Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Sharing Real Books

I was curious if any of you bibliophiles had a solution for me. The below stuff all has to do with paper books. I've a Kindle which won't read many books that libraries have anyway (that I can't get elsewhere at least.)

Where I live has a few big library systems, but they usually don't have anything I want and only borrow in-system The netflix style book lending programs don't either.

But the next few years, and in seminary, money is going to be very tight and I don't want to have to buy everything I read. I also don't want to trade the books I currently own so book trading clubs or something isn't really an option.

Anyone know any options? Big libraries that will ship books at a good price?

Thanks.
(xposted at ask.metafilter.com)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Where do you live? Most libraries in the US will do an interlibrary loan for items they don't have available locally. There might be a small fee involved, depending on the library.

What is it you want that you can't get?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, looks like I got some bad info regarding the library being able to do inter-library loans. Costs some, but not too bad.

But I'm still open to other ideas as it can take up to 6 weeks to get something that way.

Generally I'm trying to find philosophy, theology, psychology and sociology texts - sometimes in the academic sphere, but not always. Not textbooks, though.

Our state libraries have none of the last 6-7 things I've looked for, so I'm trying to work out some other options. I'll do the 4-6 weeks thing if I have to, but... I'd prefer something a bit faster.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
You might try abebooks.com - it sells used books from hundreds of bookstores. Sometimes you can find books pretty cheaply.

I think, on the whole, you're going to have to choose between fast and cheap.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I find half.com to usually be cheaper than abebooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert