Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
tehender
tehender began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Allowing Kindle Paperwhite to browse internet over 3G

It seems like the Kindle Paperwhite cannot go on the internet with the browser over 3G. When I try to use the browser it asks me to connect to wifi. Is there any way to bypass this? It might be useful to have this for the hurricane, just in case (I live in NE).
tehender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehender View Post
It seems like the Kindle Paperwhite cannot go on the internet with the browser over 3G. When I try to use the browser it asks me to connect to wifi. Is there any way to bypass this? It might be useful to have this for the hurricane, just in case (I live in NE).
I believe discussions about this are strongly advised against here at MobileRead, but I could be wrong here.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
tehender

I'm wondering this out of necessity. If the power remains out for days here, it would be nice to have a device with a fairly long battery life to check the news and send email occasionally. Perhaps all the mobile towers will be out too, but its worth knowing how if its possible.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A Google search should find the info you request. But that is as far as we allow the discussion to go.

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
It didn't close!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Nate

Why is how to jailbreak the Kindle an acceptable subject and how to bypass the restriction on 3G use not.

(I'm asking about policy, not morals, in case that isn't clear.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A Kindle "jailbreak" only adds signature keys to the signature data files.

Using the 3G service outside of the Amazon agreement involves the user (and the web-site that describes how) in legal issues.
In the USA, it can be argued to come under the general term: "Theft of Services".

That is the primary distinguishing difference between the two.

With that in mind, you can find the question of web-site policy in the guidelines.
(page down to bottom of page, find link to guidelines, read them.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess this thread is probably not the place to discuss forum policies - which would apply to more than this sub-forum.

Personally, I see a big difference. The legislation is certainly not globally unique in this area, but there's often something like "fair use" policy or an allowance to modify hardware you buy. Jailbreaking would be a fundamental right of any user under such circumstances. Ethics aside, tethering is a different matter here. It's technically supported lying to Amazon in order to make them give you what they didn't agree to give you in the first place. I'm not so fluent with US laws, but here in Germany, jailbreaking would (most probably) be acceptible under the law, tethering would (most probably) be a crime.

Edit: thanks knc1 for shedding light on the US situation. I guess similar laws will exist in a lot more legislations nowadays. Back in the day, they needed to draft a new law for this over here in Germany since "theft" implies taking a physical something from someone and "fraud" only applied when making other persons err in your favour - so now there's "computer fraud" over here.

Last edited by hawhill; 10-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same conclusion, different words.

When slm reads the guidelines, there will be found directions to contact the site operator with questions about site policy by PM.
**Not** in the forums.

My post above assumed the slm would find those directions on their own.
Which may have been an error on my part.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Just because multiple kindle 3G models when completely stock (not hacked) have a social networking "feature" (or design flaw) that allows you to escape the amazon/wikipedia "3G walled garden" just by clicking links, it may be LEGAL (because amazon provided it by design, even if accidentally).

However, from a moral point of view, that "feature" should not be abused because amazon ATTEMPTED to restrict full internet access (when using the "experimental browser") for a reason (so that they could sell these kindles for less money with less "future internet access" preloaded into the selling price). Just because built-in social networking has fewer restrictions than the web browser is no reason to abuse it.

Please do not abuse things just because "you can", or we will all suffer from "tragedy of the commons" in our kindle 3G service.

EDIT: However, that said, Jesse Vincent has documented this procedure for the Paperwhite in his blog, so just do as Nate the great said above and you will find what you seek. Please do not abuse it (i.e. emergency use only). Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-29-2012 at 10:28 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
tehender

Thanks for the responses. I did not realize this was so controversial. The hurricane is getting pretty close, but I am expecting to be ok.

However, for some people in more isolated parts or in other disaster situations, this feature could be a life saver. Most people do not have things like ham radios anymore and if blackouts last more than 2-3 days most of their phones and laptops will be out of power. Getting a signal on their kindle to get information and contact someone could really save lives. In this case, is it not unethical for Amazon to prevent people from using this feature regardless of the legal issues?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehender View Post
Thanks for the responses. I did not realize this was so controversial. The hurricane is getting pretty close, but I am expecting to be ok.

However, for some people in more isolated parts or in other disaster situations, this feature could be a life saver. Most people do not have things like ham radios anymore and if blackouts last more than 2-3 days most of their phones and laptops will be out of power. Getting a signal on their kindle to get information and contact someone could really save lives. In this case, is it not unethical for Amazon to prevent people from using this feature regardless of the legal issues?
If someone dies as a result of the limits to 3G usage that Amazon expects to not be subverted - then just sue them.
If the court share's your opinion, they will be found liable.

Translation:
It is a waste of time and bandwidth to discuss this subject here.
This forum isn't going to change anything that Amazon does.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Edit: knc1 was faster - again. The following is another reply to tehender.

I guess this would be a question that deserves being asked when we hear about a case where Amazon would have sued after such a situation. I can perfectly understand they generally exclude it, not unethical to me up to that point (well, I have my own political opinions about how the Net should be free, but that's going too far to make a point in this discussion and this forum). And I have a hard time seeing that there's a discrimination at hand, i.e. something targeted at the people who may have legitimate needs to violate Amazons TOS.

A point could be made that 3G devices should provide mandatory emergency communication support. GSM did in fact standardize that and here in Germany (and I think on most GSM carriers worldwide) it's de facto implemented for each and every mobile phone. (However, they switched off the feature to connect without a SIM card here - but a Kindle _has_ a fixed SIM card installed.) On tablets/reading devices however, the image has changed. I guess the line has to be drawn at some point - applications for 3G devices are so broad it is hard to imagine to support emergency communications on each one of them.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

There are similar exceptions for "emergency communications" in the USA also, at least in the public communications services.

But Amazon is providing access to the private network they pay for.
And nothing over here tells a private network operator how to run their business.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are similar exceptions for "emergency communications" in the USA also, at least in the public communications services.

But Amazon is providing access to the private network they pay for.
And nothing over here tells a private network operator how to run their business.
Actually, we DO have a federal rule that says that cell carriers MUST provide free 911 emergency access for cell phones that are not active or prepaid. The carriers are mandated to provide that service for free for any old cell phone, even if you buy it used at a flea market.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote