Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Jayne Anne Phillips

After reading a few of her stories ("Sweethearts", "Stripper", "Slave") in various Flash Fiction and other anthologies I realize I must read more of her work. Now admittedly I'm not a novel fan and have not read her novels (yet) but my lord she is a poet! I just finished reading "Fast Lanes" and read "Black Tickets" a month or so ago which contains many flash length works (which she calls one-page fictions).

The stories, the sentences, the images she creates are pure poetry ..... literally in a number of cases .... but it never comes across (at least to me) as over-written or pretentious just very very vivid! There are a couple of her stories where this prose poetry seems true in a literal sense in that those few stories are virtually surreal images and poetry (I'm thinking of "Bluegill"), but almost all her work pushes the boundary of literary poetic greatness. It's no wonder she has received accolades from many corners.

Many of the stories are written in first person and I'm astonished at the various personas she is able to inhabit and writer from -- amazing just simply amazing.

Anyone interested in reading or writing great short fiction must read these:

Black Tickets
Fast Lanes

Incredible stuff!

There are a few excerpts from each of these books on her website: http://jayneannephillips.com/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since I'm independently wealthy and worth billions*, I thought I'd look over her work.

Based on your mentioning this author, I just purchased her novel, "Lark and Termite," which was a National Book Award Finalist a few years ago.

I'll check out her short stories, too.

Thank you for mentioning this writer.

* = I own a large number of Monopoly games.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert