldn't be a "front page article." :-)
Yes. We already figured out that I made a mistake. It's a little late to fix it, but we'll try to avoid it in the future.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #58
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks. Article was great though!
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. We already figured out that I made a mistake. It's a little late to fix it, but we'll try to avoid it in the future.
Actually, it's not too late to fix it. Just remove the post as a frontpage post, create a new thread with just a short summary linking to this thread and then make that a new frontpage post. Close that thread from further posting since it has the link to this thread and you are good to go. It is not hard to do at all and can be done now.

And if you have to, remove all the other frontpage posts that came after this one and once this one is sorted, put those back.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #60
talking_walnut
talking_walnut began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the review! Was all set to wait for pixelQi screen devices to appear before considering buying but this seems tempting already.

Just one question I have. Has anyone tried viewing journal papers on one? I'm doing a PhD at the moment and that'd kinda be a deal breaker.

Edit: Second question. I know it's not designed for direct sunlight but what would it be like to read on in a car, bus, train, etc.?

Last edited by talking_walnut; 06-18-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Thought of a second question
talking_walnut is offline   Reply With Quote