Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
What's the most un-put-downable book you've read lately?

This is not about being high-brow literature, but simply can't-get-anything-done-until-this-book-is-over type literature.

So the two books I've read recently that fall into this category are

The Panther by Nelson Demille
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl especially is hard to recommend exactly, because the characters certainly aren't likable, but at the same time, I couldn't stop reading it. It was kind of like watching a train wreck.

How about you?

Last edited by maxbookworm; 01-25-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Typo
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn.

Love star wars and the idea of a heist novel is great! Plus it takes place between Star Wars and Empire so it doesn't get bogged down in the whole expanded universe mess.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My most recent un-put-downable was a book I picked up for free quite a while ago when The Black Library started an ebook store.

Dan Abnett's First and Only. A military science fiction novel that seems to never stop moving. Just about finished with the third in the series. I'm impressed with Black Library and the novels it's putting out.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
China Mieville's "The City and the City." His prose was not his usual hot sticky mess so it was much more 'can't put it down' than his other works.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Bangkok Wet by Simon Royle.
I was very lucky - I was able to get an Advance Reader Copy. The ebook will be published very soon, I believe.
Lots of unpredictable twists and turns, fast action, a few very likeable mobsters, guns, fast cars, crocidile pits, exotic location ... Great mix.

It is a sequel to his book Bangkok Burn.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Most recently it was The Pines by Blake Crouch. A gripping and mysterious story about a man waking up in a strange village with no memory of how he got there. And he can't seem to leave. A fast read, heavily influenced by Twin Peaks, that is now being made into a TV series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I just finished a binge of Richard Stark's (Donald Westlake) "Parker" series. They were like eating potato chips - I just couldn't stop until I had consumed all of them
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Black Library's Warhammer 40,000 Ultra Marines Volume 2, Wariors of Ultramar
The Space Marines face of against invasion of the Tyranid aliens, kept me up a few nights to see if the good ole boys would win this death match.

Current book is shaping up to be much the same thing, its the sequel:

Black Library's Warhammer 40,000 Ultra Marines Volume three Black Sky Dark Sun
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto plus more

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Most recently it was The Pines by Blake Crouch. A gripping and mysterious story about a man waking up in a strange village with no memory of how he got there. And he can't seem to leave. A fast read, heavily influenced by Twin Peaks, that is now being made into a TV series.
to The Pines! Also A Taint in the Blood, A Deeper Sleep & Whisper to the Blood, all 3 are Kate Shugak mysteries by Dana Stabenow and as well 2 Leaphorn/Chee mysteries by Tony Hillerman, Hunting Badger & The Wailing Wind, and finally Cold Days by Jim Butcher, book 14 of THe Dresden Files. Whew, what a run-on sentence!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
A sorta shared-universe series called Shadow Unit (the first one was free on amazon last month.)

A group of SF authors got together and designed stories as if they had been novelizations of tv scripts, except the tv show didn't exist. Sort of a combo of CSI with elements of Xfiles but some real extra-sensory elements. An "anomaly" can influence/take over an individual under severe stress, and give that person limited "powers" that depend upon how the person thinks of themself. Somebody might be able to kill with a touch, someone else might be able to cause an effect like a bullet wound even though the gun doesn't fire, etc.

There's an associated website, fake blog entries that readers can interact with, etc, but most of the material has been assembled into ebooks as if it was a season or several episodes. I just went through all twelve.

Look for "Shadow Unit 1" on amazon or smashwords.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I just finished a binge of Richard Stark's (Donald Westlake) "Parker" series. They were like eating potato chips - I just couldn't stop until I had consumed all of them
Thumbs up to this, though I space them out. It's like cleansing the pallet after a long or tedious read from another author. I still have a few to go, and am treasuring them.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Surprisingly, because it's not my usual reading genre, it recently was "John Wayne Gacy, Defending a Monster" by Judge Sam L. Amirante and Danny Broderick. I noticed it on the recently returned list at my library while browsing and it got my interest when I read how he got his attorney.

I was in the middle of another book but I started Gacy and just couldn't put it down. It's possible it was just a much creepier read for me being familiar with the area and knowing the exact locations, buildings, and even the bridge he dumped bodies from. But I checked it out one day and returned it 2 days later.

And I'd have to agree the feeling was like maxbookworm said... it was like watching a train wreck you couldn't take your eyes away from.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I found Gone Girl extremely over-rated, imho. But her earlier novel Dark Places was fabulous.

Lately? The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Read it in paper years ago, got the ebook to reclaim shelf space and was going to just do a quick check for typos, then I got engrossed.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Killing Floor by Lee Child. Read it in a day, neglected all other household/family duties.

First book in a long time I had trouble putting down.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Room by Emma Donoghue. It was told from the point of view of a little boy who had never been outside of this room, which made it weird and, based on what I read in the reviews, made a lot of people hate it. But I could not stop reading it.

Before that, The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. I love everything by this author.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote