Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Zab
Zab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
using dictionary with pdf and others related stuffs

Hi everybody

I have just tested the "dictionary lookup" functionality with a pdf file. First, it is rather difficult to select a word properly. Either only one letter is highlighted, or all the line... When by chance the word seems correctly highlighted, sometimes the dictionary gives me the definition of only a part of the word, if it means something. For example, I select "function" and it gives me the definition of "unction". Very funny... Sometimes, the word of which definition is given is completely different from the one which is selected. Example for "natural", it gives me the definition of "atypical". Not funny at all ;-)

Is that a known bug?

Moreover, where can I find a english-french dictionary (that can be used while reading pdf files)? I search in the forum, but I didn't find the answer.

Generally I found very difficult to control the highlighting of a word, or of a group of words, for example to add an annotation.

In the same spirit I do not understand at all how to use the "mark" tool. I can mark a word, or a sentence, but when I want to mark another one, the previous mark disappears... o_O. So it completely useless

Thank you for your help

Zab
Zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I have used English dictionary only and i do not face the problem you described.
When i click, the whole word is selected properly instead of line or a letter.

For english-french dictionary : look into this link provided by booxtor
http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/

Last edited by Feher; 04-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
AFAIK dictionary works better in English words than in other languages perhaps because of the accents (á, è ...) as un Spanish or French.
And works worse in Coolreader than in Pdfreader

You could install that dictionaries in the link Feher said.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Zab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I have used English dictionary only and i do not face the problem you described.
When i click, the whole word is selected properly instead of line or a letter.

For english-french dictionary : look into this link provided by booxtor
http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
Thank you for your reply. I tried again, and I always have the same problem. The pdf files I use to read are scientific articles downloaded from the journals sites. These are two-column articles that I have to zoom in order to be able to read them (I choose the "hide the margins" options) and still it is rather small, since the original size is A4. I thought that maybe it was the reason why it is virtually impossible to select properly a word. So I tried to zoom more (200%). The problem does not disappear! It is still very difficult to select a word, and when I succeed it often gives me the definition of a word completely different. Exemple: for "become" I have the definition of "Econ" : abbr. Economics!! For "focus" the choice of this strange dictionary in "ocular". It's absolutely crazy and makes me nervous (300 euros for this!!)

Am I making something wrong? To use the dictionary, I go in the "tools" of the menu, then in "Dictionary lookup", a new frame opens in the screen, with my sthttps://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2513148#ylus I try to mark a word, and the (often) funny definition appears in the frame previously opened... If booxtor could hear this, it will be fine, but he didn't reply to the original post,

ZAB

Last edited by Zab; 05-13-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Zab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
AFAIK dictionary works better in English words than in other languages perhaps because of the accents (á, è ...) as un Spanish or French.
And works worse in Coolreader than in Pdfreader

You could install that dictionaries in the link Feher said.
What is AFAIK dictionary?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab View Post
What is AFAIK dictionary?
Afaik: As far as I know
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Zab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
Afaik: As far as I know
Ah OK I'm not a regular visitor of discussions forums. No idea about my dictionary problems?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
imanzano
imanzano began at the beginning.

I have the same problem with the last firmware (Update 2013-07-17) reading a epub file with "cool reader" (english language). The word is selected right but the dictionary gets a part of it or a misspelled word. It makes the dictionary useless for me, I dont know how to edit the word.

Last edited by imanzano; 09-07-2013 at 11:55 AM.
imanzano is offline   Reply With Quote