Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Paperwhite Update Coming One of These Days?

Apparently there's a Paperwhite Update coming shortly:

Quote:
The Amazon Kindle team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Thank you for your feedback.

We wanted to let you know that in the coming weeks, a free software update will be coming to Kindle Paperwhite. Among other features, we're adding a setting that will allow customers to control whether or not personalized recommendations appear on the device homepage.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team
Wonder what else they might be 'fixing'?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Nice to know! Thank you for posting this.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Firmware update possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

It would be nice if that firmware update finally solves the screen color problems. Amazon, please read: hint, hint.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think it's possible for a firmware update to solve the color hue problem. I really wish it was though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

That sounds very similar to the update they released for the Fire HD. I seriously doubt a FW update will fix the screen issues. It might fix the font issues though.
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

Kudos to Amazon.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I look forward to it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
I wish they would bring back the old 'progress meter', as well as making it easier to switch on/off the radio.

And while they're at it, why not add some on-screen gestures for light intensity up/down, as well as an option to switch the light off.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
What is the difference with the progress meter between a PW and a Kindle 4 NT?
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
What is the difference with the progress meter between a PW and a Kindle 4 NT?
I don't know. I come straight from the K3 (KK).

There we have a bar along the bottom with 'blobs' representing the chapters, that gets filled in as you read the book. I found it a nice way of seeing roughly how much is left in the current chapter, as well as how many chapters are remaining, all in one neat graph.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Thanks, that sounds pretty much what the K4 has, with a little arrow above the track denoting the point you started reading in this session.

What does the PW have instead?
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Thanks, that sounds pretty much what the K4 has, with a little arrow above the track denoting the point you started reading in this session.

What does the PW have instead?
The PW shows how much 'time' there's left in the chapter or book, as well as progress in percent or pages or 'location'. (Configurable)

(The 'time left' is one of the 'new features' in the PW, and its moderately cool, but I have yet to find a use for it...)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
(The 'time left' is one of the 'new features' in the PW, and its moderately cool, but I have yet to find a use for it...)
maybe to help you figure out how much further to read that night before quitting and going to sleep?

On my K3, I've often stopped reading at what seems like a good break in the action only to find that I'm only a page or two shy of the end of the chapter.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm looking forward to the update. My #1 complaint is how cumbersome it is to turn off wifi. My #2 complaint is the advertising of other books to buy, even when I've paid to take advertising off. My #3 complaint is that the light can't be turned off. My #4 complaint is that I can't ever stop and think with reading or it will recalculate my reading speed. I wish we could just lock that in place, like read for 10 minutes and then lock it down forever and ever, or when you want to reset it.

I've ordered the K4 black and I'm interested to see how it compares to the K4 silver and to the Paperwhite and yes I know I have a problem...
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote