Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Suppress Cover Inclusion

My question is - how to convert from RTF to EPUB and suppress the inclusion of a cover of any sort, default or specific.

Or to put it another way way, how to create an EPUB from an RTF, without including a cover.jpeg and without a titlepage.xhtml

The documents I'm converting from RTF to EPUB, don't have any covers as such.

However I find it useful to create a default cover via the Metadata Editor, and eventually I want to create my own Custom Default Cover that includes additional metadata on it and I wont want that in the EPUB file either.

The only way I've found to create an EPUB without a cover, is to delete the default cover, and check to No Default Cover option in the EPUB output options and then do the conversion.

Tweak Book is not a viable option, as I have about 800 documents I'd like to convert, of which about 200 are dynamic, i.e. they get updated - some monthly others quarterly.

Thanks
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you have no default cover checked under preferences>epub output it won't put in a cover unless it is already in the file you are converting. This setting remains the default if selected under preferences.

I also have no svg cover and remove first image checked.

Also if you have original file tweak on then your original file in any format will be never be modified.

Probaby I am not understanding the problem ut the best I can think of.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you have no default cover checked under preferences>epub output it won't put in a cover unless it is already in the file you are converting. This setting remains the default if selected under preferences.
Thanks Helen.

The source files have no cover - they are primarily academic papers, some are even plain ascii text.

I'll post some screen shots to help explain

Quote:
I also have no svg cover and remove first image checked.
ditto

and

Quote:
Also if you have original file tweak on then your original file in any format will be never be modified.
If you mean the one I think you do, then I have it set to false, I rely on Windows 7 file versioning and my backup processes to get me back to earlier versions.

If I have no cover - as in the following I get an epub with no cover.

If I have a generated cover - as in the following I get an epub with a cover, despite all the other things being EXACTLY the same.

If I put a picture of my cat in the book folder, and name the file cover.jpg, then that picture will be the cover in the epub file.

Cheers BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 0.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	86837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	86838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 3.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	86839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 4.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	86840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	86841  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I found another thread on this, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73314

That thread is Oct 2010, but it seems it couldn't be done back then either

The Ducks recommended using Sigil, I think I'll just remove the cover before I convert and put it back after, I had a look at Sigil a while back, can't see that I need it - apart from this maybe, which I can do by delete cover and regenerate or with Tweak Book.

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-25-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@BetterRed - you have a slightly unusual situation. if I understand it you have books that have a calibre cover already, which you want to see in your calibre library but removed from the book itself. And as you have found the only option you have to not have a cover in your book is to turn off the default calibre cover option, *and* not have a cover image associated with the book at the time you convert, right?

You should keep an eye out for the next version of the Modify ePub plugin, I'm going to push the next beta version up sometime today. It includes as of a few minutes ago a "Remove existing cover" option. So you should be able to just run that against your books, rather than reconverting them, saving you the hassle of clearing and adding back covers. You might also want to take a look at the Generate Cover plugin if you want a potentially prettier default cover in your library than the standard calibre one.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@BetterRed - you have a slightly unusual situation. if I understand it you have books that have a calibre cover already, which you want to see in your calibre library but removed from the book itself.
Thanks kiwidude,

Yep, that's my 'requirement' exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You might also want to take a look at the Generate Cover plugin if you want a potentially prettier default cover in your library than the standard calibre one.
Actually I want an ugly default cover, with more information

I already grabbed the Generate Cover plugin, but I've not looked at it yet, pending resolution of this issue,

I'll also download Modify now and look forward to the next version

Thanks BR
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe

If you mean the one I think you do, then I have it set to false, I rely on Windows 7 file versioning and my backup processes to get me back to earlier versions.
I have the origianl file set to true. Then I know what my starting point is. If I use tweak epub to remove a cover or some formatting then I delete the prior original_epub if it exists. For me the advantage of having the untampered with file immediately available outweighs the extra disk space etc.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote